• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will Blackfriars Underground station re-open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Lewis

Does anyone know what the official re-opening date is for this station? I can't find anything on either the tfl website or on the Thameslink Programme website, apart from "late December".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheJRB

Established Member
According to the stations closure document on the TfL website which was correct at time of publication on 5 October, it will reopen on Monday 19th December.

However I'm not sure it's certain it will reopen then because, as you have pointed out, the date hasn't been mentioned in many places.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
According to the stations closure document on the TfL website which was correct at time of publication on 5 October, it will reopen on Monday 19th December.

However I'm not sure it's certain it will reopen then because, as you have pointed out, the date hasn't been mentioned in many places.

It has been planned for Dec 2011 ever since the closure though, ie to reopen coincident with Thameslink Key Output 1 when 12 car running starts.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Looking good. Will be really nice when the S7-stock is stopping there!

BTW, given how new Wood Lane station is, any idea why there aren't any platform screens to show how long until the next train? Or are they VERY well hidden?!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am not sure if the technology exists in that part of the world yet to display real time information.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Really? I did notice I couldn't even check 'next train' info on my Tube app.

Wow - no wonder the BBC is moving. :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I am not sure if the technology exists in that part of the world yet to display real time information.

It doesn't. That's why you get a bloke doing PA announcements at Paddington H&C along the lines of 'the next train is just leaving Royal Oak'. Until you can see the front you won't know where it is going - (and neither will the signallers I reckon...) :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
Can I ask why this line doesn't offer such basic info in this day and age?!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is not necessary to provide this system now as the new signalling system will allow information to be provided once it is rolled out.

district

On track (if you'll pardon the pun) for the 18th December.

My tube driver friend says that the floor is down, ceiling is up, walls have been tiled, emergency exits in place, signs and roundels up.

New D78 carriage stickers for Blackfriars open and Cannon Street same hours are ready to rollout, but they'll have to do it again for the Olympia weekday closure from December 11th.

philjo

Established Member
Does anyone know the date when the new southern entrance for Blackfriars opens?
Is it the same date as the Underground reopening or when the timetable changes?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the date when the new southern entrance for Blackfriars opens?
Is it the same date as the Underground reopening or when the timetable changes?

'In December' is all they've announced so far:

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/cms/pages/view/68

but taken altogether it does read as though the 12 car trains, the underground reopening, and the south bank entrance are all happening about the same time; so I'd be assuming on the timetable change date.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I went to Blackfriars for the first time in about a year - OMG!! It's come on a long way hasn't it!

It was a little annoying that I had to be on the south bank, and so had to walk what seems like miles to exit the station, then a long detour over the road to get back to the bridge. What a difference it will be when the new exit opens.

But, it really is impressive and I can't wait to see the completed station upstairs and downstairs. They were very busy yesterday too!

Simon11

Established Member
I've heard the same Dstock, it will be around January, but I didn't catch the reason why.

TFL seems to be hiding from the potential bad publicity......

Be interesting to see what happens when it does open and tfl claims how good it is..... avoiding the reason for the delay

Class377/5

Established Member
Very early Jan now.

Reason why TfL is quiet as its not hem doing the work. It's part of the Thameslink Programme. Until its handed over to TfL they can't confirm a date.

Status
Not open for further replies.