• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will TPE direct Liverpool to Glasgow and Edinburgh trains start running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cle

Established Member
So given the point about Liverpool to Cumbria/the Lakes, which I also mentioned, then perhaps if there is capacity then an hourly service from there to Glasgow or at least Carlisle would be well-used throughout the route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Liverpool went through a tough time economically but has come out the other side and is increasingly popular destination for culture and as a cruise ship boarding point - just the sort of passengers who will want through trains.

frodshamfella

Established Member
The population on the Furness and Lakes lines are far more linked to Manchester than Liverpool - I don’t think losing their 195s and Manchester services would go down well (unless it was separate, at which point you’d have to question whether the demand is there)

Why would that be ?

driver_m

Established Member
I might start suggesting that Birmingham punters should start to change at Stafford if they want to go to Manchester or Derby if they wanted to go to Leeds. Or maybe Leeds should have everything terminate at York heading North because they can make do with a refurbed 170.

'''Thats ridiculous" I hear you say......

Yet the people of Merseyside can make do with a dog eared unit to Wigan. Double standards ahoy on here. Only today it's been announced as the 3rd Worst congested area in the country after Manchester.

Last edited by a moderator:

fowler9

Established Member
I might start suggesting that Birmingham punters should start to change at Stafford if they want to go to Manchester or Derby if they wanted to go to Leeds. Or maybe Leeds should have everything terminate at York heading North because they can make do with a refurbed 170.

Yet the people of Merseyside can make do with a dog eared unit to Wigan. Double standards ahoy on here. Only today it's been announced as the 3rd Worst congested area in the country after Manchester. Not too bad for a place the Tories tried to kill.
Well that is just how it is. The former second city of the Empire can just rot and pick up direct trains from more important places like Crewe, Warrington, Wigan and Preston.

AndrewE

Established Member
The Edinburgh-Birmingham ... until Haymarket, where they always seem to show up late and get in the way of the Glasgow-Edinburghs)
That's not my experience. They (and the Manchester airport trains) all seem to have 4 or 5 minutes padding in the schedules north of Carstairs and usually have to wait at Gorgie for access into Haymarket. I guess the Airport trains are currently being hit by the Piccadilly shambles though, so they probably are all late.
Well that is just how it is. The former second city of the Empire can just rot and pick up direct trains from more important places like Crewe, Warrington, Wigan and Preston.
At least that gives Liverpudlians more options for journeys to Scotland: From Crewe your only northbound service is the hourly class 9, whether you want to go to Warrington, the Lake District or Scotland. I suppose you could pay more and go via Manchester Airport for the latter two, but the extra time and unreliability rule it out. In future we might be able to get a decent service via Lime St...

frodshamfella

Established Member
That's not my experience. They (and the Manchester airport trains) all seem to have 4 or 5 minutes padding in the schedules north of Carstairs and usually have to wait at Gorgie for access into Haymarket. I guess the Airport trains are currently being hit by the Piccadilly shambles though, so they probably are all late.
At least that gives Liverpudlians more options for journeys to Scotland: From Crewe your only northbound service is the hourly class 9, whether you want to go to Warrington, the Lake District or Scotland. I suppose you could pay more and go via Manchester Airport for the latter two, but the extra time and unreliability rule it out. In future we might be able to get a decent service via Lime St...

Lets hope so !! At one time i think all Scottish trains went via Ormskirk.

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Yet the people of Merseyside can make do with a dog eared unit to Wigan. Double standards ahoy on here. Only today it's been announced as the 3rd Worst congested area in the country after Manchester. Not too bad for a place the Tories tried to kill.

I don't want to get into the last sentence (it won't advance the case for now) - otherwise, good point, well made.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Liverpool became a case of "let's rationalise the services to make our life easier" syndrome - run everything into Manchester and make the unlucky punters change. BR started it, but it got worse in the run up to privatisation.

This is the same process as happened with the NW + Brum to Norwich + Cambridge + Ipswich trains. You used to be able to get a variety of through services: now, you can do Brum - Cambridge - (Stansted) every hour, ditto Liverpool - Norwich. But no variety - to do Brum to Norwich, etc, you have to change. Simple. Keeps costs (route knowledge) down, layover times standard. Good for those that want the routes direct, but forces a change on any who want stations off the chosen routes.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Why would that be ?

Because would you be happy if your new trains and recently regained direct services (baring in mind that 1tph Manchester for most of the day is a franchise commitment because of political pressure) was removed to make Liverpool happy?

route101

Established Member
The question is, why doesn't everyone else ?

I can only give you anecdotal evidence, but when I'm changing at Wigan from a southbound WC service I frequently hear a fair few people with a touch of Weegie about them boarding Liverpool-bound trains. There will also be those like me who change at Wigan when coming from Preston, Lancaster and points further north inside England, as the lack of any more than an hourly train north of Wigan frequently makes this quicker.

Always thought the links between Glasgow and Liverpool were to do with the Irish coming over . I feel that if a new service will be offered will stimulate demand and the service will be well used . Bit like the Manchester route but not as much .

Edinburgh services are often busier up the WCML , arent they mostly 9 car 390s theough?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Quick question, why can't Liverpool passengers change at Warrington, Wigan or Preston for Scotland?
They do at present, but a through service is planned to operate from sometime next year.

From now on if anyone is suggesting that any proposed or existing service operates in a different way, we ask that this idea is posted in 'Speculative Ideas' to avoid distracting the thread discussing what is actually happening. Many thanks in advance :)

As we have the answer and there are unlikely to be any updates for a while, I am closing the thread.

As for the historical discussion, I think that is really interesting but it deserves its own thread in the correct section. I have therefore split the discussion to a dedicated thread: Historical Liverpool to Scotland through service via Ormskirk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.