• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where does my season ticket end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvlarky_130y

Hello,
I have a TRI-EUS annual gold card but need to get to West Brompton on Thursday morning instead of Euston. My question is, where does my season ticket validity end and can I just buy a return from this station to West Brompton and use it in conjunction with my season?

Also, does doing this limit which trains I can take, as the 0722 TRI-ECR runs straight through with no changes needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
I think that your season ticket covers you for Tring to Willesden Junction.

As one of your tickets is a season ticket, there is no requirement for your train to stop at the station where you switch from one ticket to another. So you could buy a Willesden Junction to West Brompton ticket.

However, as you say, the 0722 does not call at Willesden Junction but does call at Wembley Central. As it happens, for journeys via Kensington Olympia, tickets from Wembley Central to West Brompton are the same price as tickets from Willesden Junction to West Brompton.

So a Wembley Central to West Brompton ticket would be another option at no extra cost.

It would of course be cheaper to use Oyster or contactless PAYG for the last leg to West Brompton (£2.40 peak as opposed to £4.90 paper single), but that would involve alighting at Wembley Central, touching in, and then possibly having to catch a subsequent train

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The thing that isn't entirely clear is whether Willesden Junction is on the WCML or not. Arguably it's not, in which case you'd want a ticket from Wembley Central (the last station southbound at which there are platforms on the WCML proper), at which the train stops anyway so no issues about non-stopping splits.

If however it's a Travelcard (to zone 1-6) you can just use it to West Brompton.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It would of course be cheaper to use Oyster or contactless PAYG for the last leg to West Brompton (£2.40 peak as opposed to £4.90 paper single), but that would involve alighting at Wembley Central, touching in, and then possibly having to catch a subsequent train

...an hour later, so probably not viable.

Unless there are Oyster pads on the platform?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
...an hour later, so probably not viable.

Unless there are Oyster pads on the platform?

No Oyster pads on the platform, but once at Wembley Central you can use the Bakerloo/LO to Willesden Junction and another LO to West Brompton, so you won't be waiting anywhere near an hour.

lvlarky_130y

It's only a London Terminals ticket.
I think the best course of action is to jump off at Wembley Central, validate the Oyster and continue that way. Still seems the cheapest even as I'll be doing the same journey in reverse later on that day. Or is it? Does a return from Wembley Central to West Brompton allow for a gold card discount?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's only a London Terminals ticket.
I think the best course of action is to jump off at Wembley Central, validate the Oyster and continue that way. Still seems the cheapest even as I'll be doing the same journey in reverse later on that day. Or is it? Does a return from Wembley Central to West Brompton allow for a gold card discount?

Not at that time of the morning. However, get your gold card added to your Oyster card and if the return journey is outside peak hours (1600-1900) you'll get a discount on the PAYG fare.

kieron

Established Member
The thing that isn't entirely clear is whether Willesden Junction is on the WCML or not.
Doesn't matter, as nationalrail.co.uk lists Willesden Junction as being on a valid route for a Tring-London ticket.

Regarding the original question, a Willesden Junction-Clapham High Street return with route "Kensington Olympia" costs £4.10. Oyster from Willesden Junction would cost £1.70 peak or £1.50 off-peak (less with a railcard), but that's the best price I've found for paper tickets.

kieron

Established Member
I see what you mean now. If the 0720 from Milton Keynes to East Croydon doesn't go through Willesden Junction, then Tring-Shepherd's Bush-Willesden Junction-London Euston is a valid route if you use that train followed by two London Overground ones.

If it does, then the train is on a Tring-London route until it passes Willesden Junction.

Either way, a Tring-London season ticket and a ticket from Willesden Junction to wherever is a valid combination of tickets for passage from Tring to West Brompton.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Either way, a Tring-London season ticket and a ticket from Willesden Junction to wherever is a valid combination of tickets for passage from Tring to West Brompton.

Only if you use LO. My take on 19(c) and successor is that the train does have to pass through the changeover station - that seems to be the intuitive view.

A Wembley Central one is valid on the through train, and as someone said upthread is the same price. It also avoids any arguments about 19(c) or successor, as all relevant trains stop there. This, if not using Oyster, is therefore the best ticket to use.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Only if you use LO. My take on 19(c) and successor is that the train does have to pass through the changeover station - that seems to be the intuitive view.
Sorry, Neil. Without a quote, I can't guess which alternative route you feel doesn't pass through Willesden Junction.

John @ home

Established Member
In the same way that trains passing through and those taking the avoiding line at Didcot are both deemed to pass through Didcot routeing point, it is my understanding that all trains passing through the station or taking an avoiding line at Willesden Jn are deemed to pass through Willesden Jn routeing point. It appears that this is achieved in each case by having a mandatory timing point for all trains using the avoiding line.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry, Neil. Without a quote, I can't guess which alternative route you feel doesn't pass through Willesden Junction.

The Southern MKC-East Croydon services on the south WCML which would be used by the OP for this journey (unless he uses Oyster) do not pass through Willesden Junction. They turn right just before it.

OK, there is an easement on the GWR that says that trains taking the Didcot avoiding line are considered to pass through the station, and the situation is similar. However there is no such easement for Willesden, therefore I can't see how these trains can be considered to pass through it.
In the same way that trains passing through and those taking the avoiding line at Didcot are both deemed to pass through Didcot routeing point, it is my understanding that all trains passing through the station or taking an avoiding line at Willesden Jn are deemed to pass through Willesden Jn routeing point. It appears that this is achieved in each case by having a mandatory timing point for all trains using the avoiding line.

Do you have evidence for this i.e. a Routeing Guide easement as I neither believe this to be correct nor can I see why it should be?

FWIW, RTT does not show these trains as passing through Willesden Junction station.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W74634/2016/11/29/advanced

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The Southern MKC-East Croydon services on the south WCML which would be used by the OP for this journey (unless he uses Oyster) do not pass through Willesden Junction. They turn right just before it.

Technically they leave the WCML to the east side just before Willesden Junction, but the flyunder comes back up at the site of Willesden Junction, on the west side of the fast lines. The lines then go off to the west just south of the station site, about level with the depot.

But if a Wembley Central ticket is the same price as a Willesden Junction one, I don't see the point of buying the Willesden Junction one.

If the OP is intending to use Oyster via the London Overground then they won't need to touch in until Willesden Junction, and they can do the touch in on the platform at Willesden Junction using the pink Oyster reader.

RJ

Established Member
The thing that isn't entirely clear is whether Willesden Junction is on the WCML or not. Arguably it's not, in which case you'd want a ticket from Wembley Central (the last station southbound at which there are platforms on the WCML proper), at which the train stops anyway so no issues about non-stopping splits.

Willesden Junction is treated as on the WCML for ticketing purposes.

kieron

Established Member
Not directly. What counts for journey planners (as I understand it) is whether or not a train is timed at a location identified as having the station's CRS code in the current ttisf???.msn file in the timetable data available from ATOC's site.

Didcot Parkway (DID) is assocated with DIDCOTP (Didcot Parkway), DIDCTNJ (Didcot North Junction) and DIDCTEJ (Didcot East Junction). Didcot Parkway and Didcot North Junction are mandatory timing points, and everything using the avoiding line goes through Didcot North Junction, so trains which they're all treated as going through Didcot Parkway.

By contrast, Carnforth isn't associated with any point on the West Coast Mainline, so trains on that line aren't considered by journey planners to go through the station, despite physically going through the station premises.

---

My apologies, I should have been clearer. I meant "which alternative route between Tring and London you feel doesn't pass through Willesden Junction". The route you mentioned one part of does, as that is where you would change between the two London Overground trains if you continued on to London.

Clause 14.1 of the Conditions of Travel say:

"Unless shown below, you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey provided that the train services you use call at the station(s) where you change from one Ticket to another."

If you change from one ticket to the other at Shepherd's Bush, and the train stops there, you may use any of the combinations of ticket referred to in this thread.
OK, there is an easement on the GWR that says that trains taking the Didcot avoiding line are considered to pass through the station, and the situation is similar.
Which easement do you mean here?
But if a Wembley Central ticket is the same price as a Willesden Junction one, I don't see the point of buying the Willesden Junction one.
If.

A paper Wembley Central-West Brompton return "via Kensington Olympia" costs £4.90.
A paper Willesden Junction-West Brompton return "via Kensington Olympia" also costs £4.90.

However:

On Oyster, Wembley Central-West Brompton via Kensington Olympia* costs £4.80 if both outward and return journeys are at peak times, or £3.40 if the return is off peak with a railcard.
On Oyster, Willesden Junction-West Brompton via Kensington Olympia* costs £3.40 if both outward and return journeys are at peak times, or £2.70 if the return is off peak with a railcard.
A paper Wembley Central-Clapham High Street return "via Kensington Olympia" costs £6.20.
A paper Willesden Junction-Clapham High Street return "via Kensington Olympia" costs £4.10.

* The TfL site lists higher fares for a change at London Euston, but I don't know how much routes which avoid Kensington Olympia and Euston would be charged.

Last edited:

lvlarky_130y

So I think what we're saying is that there are multitude of options! I believe TRI-HRW, off at HRW, onward to WIJ, then off to validate oyster and onward to WBP?

Hey, isn't all this stuff about Willesden Jnc a little off topic? If the OP has a ticket to London Terminals surely it's valid to London Waterloo in any case.... ? BR fares reports that such a journey is issued as 'London Terminals' not 'London Waterloo'.

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
Hey, isn't all this stuff about Willesden Jnc a little off topic? If the OP has a ticket to London Terminals surely it's valid to London Waterloo in any case.... ? BR fares reports that such a journey is issued as 'London Terminals' not 'London Waterloo'.

Just because a ticket is issued to 'London Terminals' doesn't mean it's valid at all of them (it could make for some 'interesting' loopholes otherwise :lol:) ;)

causton

Established Member

Will have to check, but Watford Jn - London Terminals has specifically different fares routed via Ken Olympia / Clapham Junction.

As to the original question, we would sell a ticket from Willesden Junction in my booking office :lol:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

It's only valid to appropriate London Terminal. Without checking the Routeing Guide I believe the only appropriate London Terminal for Tring is Euston.

Status
Not open for further replies.