• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where's your local hotspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffer68

Sorry if this thread has been done before but just wonder where your local hotspots are.

I suppose my nearest big hotspot would be Eastleigh - the day I was there, there was a real mixture of trains including Tornado - must try and get back there during the week.

My other hotspot is only a couple of miles away and is Branksome station. This is on the main line between Bournemouth and Poole. The set up is really good and the old line to Bournemouth West is at the end of the platforms and leads to the Bournemouth Rail Works; apparently there is quite a good movement of stock in and out. A class 66 came out of the yard on Friday and then went to Poole and collected a damaged MPV and later brought it through on the way to Eastleigh. I shall be back to Branksome quite a bit i think.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swinton (S Yorks) or Doncaster as most freight avoids Sheffield unless going to the peak district.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
My Hotspots Are The Railway Children Walk,which is just a great view which you can see parts of Hither green shed on a sunny day and you can also see the Grove Park traction and maitenence depot full of Class 465s and Class 375s.

My other one is a bridge where trains going from Grove Park enter Elmstead Woods Tunnel (572 yards) for Elmstead Woods,Orpington Etc... some times you get some good workings some Class 67s (not from Hither Green) class 66s,73s and on one occasion 60163 tornado!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Newport would be my nearest hotspot, plenty of freight and passenger operations passing through! Shame it's around 65 miles away from me though :-x

Otherwise it would be Hereford. Some freight and a fair bit of passenger operations, still around 20 miles away though :-x

pinkpanther

My other hotspot is only a couple of miles away and is Branksome station. This is on the main line between Bournemouth and Poole.

I'm just down the line from there, a couple of hundred yards from Bournemouth station... :grin:

I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later - would love to have a chat about the S&D project, at the very least.

Teaboy1

ECML twixt Bawtry and Scrooby, can probably view a mile of track uninterrupted.....Thursday was hot.....about 36...pheww:lol::lol:

Buffer68

I'm just down the line from there, a couple of hundred yards from Bournemouth station... :grin:

I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later - would love to have a chat about the S&D project, at the very least.

It would certainly seem that our paths will cross one day. I had a few hours on Bournemouth station a couple of weeks ago - nothing too exciting but a handful of 220s and 221s from Manchester were very nice.

Branksome is superb - locos and trains coming in and out of Bmth works occasionally and possibility of good photos from different angles.

The S&D project is going to be brilliant; website: www.somersetanddorsetrailway.co.uk

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2388023865

bluebottle

I'm Bournemouth, used to work in Southammpton which was good for freight. Branksome's always been good for odd workings.

mumrar

Established Member
Well, I'm surrounded by railways being in the South Midlands. Within easy drive are the Lickey bank with routes to Worcester and Cheltenham, Cotswold line, Gloucester Warks preserved and Severn Valley. I can also get to see the Shakespeare Express on both routes it uses, being about 6 miles from Wood End

Established Member
Currently, I have a couple.
The main one is just by the end of the runway at Edinburgh airport; there's a bridge over the track at one side, and the tracks are completely straight for about a mile beyond. The linespeed's 80mph, and it's mostly a mix of 158s and 170s, with 6 XC Voyagers, 6 NXEC HSTs, and the Fife Circle loco hauled train that passes 4 times a day.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8793/cnv00008b.jpg

The second is about 50yds down from the level crossing on the ECML by Longniddry, there's a wall by the side of the road (Not the dual carriageway side of the tracks) which is about 4ft high on that side, but only about 1ft high on the other, with the tracks of the ECML about 4ft away. The linespeed's 110mph, and you get a mix of 322s mostly, XC Voyagers, NXEC HSTs and 225s.

There are a few others in and around Longniddry.

pinkpanther

It would certainly seem that our paths will cross one day. I had a few hours on Bournemouth station a couple of weeks ago - nothing too exciting but a handful of 220s and 221s from Manchester were very nice.

There's not a great deal of variety there now it's true - mostly 444s and Voyagers, with the occasional 66 or 3-CIG if you're lucky. A far cry from it's past, sadly - but that's the way things go I guess. Still, if you happen to be under the canopy when a railtour is running through it's a great setting.

Any problems with the station staff re photography there? I've not taken any pictures on the station itself yet (mainly because of the lack of variety in the traffic - if I know something it coming it's easier to pick one of the nearby bridges than rush down to the platforms) so I've no idea whether photographers are welcome there (I know they should be, but you never know...).

Branksome is superb - locos and trains coming in and out of Bmth works occasionally and possibility of good photos from different angles.

I can imagine. I'll have to wander down there someday when I have the time. :)

The S&D project is going to be brilliant; website: www.somersetanddorsetrailway.co.uk

I've been browsing that, and it looks like a great prospect. Are you volunteering up there at the moment?

Buffer68

I'm Bournemouth, used to work in Southammpton which was good for freight. Branksome's always been good for odd workings.

Hi bluebottle. Yes wish I could get up Southampton and Eastleigh more; seems to be where the main action is. Branksome is quite a good setting and with the line from there to Bmth depot, I am sure that over time I shall see some interesting trains coming in. Saw a class 66 EWS come out of the yard last week and go to Poole - came back later with a damaged MPV on way to Eastleigh.

Last edited:

chester

silly question but are theyre any good spots for overnight freight shots?im guessing that not much moves during the night?

cawky22

Tyne Dock for me, the Brockley Whinns station in Boldon, followed by Central Station in Newcastle. Also Tyne Yard,after this lot I would then visit Teeside or North of the Tyne (Blyth or Ashington area)

PS I can get into Tyne Dock any weekday to see what is loading!

I don't really have a hotspot but Gourock is my closest station. Nothing there apart from 334, 318 and the odd 314 in the evening. I often do some spotting in Glasgow Central when I'm over that way and if I have time I occasionally head out to some of the stations within the SPT area.

Unfortunately these days I am limited by a lack of money, time and motivation, so most of my trainspotting is done on an ad-hoc basis usually when I am on the way to getting somewhere. I have a lack of enthusiasm at the moment because my main camera is out of action and the one I am using is a compromise to say the least. (It can't even record sound on its video)

Hopefully by the end of this year I will be in a better position financially with a better camera and can be getting some good shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.