• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which county is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedted

It's just like Which station is this?, but instead you have to guess which county the photo was taken in.

Which county's this?

Attachments

• DVC01508.JPG
    DVC01508.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 70
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

william

Established Member
ECML Durham or Northumberland. Theres no such place as Tyne and Wear by the Way
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you say North Yorkshire i am going to kill you

tedted

ECML Durham or Northumberland. Theres no such place as Tyne and Wear by the Way
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you say North Yorkshire i am going to kill you

Correct, it was the ECML in Northumberland.

BTW, there is a county called Tyne and Wear. It's been a county since 1974.

Well done to everybody who participated.

tedted

Which county's this? (It's not Northumberland this time.)

Attachments

• DVC00434.JPG
    DVC00434.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 38

william

Established Member
BTW, there is a county called Tyne and Wear. It's been a county since 1974.

I only wish there wasnt. Been studying there since 1974 i think:roll:;)

eezypeazy

Tyne and Wear was one of the Metropolitan County Councils created in 1974, and abolished in 1986, along with others including South Yorkshire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, West Midlands and Greater Glasgow (can't remember what the Leeds/Bradford one was called). Some inherited the original Passenger Transport Executives that had started in 1970, or, if there wasn't an existing one, they got a new one. The PTEs are probably the longest-lasting legacy of the Met CCs, along with some postal addresses... otherwise, there's few remnants of them now....

Sorry to go Off Topic...

eezypeazy

PS: It's ALWAYS Tyne and Wear, never Tyne & Wear... just like its ALWAYS Newcastle upon Tyne, NEVER Newcastle Upon Tyne or Newcastle-upon-Tyne......

Ooops.. the pedant monster's taking over again.......

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It depends as to who you're speaking to. Technically Tyne and Wear still exists as a Ceremonial County, along with other former met. councils (West Midlands, Greater Manchester, etc.) and can be useful for describing an area as a continual urban conurbation.

However, there are some traditionalists amongst us who refuse to accept the existance of a county unless it is a Shire County and therefore has a county council [1]. The former county of Berkshire is my prime target ;)

[1] Some people claim that Shire Counties don't have to have county councils, but I refute that allegation :p

Junior Hornet

Hi, this is my first post in this forum. I took particular interest in the discussion regarding counties.

Just to clarify, Newcastle upon Tyne has always been in Northumberland, Sunderland has always been in Durham. The so called counties such as Tyne and Wear, Greater Manchester and Avon are/were merely administrative areas set up by Government, who confusingly used the word county. A true county has natural borders which cannot possibly be moved (at least not without a huge JCB).

On a similar note, can anyone tell me where Slough is now? It should be in Buckinghamshire but in 1974 was "moved" to Berkshire for administrative purposes. However, now that Slough is now a unitary authority, the argument of Slough being in Berkshire no longer holds water. As it is still physically within the traditional county boundaries of Buckinghamshire, it should now be referred to as Slough, Bucks again but still seems to be referred to as Slough, Berks :-? Maybe John Betjemen had the right idea - to drop friendly bombs upon it.

There is a good website which deals with this confusion (no, it's not mine - this isn't an advert :smile:) here.

eezypeazy

Welcome to the forum, Junior Hornet.

Having taken this thread well and truly off topic, I have to take you to task about Newcastle upon Tyne "always" being in Northumberland. Prior to 1974, there were large signs by the roadsides on the major routes into the City, advising people that they were entering "the City and County of Newcastle upon Tyne"......

I'm afraid that, contrary to your posting, I believe that ALL counties are merely administrative areas.

And, as a little question for anyone... can anyone tell me which bits of Northumberland were in Durham??!!!

Regards

eezypeazy

Junior Hornet

Having taken this thread well and truly off topic, I have to take you to task about Newcastle upon Tyne "always" being in Northumberland. Prior to 1974, there were large signs by the roadsides on the major routes into the City, advising people that they were entering "the City and County of Newcastle upon Tyne"......
Task duly taken to an arrived at. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.