• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which engines in the national collection would you like to see on the mainline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcan

Just a bit of fun, and ignoring the restrictive things such as money, manpower, mainline-worthyness and all that boring stuff. Which engines in the NRM would you like to see on the mainline? Pick three.

Mine would be Green Arrow, Deltic Prototype and streamlined Duchess of Hamilton

Over to you...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, not an engine, but I'd love to see the HAP unit out for a spin (or preferably see the outside from within it). Same goes for the 2 BIL.

Aictos

Established Member
Hmm, have to go with choices which aren't as obvious :lol:

Chinese Government Railways 4-8-4 KF7 class steam locomotive, No 607 running that on the Nene Valley Railway as it's Berne Gauge - hopefully will fit!!!

84001 with a rake of Blue Grey InterCity Coaches ideally hired from Cargo D :)

4 VEP to be used on many many 3rd Rail charters instead of diesel or steam!

SR 4-6-2 Battle of Britian Class No. 34051 'Winston Churchill' to run double header with another 340xx :)

Daimler

Established Member
I too will go for the streamlined Duchess, but Lode Star is rather tempting - to say nothing of Gladstone, SECR 737 and the Stirling single... :D

FlyingScot

I would like to see Mallard and Duchess of Hamilton on the mainline. Also, I would like to see the National Collection's little engines out on various heritage lines. I have a book that has the engines of the National Collection in it.The trouble is I can't find it.

LE Greys

Established Member
I would like to see Mallard and Duchess of Hamilton on the mainline.

Hear! Hear!

Also, I would like to see the National Collection's little engines out on various heritage lines. I have a book that has the engines of the National Collection in it.The trouble is I can't find it.

Out of those, the one I would most like to see is the Stanier 3-cylinder tank, perhaps working short charters on various branch lines for the benefit of tourists. Quick acceleration would be useful in staying out of the way of service trains.

Others I would especially like to see are Hardwicke and the Stirling Single (with a full-height tender as they ran with in service). Maybe not on the main lines, but on a few preserved lines. Henry Oakley and No. 251 would make a great main line pairing, as contemporaries of City of Truro.

You might notice a bit of an East Coast bias, so I'll include the Midland Spinner, the SE&CR Class D, Midland Compound 1000, Butler Henderson and Lode Star. The Edwardian era needs more representatives out there. Perhaps Iron Duke could visit Didcot as well, to work the broad gauge line alongside Firefly.

sprinterguy

Established Member
"Green Arrow" as a number one priority, "Duchess of Hamilton" and Midland Compound 1000 (possibly have the compound just operating on preserved lines).

I'd also like to see 47798 out on the main line.

4SRKT

Established Member
Green Arrow used to be out and about a lot when I was a kid. A really great loco, although I'd prefer to see it out in BR green rather than LNER livery as it was back then.

The Duchess was also out quite a bit. I remember once waiting at Keighley station for a DMU to Leeds, and the Duchess unexpectedly (to me anyway) stormed through on a northbound Cumbrian Mountain Pullman going like the clappers. What a sight!

Lode Star and Evening Star. Double Heading.:D About time King George V had another outing too.

Duchess of Hamilton? But only if they paint red and gold line all the BRmk1s that it hauls behind it.;)

LE Greys

Established Member
About time King George V had another outing too.

With KEII nearly restored, and hopefully KEI still around, there's a good opportunity to line them all up. Ideally on the 6th of January one year.

We three Kings of Occident are
Hauling trains, we travel afar . . .

mallard

Established Member
Both APTs, HST prototype 41001 (pity they only saved one), Deltic DP1, EM1 26020 (either on the shared section of the Type & Wear Metro, or under 25kv with a transformer car), E5001, GWR Railcar No. 4.

mallard

Established Member
The APT-E :D

There's no chance of APT-P making a comeback, there's not enough of it left :(

Really? As I understand it, the surviving formation is the same as was used for pantograph and other tests related to the class 91 development in the late 1980's.

According to apt-p.com, the surviving vehicles are:

DTS 48103 & 48106, TRBS 48404, TBF 48602 & 48603 & NDM 49002 & 49006.

This enables a (short) formation of DTS+TBF+NDM+TBF+TRBS+DTS (as set up at Crewe), plus a spare NDM.

I believe this picture: http://www.traintesting.com/images/with_BRBW_pan.jpg from here shows the formation in action during the aforementioned tests.

Last edited:

Vulcan

I thought the APT-E was largley complete? I cabbed it when it was at York and the volunteer showing us round said there were various discussions about to what stage it should be restored, as in static or working? Static is probably the most likely though, its a very complicated (and thirsty) machine.

I thought of some more engines that it would be nice to see working, Wren and Pet, the 18" gauge Crewe and Derby works shunters.

Domeyhead

The Q1, pulling an unfitted freight from Fareham to Gosport! And while I'm dreaming what a tragedy that a Drummond 700 Black Motor was not saved for the collection. We could have put that on the daily pickup goods on the Meon Valley line.

GearJammer

I'd also like to see 47798 out on the main line.

As far as im aware it is mainline registered, in fact it was on the mainline just recently when Tornado took Mallard to Shildon, it was hooked onto the rear of the train!

The Q1, pulling an unfitted freight from Fareham to Gosport!

Don't think thats ever gonna happen now, but if you ask First Bus nicely they may paint one of there buses black and put a 330** number on front and get it to pull a trailer for you up the new rapid bus link ;) :)

But on a serious note yes it would be great to see the Bullied Q1 back in steam, preferably up on the Mid-hants so they got he whole bullied collection of locos up there!

4SRKT

Established Member
As far as im aware it is mainline registered, in fact it was on the mainline just recently when Tornado took Mallard to Shildon, it was hooked onto the rear of the train!

A lot of people seem to be mentioning 47798 for some reason. I may be missing something or being a div or whatever, but this locomotive, gentlemen, is a duff...... ;)

mumrar

Established Member
all of them, if heritage railways can preserve their locos/units in working order why can't the national collection?
Well, two reasons. The NRM is free to get in to, and a lot of the preserved fleet are nowhere near in mainline condition, which was stipulated by the OP I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.