• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which iPhone would you recommend in 2024?

PTR 444

Established Member
I must have been living under a rock for the past few years since I am still the proud owner of an iPhone 6s, while most of the world has moved on with more modern, up-to-date models. I can remember when the 6s launched almost a decade ago and how popular it was with Millennials and Generation Z at the time (although I actually didn't get my current one until August 2020), but at some point this year, support for the model will end and I will need to replace my device. I am looking to buy another iPhone, since I'm used to the interface and would like to be able to back up my apps and files like-for-like on a new device.

Aside from the technological support, many physical features of the iPhone have also changed. From the removal of the headphone jack (I must be the only person on public transport to still use cable headphones), lightning port and home button on most models to the addition of more sophisticated cameras and USB-C, the latest model looks almost unrecognisable from even that of a decade ago, let alone the original 2007 iPhone.

I'm not looking for the latest model at all, but something which is a step up from what I currently have (more storage, better camera, longer battery life), while future proofed to last at least four years, would be ideal. Maybe something like an iPhone 12 or 2022 SE. The only bugbear is that the latter is the only model which still has Touch ID, and I'm not sure if I can get my head around Face ID just yet (although should be able to once I've had a bit of practice!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
I have a 15 and its very good, though to be honest the jump over the 13 i had before wasn't huge and that still would be a very good option and cheaper of course.

I think the SE is a bit too outdated now.

PTR 444

Established Member
I have a 15 and its very good, though to be honest the jump over the 13 i had before wasn't huge and that still would be a very good option and cheaper of course.

I think the SE is a bit too outdated now.
Yes I think a 13 would be better for me personally than a 15 on the grounds of cost. Besides, any model available today will be a huge step up from what I currently have.

MasterSpenny

I currently have an iPhone XR and, having first got in late 2021 to replace my previous 6s. I would say I can recommend it, because it is not too large that it won’t fit in some pockets, and for me it has no issues!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
… Maybe something like an iPhone 12 or 2022 SE. The only bugbear is that the latter is the only model which still has Touch ID, and I'm not sure if I can get my head around Face ID just yet (although should be able to once I've had a bit of practice!).
I wouldn’t worry about FaceID, in my experience of a few iPhones now, it sets up quickly and just works thereafter. There‘s not really anything you need to practice.

Buzby

Having jumped from an X to a 14, I looked hard at the differences in the 15, and most of the changes were cosmetic, so I didn’t bother, so you’ll save a bit on a pre-loved 14 and know Apple will be offering updates and keep you in the loop for the next few years!

Yew

Established Member
Usually I'm always keen for an upgrade, but I'm still using my Iphone 12 Mini, despite having the oppotunity to upgrade over a year ago.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Having jumped from an X to a 14, I looked hard at the differences in the 15, and most of the changes were cosmetic, so I didn’t bother, so you’ll save a bit on a pre-loved 14 and know Apple will be offering updates and keep you in the loop for the next few years!
I only took the leap to a 15 because I also have a recent iPad - so I now have a usb C only world…

I wouldn't recommend the 15 Pro. I feel the camera isn't up to standard for their latest and priciest handset. I feel the battery life (in comparison to my 13 Pro at the same age) isn't as good as it should be. I've been iPhone for years and years and this is the first handset I've been really disappointed with. Previous iPhone was a 13 Pro and before that was 11. Can't wait to get rid, when the 16 comes out and I hope thats better!
I still use my headphones with the 3.5mm jack as apple sell connection adaptors for both Lightning/USB-C to 3.5mm jack to listen to head phones, so thats no problem. If you want a phone to last say 4 years, I'd look at going for the iPhone 14. It's fairly modern and is the last generation to use lightning cables, so you won't need to replace all of your cables.

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Unless you're wedded to the Apple infrastructure, it may be worth casting your eyes over the world of Android. Very functional phones can be had for very little money.

Trackman

Established Member
I have an iPhone 11, no way would I upgrade as it does everything I want to.
As for the OP, it all depends on what you want from the phone.

DM352

Call me cheap but I get a refurbished iphone XS from an ebay power seller with a 90 day warranty. In times of inflation have turned more to refurb and make do and mend.

Had a redmi note 7 android but the kicker was security updates stopped 2 years after getting it. Still works but not supported.

My other phone is an 8 but is starting to get glitchy and IOS support may have ended now.

JamesT

Established Member
Call me cheap but I get a refurbished iphone XS from an ebay power seller with a 90 day warranty. In times of inflation have turned more to refurb and make do and mend.

Had a redmi note 7 android but the kicker was security updates stopped 2 years after getting it. Still works but not supported.

My other phone is an 8 but is starting to get glitchy and IOS support may have ended now.
I have a friend who also goes down the used iPhone route. Usually from CEX as they provide a 2 year warranty on items they sell.

Unfortunately Apple don’t have a formal support policy, so figuring out how long your device has left can be tricky. Though still miles longer than Android handsets.
The only thing you can say for definite is phones running iOS17 are supported, which is the XS/XR generation and newer, however the recent set of security fixes last week included a new iOS16 (8/X) and iOS15. (6S/SE1/7)
If you‘re considering buying around the middle of the year, the event to look out for is Apple’s WWDC in June. That’s when they announce the next version including what devices will support it.

D365

Veteran Member
I upgraded my dad from an 6S to an SE 2020 last year. He was perfectly content with the 6S, but my SE was going spare after I got an 11 for an excellent deal.

I have an iPhone 11, no way would I upgrade as it does everything I want to.
Agreed. My only reasons to upgrade from 11 would be moving up from 64GB, and upgrading to an OLED display.

Thirteen

I think personally 5 years at best for an upgrade because the lack of support after a certain period of time means your phone will not work as well as well as being at risk of cyber attacks.

johntea

Established Member
I think anything iPhone 12 onwards will fit the bill, as that was released in 2020 so probably a good 3-4 years of support left if not more, very incremtnal updates these days unless you're super into photography and video capture

My last upgrade path was iPhone X to iPhone 14 Pro Max although in honesty I could have got a couple more years out of the X! I generally stick to a 5 year upgrade cycle and even hand down some of my older models to family so whilst the initial investment is a bit painful I'm happy to pay it considering it is a tool I use so often in my daily life

As far as wired headphones go treat yourself to some AirPods and you'll probably never look back

Crossover

Established Member
I have an iPhone 11 as my work phone, which up until last year was also my daily personal driver too. When new in 2019 the battery was excellent (compared to the SE I had before) and to be honest, it’s still not bad 4 and a bit years on. That said, it will be getting towards borrowed time for updates so I would definitely be looking newer

My personal phone is a 14 Pro Max and it is also a pretty good bit of kit - with the 15 out, the 14’s will command far less money now and as others have said I don’t think there is that much between them. Battery life on the 14 Pro Max (it does have a slightly bigger battery than the other 14’s I think) is pretty good and between the two, I have hardly used my battery pack in the last few years as both could/can survive a full day out without charge

What I will concede is that my other half’s Android (high end Samsung) has a far better camera, particularly on zoom, than either of my iPhones!

Russel

As far as wired headphones go treat yourself to some AirPods and you'll probably never look back

Agreed on not looking back, I've just got some and it's surprising what a difference not having a cable makes!

Have to disagree in regards to AirPods though, I've always found Apple ear pods to be terrible, I spend more time readjusting them and putting them back in my ears when they fall out that I do actually listening to anything.

nlogax

Established Member
In my current job I've had an iPhone 7, XR and am now on a 14. All have been perfectly fine, cameras are increasingly good of course but tbh I still prefer my 300 quid midrange Galaxy paired with Pixel Buds Pro for personal use.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I was disappointed when Apple discontinued the iPhone mini. One of my key requirements of a smartphone is that it fit comfortably in a front trouser pocket, and I’ve no need for anything larger. But as I’m wedded to the Apple ecosystem, I guess I’ll need to adapt to a brickier phone.

themeone

Over the years I've gone from the Iphone 6 to the 8 and quite recently to the SE, which I find fine. I can't comment on the other models other than to say I thought the prices were ridiculous. I think you'd find the SE a nice easy upgrade.

Mzzzs

Gone from a 6s to 12mini which got stolen then the 13mini I always recommend the mini as the size makes it much more comfortable and fits in pockets. Do wish they continued with the line.
However got my battery replaced by apple because it was abysmal before.
Wont be upgrading for a long period of time.