• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which section of line is 'signed' by the fewest TOC traincrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InkyScrolls

Aside from depots/rarely used platforms/sidings etc. Or in other words, which line of route in passenger operation can be worked by the fewest number of people?

A contender must surely be Lairg to Wick/Thurso, which is signed only by Wick and link one at Inverness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Some of the Cornish branches used to be one depot only. There is also the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch.

NSE

Established Member
As an extension, I’d assume something similar with Oban/Fort William Lines. I guess anything rural and at the end of a branch/line must be a contender.

Class 170101

Established Member
As an extension, I’d assume something similar with Oban/Fort William Lines. I guess anything rural and at the end of a branch/line must be a contender.
No, Oban its Glasgow and Oban depots
and Fort William its either two or three depots sign the routes. These being Fort William, Mallaig (and Glasgow)

Adam0984

Knottingley to Goole only signed by 32 Leeds Conductors and about the same number of Leeds Drivers

InkyScrolls

I would suggest Settle Jct. to Carnforth, I believe only Skipton crews sign it.
We do, however there are about eighty drivers and a similar numbers of conductors at Skipton, all of whom sign the route.

Knottingley to Goole only signed by 32 Leeds Conductors and about the same number of Leeds Drivers
That's sounding like a solid contender. Is it only Leeds crews that sign Goole, then?
Stourbridge Town branch must be a contender.
Not sure; can anyone from WMR shed some light?

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think Stourbridge Town is only Pre Metro Operations isn't it? So nobody from West Midlands Trains.

It's probably something like that that's going to be the winner.

Heysham Port - Morecambe is probably quite similar? Gainsborough Central - Barnetby might also have been one, but is that currently lapsed? Or have there been any refershers?

InkyScrolls

I think Stourbridge Town is only Pre Metro Operations isn't it? So nobody from West Midlands Trains.

[...]

Heysham Port - Morecambe is probably quite similar? Gainsborough Central - Barnetby might also have been one, but is that currently lapsed? Or have there been any refershers?
Didn't know that about the Stourbridge Town branch - thank you.

Morecambe to Heysham is signed only by Barrow blue link (Northern); I don't have exact figures but I believe that would be roughly on par with Leeds' thirty-two for Goole.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
You could have a browse here and look through if you're interested and can take the time to work it out: Drivers & Guards.

Last edited:

Established Member
Gainsborough Central - Barnetby might also have been one, but is that currently lapsed? Or have there been any refershers?
Do you mean to say that there is a part of the passenger network which no train crew sign at all?

LowLevel

Established Member
Ulceby to Barton on Humber is only signed by around 30 or so Lincoln conductors and a small number of Freightliner drivers at the moment.

_toommm_

Established Member
Whilst the line through Chathill will be signed by hundreds of staff, I can’t imagine many are trained on the stopping service between Newcastle and Chathill.

craigybagel

Established Member
Some of the Cornish branches used to be one depot only.
Not any more. They're all signed by at least 2 of Penzance, Par and Plymouth
There is also the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch.
Signed by all drivers and guards at both Holyhead and Llandudno Junction depots. Granted neither depot is terribly large, but combined they'll be larger than some of the other suggestions here.
Ashford - Hastings?
1 link at Eastbourne I believe for drivers. Given its an hourly service I would expect it to require quite a large amount of staff
You could have a browse here and look through if you're interested and can take the time to work it out: Drivers & Guards.
Unless my browser is misbehaving both links are pointing to the guards route knowledge. The drivers thread is here .

Established Member
As you'd expect Norwich to Sheringham and Yarmouth is just Norwich crews. Ipswich to Cambridge is just Ipswich crews. Marks Tey to Sudbury is Colchester crews but Clacton guards used to have a job to help cross cover. Don't know if it's still there

gnolife

Established Member
No, Oban its Glasgow and Oban depots
and Fort William its either two or three depots sign the routes. These being Fort William, Mallaig (and Glasgow)
I didn't think Glasgow crews made it north of Fort William, or Mallaig ones south of Ardlui

craigybagel

Established Member
I didn't think Glasgow crews made it north of Fort William, or Mallaig ones south of Ardlui
According to the records I've been given and which are used on the Driver route knowledge threads, Glasgow crews don't go north of Crianlarich any more (though they do work all the way to Oban) and Fort William/Mallaig don't go south of there.

I'm open to correction however.

asdirective

Craven Arms to Llandrindod is only signed by Shrewsbury drivers, and new starters don't sign the route straight away.

Iskra

Established Member
According to the records I've been given and which are used on the Driver route knowledge threads, Glasgow crews don't go north of Crianlarich any more (though they do work all the way to Oban) and Fort William/Mallaig don't go south of there.

I'm open to correction however.
How are the sleepers crewed?

baz962

Established Member
Romford to upminster. Only Overground Stratford drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.