• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which stations should have a micropub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
With many posts extolling the virtues of micropubs, which stations would you like to see have a micropub?

To give the post some depth I have listed three differing criteria:

1. Idyllic location, but definitely not via viable!
Such as Dovey Junction, Forsinard, Hellifield, Dent, Arnside etc.

2. Busy interchange station.
Crewe, Chester, Bristol TM, Lancaster, Exeter St David’s,

3. Station close to a town centre that would attract rail and non rail customers alike?
Hull, Manchester Victoria, Liverpool Lime Street, Brighton, Windermere, Paignton, Inverness,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Revaulx

Manchester Vic certainly.

It’s an absolute tragedy that the station buffet with its magnificent domed ceiling is operated by some ghastly chain.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Manchester Vic certainly.

It’s an absolute tragedy that the station buffet with its magnificent domed ceiling is operated by some ghastly chain.

The whole catering offering in Victoria is utterly appalling. Not at all fit for the second main station in England's second or third city (depending on who you ask :) ). It really justifies a provision closer to what there is at Piccadilly.

Not only that but the railway is missing out on money - unlike on-train catering, station catering is highly profitable.

Revaulx

The whole catering offering in Victoria is utterly appalling. Not at all fit for the second main station in England's second or third city (depending on who you ask :) ). It really justifies a provision closer to what there is at Piccadilly.

Not only that but the railway is missing out on money - unlike on-train catering, station catering is highly profitable.
The little coffee shop (Java?) is nice. And there’s a Greggs :D

The Pilcrow across Corporation Street is pricey and its opening hours are hit and miss even in normal times, but I really like it; particularly if the weather permits sitting outside and admiring some extremely high quality architecture from the first 2/3 of the 20th century.

The M&S on the station is probably the most pathetic I’ve ever been in though.

Last edited:

Tomos y Tanc

At the risk of going off topic, it always amuses me that Porthmadog a town of 4,000 people has three stations two of which have pubs attached, Spooners at Porthmadog Harbour and the Railway Inn at the NR station. The third station, the WHHR one, lacks a bar but has a tea room instead. Not bad going!

I've always thought that some of the busier stations on the Valley lines could sustain a catering operation although they probably need a wider offer than a micro-pub. Those stations are generally basic and pretty grim but some of them have surprisingly large passenger numbers.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member

The pub in Piccadilly isn't up to that much though. At least the Piccaddilly Tap on the station approach exists though !

The little coffee shop (Java?) is nice. And there’s a Greggs :D

The Pilcrow across Corporation Street is pricey and its opening hours are hit and miss even in normal times, but I really like it; particularly if the weather permits sitting outside and admiring some extremely high quality architecture from the first 2/3 of the 20th century.

The M&S min the station is probably the most pathetic I’ve ever been in though.

The M&S has proved handy at times though !

Llandudno

Established Member
The pub in Piccadilly isn't up to that much though. At least the Piccaddilly Tap on the station approach exists though !
Yes, the Piccadilly Tap on station approach is handy enough, but is scruffy and not very appealing. The cask ale range is a bit limited but there are plenty of ‘craft’ keg options. Bit pricey though!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I'd say one of those is a minimum standard of provision at any major station. Always perplexed me that there isn't one at Bristol TM, there's clearly demand for it given that the nearest small supermarket is a considerable way away (as was the case at MKC before the big Morrisons went up). There are I think a few bars in the old trainshed, though, back on topic?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, the Piccadilly Tap on station approach is handy enough, but is scruffy and not very appealing. The cask ale range is a bit limited but there are plenty of ‘craft’ keg options. Bit pricey though!

I don't mind the scruffiness per se, however it would be nice if it was actually in the station - perhaps one of the areas overlooking the concourse. I expect that might make the beer even more expensive though !

I'd say one of those is a minimum standard of provision at any major station. Always perplexed me that there isn't one at Bristol TM, there's clearly demand for it given that the nearest small supermarket is a considerable way away (as was the case at MKC before the big Morrisons went up). There are I think a few bars in the old trainshed, though, back on topic?

Yes, space probably has something to do with it. Temple Meads is a beautiful station, but it doesn't have much in the way of circulating space.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't mind the scruffiness per se, however it would be nice if it was actually in the station - perhaps one of the areas overlooking the concourse. I expect that might make the beer even more expensive though !

They'd have to give it a good clean for it to be nice to sit up there. The anti pigeon netting up there is filthy. I reported it to Environmental Health once ages ago, as it looks like some of it could fall on food in a few of the establishments. Nothing seems to have been done, though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They'd have to give it a good clean for it to be nice to sit up there. The anti pigeon netting up there is filthy. I reported it to Environmental Health once ages ago, as it looks like some of it could fall on food in a few of the establishments. Nothing seems to have been done, though.

There is a sort of bar up there which did a decent bottle of beer (can't remember which beer, but it was one I like). Trouble was it was about five quid !

It was nice to be able to see the trains though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Are you old enough to remember the Coach & Horses? Sadly lost to Metrolink.

Better than nothing. The Co-Op across the street is good.

Old enough, but I don't think I ever went in.

The co-op is handy - for its cashpoint as well.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
A proper pub in London Marylebone
It's got two pubs on the concourse, The Globe can't be more than 150 yards from the Harewood Avenue exit and I can think of at least half a dozen more pubs within five minutes walk, including another one called The Globe!

Revaulx

Old enough, but I don't think I ever went in.

The co-op is handy - for its cashpoint as well.
It was a fabulous and rather rickety old building (18th century presumably) with lots of character; your feet really did stick to the carpet. The only place in Manchester you could get Taylor's Landlord.

Last edited:

satisnek

Birmingham Moor Street, definitely, because (a) it's just the kind of station which should have a real ale outlet and (b) there are no pubs in the immediate vicinity.

As for the Victoria & Albert at Marylebone, the problem is that the people who run it assume that all customers want to watch TV all the time. The same applies to the pub on Manchester Victoria station. However, in both cases there are tables on the concourse outside, where on all but the coldest of winter days it's very pleasant (if you can afford the beer).

LancasterRed

Thankfully Lancaster is getting one.

Crewe would be perfect for one and potentially Oxenholme as a stop off after a Lake District hike?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thankfully Lancaster is getting one.

Crewe would be perfect for one and potentially Oxenholme as a stop off after a Lake District hike?

Oxenholme is another station with a really poor catering offering that, at least in summer, could probably make a better one wash its face because a lot of people change there and there's literally nothing anywhere near it. All you get is the "cafexpresshop" in the little hut and one of those coffee "tuk tuk" things.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think there is a Sports Bar almost on Marylebone Railway Station and there is a Wetherspoons not too far from Bristol Temple Meads, by a canal, I have a feeling there may Wetherspoons at Lime Street and Leeds, but perhaps they are not in the criteria, I think there were, or may still be a small bar on York Railway Station, possibly where a model railway used to be (What happended to that). I think too that there was a bar on Sheffield Station and I am sure I remember one at Dingwall.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think there is a Sports Bar almost on Marylebone Railway Station and there is a Wetherspoons not too far from Bristol Temple Meads, by a canal, I have a feeling there may Wetherspoons at Lime Street and Leeds, but perhaps they are not in the criteria

Definitely not in the criteria - I can't imagine anything further from the concept of a "micropub" than the giant drinking hall that is a Spoons! :)

Jurg

Once the new station building off Warwick Road is completed at Coventry, there's plenty of room in the existing concourse and ticket offices for a pub.

Revaulx

Definitely not in the criteria - I can't imagine anything further from the concept of a "micropub" than the giant drinking hall that is a Spoons! :)
The Leeds Spoons ain’t no micro bar, but it’s hardly a giant drinking hall either. I think it makes very clever use of the difficult irregular space; outside as well as in.

Status
Not open for further replies.