• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which ticketing website allows any card when collecting from TVM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triddle

Following a less than optimal (although by no means traumatic) experience with purchasing tickets from the Avanti website (see https://railforums.co.uk/threads/use-different-card-to-pick-up-avanti-tickets.233921/), I'm wondering which ticketing website I can use which doesn't require the card used to make the purchase when picking up tickets from a TVM - or put another way, allows any card to be used when collecting tickets. Anyone know?

(There is an older thread on this, but it was inconclusive, and perhaps no longer up to date - hence this new thread.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ess

I think some sites regular tickets have different rules than when collecting season tickets so it might not be so simple as which site does what

Haywain

Veteran Member
Following a less than optimal (although by no means traumatic) experience with purchasing tickets from the Avanti website (see https://railforums.co.uk/threads/use-different-card-to-pick-up-avanti-tickets.233921/), I'm wondering which ticketing website I can use which doesn't require the card used to make the purchase when picking up tickets from a TVM - or put another way, allows any card to be used when collecting tickets. Anyone know?

(There is an older thread on this, but it was inconclusive, and perhaps no longer up to date - hence this new thread.)
Most websites will have some means of doing this. It may be by paying with PayPal or vouchers, or because they have removed the requirement completely. But as mentioned above, they may vary the setting according to the value of the transaction or the customer's purchasing record.

gc4946

I bought tickets from Northern's website using Paypal and collected TOD from one of their TVMs in Leeds using my bank card

Triddle

Trainsplit has any-card collection enabled as standard.
I realise there's often a mismatch between what they say and how it works (hence this thread), but Trainsplit's website says:
You must use the exact same card to pick up your tickets that you used to buy them. If your card has been replaced by the bank, the new card will not work, even if the details are the same.
Has anyone tried using a different card after purchasing on Trainsplit?

The LNER App allows you to pay by PayPal, which then allows you to collect tickets with any card. I cant remember if the website also allows you to pay via paypal.
Perhaps Paypal is the way forward, whichever ticketing site I buy the tickets from.

mike57

Established Member
Why bother with a TVM grab an eTicket @nd be done with it.
There was an occasion a few years ago when the any card facility would have been useful. We needed to get a rail ticket to our young nephew urgently, with out going into details for the reason for the urgency the usual routes (transfer to bank etc) were not feasible. We did manage to sort it, but being able to text him a transaction code to pick up his ticket with his (still working but massively overdrawn bank card) would have been an easy solution.

OscarH

I realise there's often a mismatch between what they say and how it works (hence this thread), but Trainsplit's website says:
Has anyone tried using a different card after purchasing on Trainsplit?
Where was it on the website you saw this, we'll try to get that updated.

The confirmation emails correctly say same card or any card (always any card now as of a month or so ago) even if the website is wrong in some places.

I've bought things since the change for other people, and they've collected it with their card, no issues

Wallsendmag

Established Member
There was an occasion a few years ago when the any card facility would have been useful. We needed to get a rail ticket to our young nephew urgently, with out going into details for the reason for the urgency the usual routes (transfer to bank etc) were not feasible. We did manage to sort it, but being able to text him a transaction code to pick up his ticket with his (still working but massively overdrawn bank card) would have been an easy solution.
I take it if he had a phone you could have emailed him an eTicket?

mike57

Established Member
I take it if he had a phone you could have emailed him an eTicket?
He had a phone but it was broken, one of the reasons he was leaving and returning to his home town to stay with his brother, we actaully emailed an e-ticket to a friend who printed out and gave it to him. His brother wasn't particularly tech savvy and asked us to help, as he also knew that I knew my way around the rail fares and ticketing maze.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The LNER App allows you to pay by PayPal, which then allows you to collect tickets with any card. I cant remember if the website also allows you to pay via paypal.

Any site accepting PayPal would be any card collection as PayPal doesn't pass the card details on to the vendor.

That's not true of all payment mechanisms, though - Google Pay explictly does pass them on for instance. I forget about Apple Pay.

Never? Don't bank on it.

Either TfL will allow it or cross London tickets will stop including the Tube. Similarly either Merseyrail will allow it or it'll withdraw from national ticketing entirely*, one or t'other. There are huge cost benefits to the railway of abandoning the magstripe.

* This would be annoying, as because Merseyrail mostly runs north-south, it's very often the case that routes to the east e.g. Manchester will have Permitted Routes both ways, and it'd be a shame to lose that.

erk

Trainsplit has any-card collection enabled as standard.

Good to know, but an extract from a confirmation email sent by trainsplit on 4 July:

If you select a departure point where ticket on departure machines are
available, Raileasy encourages you purchase your tickets on this basis. Picking
up your tickets just before you travel is very convenient. However, there are
several conditions you must abide by.

1. You must have the card in order to collect
* You must use the exact same card to pick up your tickets that you used
to buy them.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An extract fro my Trainsplit booking confirmation from 4th July says:

If you select a departure point where ticket on departure machines are available, Raileasy encourages you purchase your tickets on this basis. Picking up your tickets just before you travel is very convenient. However, there are several conditions you must abide by.

1. You must have a payment card in order to collect
    • The card does not have to be the same card as the one you used to buy your tickets online, but it should be a valid, in-date physical debit or credit card.
    • You are given a "ticket collection reference" when you buy your tickets and you need to type that into the ticket delivery machines at your departure station but you also have to insert a payment card into the machine. The machine will not deliver th

Adam Williams

Established Member
Good to know, but an extract from a confirmation email sent by trainsplit on 4 July:

The email wording correctly reflects the card requirements that are put on the booking.

Which website exactly did you book with, as I suspect this may explain the discrepancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.