• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which Train Simulator do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
ive noticed that to,like the class 377 was made by a 3rd party and doors open to,and the class 47,and 37 are ok but have you seen the class 50 on the Trainz 2006 that is a disgrace to the class 50,the graphics are awful on that,and so is the horn which sounds like an american loco!

That'd be because it's the built in one, using basic sounds. There's a better one available for download, I cant remember where from, though.
There is a lot of good stuff, it's just a matter of finding it.
If you don't like the sounds, you can also change them in the config to ones you prefer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
thanks 90019,
its just that class 50 on Trainz is a disgrace,im going to download it by i only enjoy making my own routes on the game!

i might try and re-skin the 50 to NSE livery and then reskin some MK1's in NSE livery,anyway ill give it a try.

have you seen the class 377 for Trainz? it is quite good actually.

Darandio

Established Member
Well, some of you may already know that Rail Simulator is my preference, not least because I am heavily involved in the development of two projects for it. T
That said, if I was looking at each simulator, I don't think that Trainz and especially MSTS would be capable of shots like this, at least not in the detail anyway:-

2luyrnk.jpg

9ql1cp.jpg

dxedjk.jpg

Of course, it is only a personal opinion and people have their own.

Bittern

Established Member
I had Trainz 2006 once. Could never get the hang of route building. Same with MSTS.

Question about Rail Simulator: Can you "Train Spot" with it? (like, just wait at a station or stretch of line and watch the trains running by)

Darandio

Established Member
Yeah, just create an AI scenario and pick your spot and watch. I have done one on my Newcastle to York Modernisation project to reflect the real timetable.

Established Member
i might try and re-skin the 50 to NSE livery and then reskin some MK1's in NSE livery,anyway ill give it a try.

have you seen the class 377 for Trainz? it is quite good actually.

I think there are some NSE mk1s around somewhere, there are definately some in TC3 (which I'm thinking about getting just for some of the locos and the mk1s)
Also, I'm sure someone did a 50 in NSE livery, and I'm sure there's at least one person reskinning the newer 47 model into NSE.

I've seen the 377, and would get it, but I dont think it's worth paying almost £10 for the Electrostar set.
Same for the Tubostars that are also from Railwaves, I'd rather wait for Peter Hicks' 170 that is not only freeware, but a much better model.
I think Railwaves stuff in general is overpriced for what it is, especially with equally good, if not better, freeware versions of some of their models now available or in the making.

Buffer68

I am new to railway sims. I have always had Apple computers and had a dislike for Microsoft based computers. However I now have an Intel Mac and it is running XP via Bootcamp and I now have copies of Railroad Tycoon 3 and also Trainz 2006. Started on Trainz last night - looks really good, glad to see some steam engines too.

Bittern

Established Member
I downloaded this SimSig thing. I really don't know what I'm doing. o_o I'd make a baaaaad signalman.

Reddog785

MSTS
BVE 4
BVE 2
OpenBVE
KRS (dont work :*( )
TTD (used to run it on mah Win 95 till I got 2000 I now have XP)
OpenTTD (so I can have TTD on Windows XP)

Reddog785

Microsoft Train Simulator
Subway Simulator Vol.2 U7- Belin

Railsim ( I think nobody has this here )
http://www.biwako.ne.jp/~hiroharu/e_index.html

Some PS2 games dunno if they have english names...
Although they are old, but they are quite fun!

DengoFinal.jpg

1173267517.jpg

2cdiu69.jpg

hh.jpg

asinB0000E5SDS_L.jpg

Looks like Densha De Go to me. That's the only train sim available to something other than PC. :|
Anyways, there is a new PS3 sim in the making called Railfan, which is only available by shipment from Japan. :-x Me want it from UK!!!

I use BVE4 but some of the routes I enjoy the most are BVE 2 ones, despite the limitation of BVE 2 materials they deliver wayyy better framerates.

Established Member
That said, if I was looking at each simulator, I don't think that Trainz and especially MSTS would be capable of shots like this, at least not in the detail anyway:-

dxedjk.jpg

Trainz is starting to get there now:

66finished1.jpg

(Rumour3's new 66, to be released very soon :D)

There's been a big improvement with some of the new tracks available, and now people are using Blender, we're likely to be seeing more trains of this quality in Trainz :D

Established Member
Hellfire!! as we speak im behind 55022 :D

and now im arrested :)

Last edited:

scottm

MSTS all the way for me, i have had a look at the more recent ones but i dont like the fact that so much of the add-ons is payware. At least with MSTS there is a huge library at UKTS with almost everything you could imagine!

My fave routes are Scottish Capital Express, Highland Mainline and Scottish Central. Glasgow - Carlisle V3 is in development and looks stunning.

For an old sim it can still produce some great results.

You really can't beat BVE for the price of free. You need a bit of computer savvy to run it though, and to avoid tearing your hair out when things go a bit wrong for no apparent reason, as they often do.

MCR247

Established Member
I'm not computer savvy, nothings ever gone wrong for me and it runs like a dream

I regularly used to get 'the train is not found' errors even when I had installed the train in the correct directory. Sometimes I had to rename directories or install the train/route twice. Some of my routes still don't work and I just can't be bothered fixing them.

Does MCR stand for My Chemical Romance or am I way off?

MCR247

Established Member
Way off ;) I cant stand My Chemical romance, and I hadnt thought of that when I chose my username :oops:

43021HST

Established Member
Trainz is starting to get there now:

66finished1.jpg

(Rumour3's new 66, to be released very soon :D)

There's been a big improvement with some of the new tracks available, and now people are using Blender, we're likely to be seeing more trains of this quality in Trainz :D

Yes it is possible with Trainz but the framerates would be extremely slow.

Bittern

Established Member
I don't have the newest Trainz (or really want it), but that 66 is ****ing sexy.

Established Member
I don't have the newest Trainz (or really want it), but that 66 is ****ing sexy.

If you have anything above TRS04, you can use it, it's on the DLS, search the username "Rumour3".

Assets in Trainz can be used if the version it's for is the one you have or a previous one (TC3 assets are slightly different), although in most cases where, for example, it's for 06 and you have 04, it's often just a case of altering a part of the config (I forget which part) to get it to work, although sometimes it can require a little more work.

Bittern

Established Member
I can't use it because the disk is scratched, and I really have no intention of buying it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.