• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who would you vote for if there was a general election today?

Who would you vote for if there was a general election in the next 24-48 hours?

• Abstain

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Spoil my ballot

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Conservatives (includes the Speaker)

Votes: 35 19.9%
  • Scottish Conservatives

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Labour

Votes: 42 23.9%
  • Scottish Labour

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • SNP

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 52 29.5%
  • Scottish Liberal Democrats

• Green

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Scottish Green

• UKIP

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Monster Raving Loony Party

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • BNP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An independent candidate

• DUP

• Sinn Féin

• SDLP

• UUP

• Alliance

• Northern Irish Green

• Traditional Unionist Voice

• People Before Profit Alliance

• Other (if there IS anyone else...)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sardonic witty poll option for those who won't take this seriously (there's no shame in it)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Remember: if you're not eligible to vote (e.g. not old enough yet, not got citizenship), that still doesn't matter. This is a theoretical poll. Usernames NOT published.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
I'll have to think a bit about this, but a few questions.

1) Why have the Scottish branches of parties been listed separately? Makes sense for the Greens, but not really the others? Also, why are the Welsh parties not listed separately?
2) Do you want me to vote for the candidate that I would vote for in an ideal world, or should I take tactical voting into consideration?
3) If you want me to vote in an ideal world, should I only vote for candidates that are likely to stand in my constituency?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Given our electoral system, it will be a choice of whoever happens to be on the ballot paper when I turn up. Where I live, that's usually fairly limited.

Still, on the bright side, at least my MP isn't the speaker !

backontrack

Established Member
1) Why have the Scottish branches of parties been listed separately? Makes sense for the Greens, but not really the others? Also, why are the Welsh parties not listed separately?

I chose separating out Scottish parties because someone was bound to suggest that, really. And it's a very different environment politically compared to the other regions of the UK.

backontrack

Established Member
2) Do you want me to vote for the candidate that I would vote for in an ideal world, or should I take tactical voting into consideration?
Whatever you think you would honestly do.

3) If you want me to vote in an ideal world, should I only vote for candidates that are likely to stand in my constituency?
Yes. So no Plaid Cymru if in Scotland, for example, no SNP or DUP in England or Wales, etc..

cf111

Established Member
Liberal Democrat as they are most likely to beat the SNP in my constituency.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see no poll because I'm using an app which doesn't offer polls. Still I'd vote Lib Dem. What swung it for me was the Southern rail dispute.

phoenixcronin

I'm gonna vote LibDem. I don't like the hard-right turn that the Tories have taken and I'm not a fan of Jeremy Corbyn's terrorist-sympathising anti-Semitic Labour Party

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Thanks for answering my questions BackOnTrack. I think I'd vote Plaid at the moment then, but would need to look at the candidates and manifestos in the real world (particularly from the Lib Dems). However, as I said on the other thread, in reality I suspect I'll end up voting Labour because I'm one of the few constituencies where they have a real chance of gaining a seat from the Tories.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm gonna vote LibDem. I don't like the hard-right Brexit Tory Party and I think the anti-Semitic terrorist-sympathising Labour Party led by Comrade Corbyn is a danger to the country.

I bet many people who plan to vote Liberal Democrat now will get cold feet and change their mind at the last moment.

Personally, regardless of Brexit, I think the last thing this country needs is another artificial Liberal Democrat bounce. The last one came crashing down once the populist issue (Iraq war) lost salience and the generation of teenagers and 20 somethings grew up.

Steveman

Looking at the poll shows that this forum is totally out of step with normal people as according to the poll the liberals are going to smash it.
The liberals are the most anti-democratic party around - the reversal on tuition fees being a good example. Farron is more puffed up than Sturgeon he actually thinks he''s important and interesting.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Looking at the poll shows that this forum is totally out of step with normal people as according to the poll the liberals are going to smash it.
The liberals are the most anti-democratic party around - the reversal on tuition fees being a good example. Farron is more puffed up than Sturgeon he actually thinks he''s important and interesting.

Don't worry about it - at the last General Election if the forum poll had been representative of the Electorate as a whole it would have been a Labour Landslide ...we all know the only slding they did was down and off the precipice in Scotland :p

Steveman

Don't worry about it - at the last General Election if the forum poll had been representative of the Electorate as a whole it would have been a Labour Landslide ...we all know the only slding they did was down and off the precipice in Scotland :p

Why is this forum always wrong about elections ? why does it have such a high proportion of posters who consistently predict the opposite to what actually happens.

DaleCooper

Established Member

In the referendum it was about 2 to 1 for remain.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Why is this forum always wrong about elections ? why does it have such a high proportion of posters who consistently predict the opposite to what actually happens.

This thread is about how individuals would vote, not how we predict the vote will turn out.

If this thread was like the average person there would be no votes at all in the poll, because by proportion, most people don't vote.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh well this is very embarrassing. I think I just spoiled my vote.
Can I have another go? I don't mind paying for someone else's.
Shall we say an old five pound note in a brown envelope left around the back of a skip?

Polarbear

Established Member
If I thought it would make a difference in the area I live in, I'd vote for the Lib Dems. The Conservatives are steadily going to the right whilst Labour have moved to the left.

In reality, I expect my current MP to be voted out, (Chris Matheson - Labour) as his majority at the last election was only 93 votes. It's a shame, because he does seem to have done a good job during his time.

For me, there are many, many other issues at stake other than Brexit, but I fear that this will become the pre-dominant discussion point during the campaign.

me123

Established Member

You're being very presumptuous here. The poll has been open for two-and-a-half hours, so we haven't actually seen a fair sample from the forum yet. Anomalies like this can balance out. It is already well established that this forum is not representative of the country as a whole, but it's ridiculous to say that its membership is "out of step with normal people" - it's simply the case that this is a selective subsection of society that is generally more left leaning and generally younger than the electorate as a whole.

It'll be interesting to run the results through a calculator such as Electoral Calculus to get an impression of what the result would be if our little poll was representative (which it obviously isn't). At the current standing, it predicts:

Lib Dems 294
Conservative 160
Labour 139
UKIP 1
SNP 33
Plaid 4
Green 1

BUT: This is based on low powered data, particularly with only six voters selecting Scottish parties thus far. It's just an estimate, and quite good fun to see how our parliament would be constructed in real numbers rather than just looking at raw percentages.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
For the record I was the one who put "Spoil my ballot paper". I understand that this is actually recorded as opposed to just not turning up and it is something I have done before. In the constituency I leave in in South Liverpool chances are Labour will get i anyway but I refuse to vote for them anymore. They don't represent me any more than the Tories. Once I have had a look at the various manifestos I may choose Lib Dem or Green but I can't remember the last time we had any other choice here.

backontrack

Established Member
Tarquin Fintimlinbinwhinbimlim Bus Stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuit-Barrel (Silly Party)

I see your Tarquin Fintimlinbinwhinbimlim Bus Stop F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuit-Barrel and raise you an Ivor 'Jest-ye-not-madam' Biggun.

Steveman

You're being very presumptuous here. The poll has been open for two-and-a-half hours, so we haven't actually seen a fair sample from the forum yet. Anomalies like this can balance out. It is already well established that this forum is not representative of the country as a whole, but it's ridiculous to say that its membership is "out of step with normal people" - it's simply the case that this is a selective subsection of society that is generally more left leaning and generally younger than the electorate as a whole.

It'll be interesting to run the results through a calculator such as Electoral Calculus to get an impression of what the result would be if our little poll was representative (which it obviously isn't). At the current standing, it predicts:

Lib Dems 294
Conservative 160
Labour 139
UKIP 1
SNP 33
Plaid 4
Green 1

BUT: This is based on low powered data, particularly with only six voters selecting Scottish parties thus far.

I think you'll find it won't change much by the time the election comes round this forum will still be voting liberal that's if you can vote on facebook of course.
Why are train spotters lefties ? what makes them turn to the extreme of politics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.