• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are EMUs under-represented in model form

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Another point is that I find units are operationally boring, no runarounds or loco transfers.
I can certainly agree with that, given that my layout is based around small steam locos with maximum potential for shunting activities.

I do have an inkling of an aspiration to have a big, modern image exhibition style layout at some point in the distant future though alongside my main layout that would give me the opportunity to run modern units and locos. I doubt that I'll ever have the time, space or money to do so though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
A feel sorry for modern image modellers - must cost a tonne if you really want to keep a layout up to date with all of the re-painting between franchises and with the surge of new multiple units etc. in the last decade that have not yet appeared as models, there must be a lot of areas that would be quite hard to model realistically.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Aside from the GWML up to Airport Junction (although I believe the 180s are due back soon), there is nothing within 50 miles of London that is possible to accurately model with RTR models in modern image. You can't accurately model the North Wales coast, anything over the Pennines, South Manchester, Birmingham's electrified lines, most of Yorkshire, any part of the Merseyrail network and any of the electrified lines in Scotland and in the south east.

Aside from the GWML up to Airport Junction (although I believe the 180s are due back soon), there is nothing within 50 miles of London that is possible to accurately model with RTR models in modern image. You can't accurately model the North Wales coast, anything over the Pennines, South Manchester, Birmingham's electrified lines, most of Yorkshire, any part of the Merseyrail network and any of the electrified lines in Scotland and in the south east.

I believe you could do a nice layout of Hoo Junction with ready to run stuff, as long as you were happy with the 466 instead of a 465. Other passenger trains are of course 395s.

Freight wise you have 59s, 66s and 73s plus MPV's, all available RTR.

tbtc

Veteran Member

That's a really interesting point which I'd not considered

43021HST

Established Member
I will admit I'd like to see a ready to run class 455, with that body shell a company could really extend its range to cover class 317s, class 318s and a class 210, which I would really like.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I will admit I'd like to see a ready to run class 455, with that body shell a company could really extend its range to cover class 317s, class 318s and a class 210, which I would really like.

That would require many different body moulds, especially to cover all the sub-classes.

317 - 317/1 DTS/ATC/PMS, 317/2 DTS/ATS/PMS, 317/7 DTS (use 317/1 for PMS/ATC)
318 - See 317/2 for DTS and PMS vehicles
455 - 455/7 DTS/MS (use 317/2 for ATS), 455/8 ATS (use 317/2 for DTS and 455/7 for MS), 455/9 ATS (use 455/7 for MS and 317/2 for DTS)
210 - 210 DMS/TS (use 317/1 for the TC (ATS) and the DTS)

That's 13 body shell variations for 8 unit subclasses! (not accounting for the refurbished 318s and 455s), I don't know the differences under the sole bar, but I suspect there are a few!

Last edited:

bangor-toad

Hi there,
I'm going for a different approach. I've got myself a class 150, a bucket of moulding silicone and a big bottle of resin.

I'm going to take mouldings of the sides of the 150 and then make casts. These will be altered with milliput plus various drills and files to alter the position of the windows.

I've been fortunate enough to aquire cab fronts (from NN Kits a couple of years ago) for 455's, 319's and 317's.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to make myself a fleet of the Mk3 based EMUs. Oh, and yes, I'm going to try my luck at building a Class 210 using this technique. Most of the unit can be built from the class 150 derived shell but the engine area will be more scratchbuilt.

Not an instant project but one with a bit of a longer timescale until it's completed...
Cheers,
Jason

43021HST

Established Member
Hi there,
I'm going for a different approach. I've got myself a class 150, a bucket of moulding silicone and a big bottle of resin.

I'm going to take mouldings of the sides of the 150 and then make casts. These will be altered with milliput plus various drills and files to alter the position of the windows.

I've been fortunate enough to aquire cab fronts (from NN Kits a couple of years ago) for 455's, 319's and 317's.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to make myself a fleet of the Mk3 based EMUs. Oh, and yes, I'm going to try my luck at building a Class 210 using this technique. Most of the unit can be built from the class 150 derived shell but the engine area will be more scratchbuilt.

Not an instant project but one with a bit of a longer timescale until it's completed...
Cheers,
Jason

Sounds look a great project, I saw a 455 kit online, and I wondered how difficult it would be to turn that into a class 210, then I saw the price, over £100, the kit wasnt even top class.

Another reason why EMUs arnt popular is that I find cantenary is very fiddly to put up, and and can make it difficult for the big hand from the sky to get to the layout. Also if you run an electric train without the overhead wires, it never looks right, thats why Ive mainly stuck to diesels.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Bratchell Models 455? That is based on the 455/9 so would need quite a bit of work to become a 210, but it does go together quite well.

tsr

Established Member
Sounds look a great project, I saw a 455 kit online, and I wondered how difficult it would be to turn that into a class 210, then I saw the price, over £100, the kit wasnt even top class.

Another reason why EMUs arnt popular is that I find cantenary is very fiddly to put up, and and can make it difficult for the big hand from the sky to get to the layout. Also if you run an electric train without the overhead wires, it never looks right, thats why Ive mainly stuck to diesels.

What about trains where the juice comes from the 3rd rail? A good number of 377s do not run on OHLE lines, for example, but are in 3rd rail land.

dubscottie

Anyone want to Model Manchester Piccadilly? Or why not all of Central Manchester? hehe

Nice mix of traction if you could...

Have a look at my earlier post.. Thinking the same myself with the class 305! Essex to Edinburgh and all places in between. More likely to sell than a 377 or so. 10 livery variations and more if you have it as a 304 or 308.

Keep forgetting though that the 80's/90's is no longer "modern image" for most.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
What about trains where the juice comes from the 3rd rail? A good number of 377s do not run on OHLE lines, for example, but are in 3rd rail land.

Still quite a fiddly task to make good looking 3rd rail, particularly around switches and stations.

Ian F

I am currenlty building a 325 from a Bratchell 319 in EM gauge, not the cheapests of projects to complete but one Im happy to do, if anyone has any images please pass em over, I only found this site from doing a search and came across some very useful pics for me of 325010 leaving Wembley on a low loader...great great pics!

Ian

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The underframe of the 319 model is a little lacking (being parts for the 317/321 that you have to hack about), but essentially the 325 is the same as the 319. the driving vehicles don't need the heater contacter cases, but you need to keep the air tanks and smaller Westinghouse brake valve case. the Two intermediate cars, as far as I am aware are broadly indentical, the main difference would be the lack of a toilet effluence tank (which the kit doesn't have anyway) and probably one of the contacter cases (for heating).

If you can pause this video (not mine) in the right places, you might get a good idea of what is there (the front unit is the opposite way round to the other two so you can see both sides).

Status
Not open for further replies.