Why do Victoria line trains not have air conditioning?

Discussion in 'London Underground' started by 387star, 4 Apr 2019.

1. bramling

bramling Established Member

Yes. Mechanised tunnel boring machines as opposed to hand-worked shields, and different types of lining - pre cast concrete and unbolted cast iron. All this was effectively new to LT, although concrete lining had been used before.

The big benefit of tunnel boring machines is that they are quicker and don’t require grouting round the finished tunnel, but they are costly and take time to set up, so there is much value in getting things right. Naturally they are only viable when they can drive on for long distances, the Victoria Line being ideal for that.

2. sprunt

sprunt Member

Thanks.

3. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

First general use of precast concrete segments I think. The tunnelling “shields” themselves were pretty standard, but I think the full rotating cutter head was a new thing.

4. holborncentral

holborncentral Member

So true :E the Brexit negotiations are a good example of that. I still haven't forgotten THAT tweet from last summer about the Central line not getting new trains til 2030

5. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

A 'drum digger' rotary shield was used, powered by hydraulic rams, according to Wikipedia. I've a copy somewhere of 'Building London's Underground' which would probably provide more info, so I could look it out if you express interest.