• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why does this current U.K. Government hate rail so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It might be because in several posts you've explicitly accused the government of considering the railway a rich man's toy and claimed that they refuse to subsidise routes not used by the wealthy.

The Government does claim that the railway is a rich man's toy (Philip Hammond did explicitly) and they use it as an excuse not provide adequate funding.

It is why they've not sorted out TPE, why they've not sorted out the strikes, why they're capping bus fares but not rail, why they're not restoring services etc...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Government does claim that the railway is a rich man's toy (Philip Hammond did explicitly) and they use it as an excuse not provide adequate funding.
Spreadsheet Phil's not been in office since May was ignominiously removed in 2019.

Established Member
The cause of the railways.
Nor has management. Nor has the government. Nor has the treasury. Nor has the DfT

I think you misunderstand what a trade union is, and what it is supposed to do. They are there to represent the interests of their members, not the “cause of the railways” as a whole (which could mean almost anything, depending on one’s perspective).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Spreadsheet Phil's not been in office since May was ignominiously removed in 2019.

I suspect it's still the mentality though. The exception being Boris' reopenings, but I expect such a policy wouldn't have a cat in Hell's chance under anti-rail Sunak.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I think you misunderstand what a trade union is, and what it is supposed to do. They are there to represent the interests of their members, not the “cause of the railways” as a whole (which could mean almost anything, depending on one’s perspective).
SOGAT and NGA represented the interests of their members. It did not do much good for the industry and thus their members long term

The title of the thread is Why does the government hate railways so much? So lets use your line of reasoning. The governments job is to run the country - not love the railways.

I am trying to point out that if the unions were not constantly disruptive (or it appears that way for a very long time) - it will do them and the railways better in the long run.

Lets pose a scenario. You really really really want to decarbonise and deep down you know that modal shift away from planes and cars and lorries to RAILWAYS (especially) will easily achieve that goal so you invest like crazy in the railways and electrify everything and modal shift - you have now given the unions massive power as they can bring everything to a standstill. If you are a Conservative government - why would you do that?

What I am trying to say in a simple sentence is -imho the unions over the decades have not done themselves or the railways any favours.

The thread title could even be "Why do the unions hate the railways so much?"

A0wen

On Moderation
I already told you that your question was wrong to start off with.

It wasn't actually my question........

How do you target the rail subsidy at lower income households who mainly use the bus?

It might be because in several posts you've explicitly accused the government of considering the railway a rich man's toy and claimed that they refuse to subsidise routes not used by the wealthy.

< Where's the like button when you need it? >

It is why they've not sorted out TPE, why they've not sorted out the strikes, why they're capping bus fares but not rail, why they're not restoring services etc...

Bit in bold - because as has been explained to you *several times* on this thread alone, the capping of bus fares will *disproportionately* help those on low incomes by mitigating *some* of the effects of inflation which is putting them under financial pressure at the moment.

A similar measure on the railways would cost far more and achieve much, much less.

But you know that - and this is more to do with the fact somebody else is getting their travel subsidised whereas your gallivanting's aren't being subsidised to your satisfaction.

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Context, please!

This was from way back in 2011 at a Commons Committee hearing when asked about possible future fares on HS2.

As the BBC reported:

Mr Hammond replied: "Uncomfortable fact number one is that the railway is already relatively a rich man's toy - the whole railway.
"People who use the railway on average have significantly higher incomes than the population as a whole - simple fact."

I find it slightly ironic that a Transport Secretary discussing investing tens of billions of pounds in a future rail scheme is somehow interpreted as presenting "an excuse [for] not providing adequate funding".

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It wasn't actually my question........

Oh, we're back here again.

I would say why target rail subsidy at lower income households "who mainly use the bus". Many of those lower income households may use the bus because it suits their needs.

Better to provide some support to those bus services so that bus users have that benefit, then lower train fares so that lower income households can access the train when it suits their needs.

Context, please!

This was from way back in 2011 at a Commons Committee hearing when asked about possible future fares on HS2.

As the BBC reported:

Mr Hammond replied: "Uncomfortable fact number one is that the railway is already relatively a rich man's toy - the whole railway.
"People who use the railway on average have significantly higher incomes than the population as a whole - simple fact."

I find it slightly ironic that a Transport Secretary discussing investing tens of billions of pound in a future rail scheme is somehow interpreted as presenting "an excuse [for] not providing adequate funding".

The comment is clearly about the railway as Mr Hammond perceived it at the time.

How else could Mr Hammond claim to know so much about the usage of a railway that still hasn't been completed 13 years later, without drawing on his assumptions about the railway as it existed then !?

A0wen

On Moderation
Context, please!

As the BBC reported:

I find it slightly ironic that a Transport Secretary discussing investing tens of billions of pound in a future rail scheme is somehow interpreted as presenting "an excuse [for] not providing adequate funding".

And the best of it is, if that was in 2011, it was no more than a year after the coalition government had taken office.

What had Labour done about it in the preceding 13 years ?....... answers on a postcard.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And the best of it is, if that was in 2011, it was no more than a year after the coalition government had taken office.

What had Labour done about it in the preceding 13 years ?....... answers on a postcard.

New Labour weren't particularly inspiring, however I didn't have to run the gauntlet of long term industrial action, failing franchises etc that I mentioned in an earlier post.

A0wen

On Moderation
New Labour weren't particularly inspiring, however I didn't have to run the gauntlet of long term industrial action, failing franchises etc that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Apart from forcing out GNER to replace them with National Express East Coast, messing up the Midland Mainline franchise by folding bits of Central Trains into it, problems - including long running industrial action - on Northern Spirit, the creating of the unmanageable, oversized Northern franchise and a few others besides.

Need to put those rose tinted glasses away.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Apart from forcing out GNER to replace them with National Express East Coast, messing up the Midland Mainline franchise by folding bits of Central Trains into it, problems - including long running industrial action - on Northern Spirit, the creating of the unmanageable, oversized Northern franchise and a few others besides.

Need to put those rose tinted glasses away.

I've never been accused of donning "rose tinted spectacles" for the mid-privatisation era. I'm usually seen as being a pro BR man :lol:

Nevertheless, I'm well aware of the shortcomings of New Labour for the railways at the time - the no growth franchise was a particular bugbear.

Nevertheless, I re-iterate, I, in my experience of using the trains since the 1980's, I have never known the railway service to be as shambolic and unreliable as it has been in the last year and a bit.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
New Labour also tried to sell the Tube, which predictably ended in disaster.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On the other hand, if current Labour came out in favour of something like the Austrian climate ticket, or the German 59 Euro ticket, they could have some clear red water between the Tories.

And because it will have already bedded in, in other countries, the "scary" Corbynesque aspect will have been neutralised

HSTEd

Veteran Member
On the other hand, if current Labour came out in favour of something like the Austrian climate ticket, or the German 59 Euro ticket, they could have some clear red water between the Tories.
That would cut the farebox by some enormous amount. You'd probably sell a load of them but to get close to replacing the pre corona (£10bn a year) farebox something like 16% of the population would have to buy them at the Austrian price.
Plus it would rip the heart out of hte bus farebox

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That would cut the farebox by some enormous amount. You'd probably sell a load of them but to get close to replacing the pre corona (£10bn a year) farebox something like 16% of the population would have to buy them at the Austrian price.
Plus it would rip the heart out of hte bus farebox

Well, these other countries manage it. We will doubtless see how the sky hasn't fallen in.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

A0wen

On Moderation
And whose fault is it that this countries railways are so expensive to run ?

Tory privatisation. It's a Tory problem, the Tories should solve it.

They are - just not in a way you approve of.

Established Member
SOGAT and NGA represented the interests of their members. It did not do much good for the industry and thus their members long term

At least printers make a change from miners, and are a (slightly) less hackneyed example. How is that relevant, though? No union can prevent jobs ultimately being replaced by technology (albeit they will of course strive to manage job losses/redundancies). The railway is no different: you’ll notice there have been many changes on the railways over the last few decades, all of which have been agreed to by the unions. The key is how that process of negotiation is undertaken - it doesn’t have to be combative.

The title of the thread is Why does the government hate railways so much? So lets use your line of reasoning. The governments job is to run the country - not love the railways.

But running the country doesn’t have to involve provoking an entirely unnecessary industrial dispute, and bankrolling it with public money. That is a conscious political choice.

Perhaps put aside your obvious dislike of trade unions (all too common in the UK sadly) and ask yourself why a stale and unpopular government might want to provoke a headline grabbing dispute and demonise unions. There are some fairly obvious reasons that have little to do with running the country, and more to do with self preservation.

Let’s pose a scenario. You really really really want to decarbonise and deep down you know that modal shift away from planes and cars and lorries to RAILWAYS (especially) will easily achieve that goal so you invest like crazy in the railways and electrify everything and modal shift - you have now given the unions massive power as they can bring everything to a standstill. If you are a Conservative government - why would you do that?

Only if you view unions as being intrinsically bad and adopt a combative approach. There have been plenty of sensible, moderate Conservative governments that have managed not to provoke disputes like the one we are currently seeing.

I am trying to point out that if the unions were not constantly disruptive (or it appears that way for a very long time) - it will do them and the railways better in the long run.

An interesting choice of words. So by trying to protect their members the impudent unions are being “constantly disruptive”. How jolly dare they! We should all doff our caps, tug our forelocks and stop getting in the way.

The thread title could even be "Why do the unions hate the railways so much?"

I don’t particularly agree with the (simplistic) current thread title, albeit this would be even more nonsensical. Unless you’re suggesting that any group which - another reminder - acts in the interests of its members - must therefore hate the railways?

Do passenger groups also hate the railways? Do TOC senior management? All stakeholders in any industry will act in their own interests to a greater or lesser extent, so you’re really saying the railway hates itself!

Perhaps because their railways are cheaper to run ?

Start by looking at average driver's salaries for example:

Oh dear. It’s funny how drivers’ salaries are never far from any conversation in this forum.

Other jobs pay less/more in other countries too, and comparisons are difficult (as you seem quick to argue whenever subsidies are mentioned). Average driver pay is more in Australia and the USA, for example.

They are - just not in a way you approve of.

They aren’t, actually. They’re spending tax payers’ money waging an ideological war. So far, by their own admission, the dispute has cost more than settling it would have done. As a taxpayer I find that grossly offensive and they’ve lost my vote.

Of course, along with the rest of the culture wars, the combative approach is designed to appeal to base instincts of bitter types, who are green with envy about what train drivers earn, who are triggered by the spectacle of workers standing up for themselves in a way they themselves cannot, and perhaps secretly envy.

Indeed, in an incredibly damaging way to the country.

Thankfully we will be rid of them soon.

Or at least on the way to a hung parliament.

Either way it’s hard to see another Tory majority. They really do badly need some time in opposition to get rid of the dead wood/nutcases.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Either way it’s hard to see another Tory majority. They really do badly need some time in opposition to get rid of the dead wood/nutcases.
I'm personally hoping the nutcases take over for 5 years so Labour have a chance to make some real changes before the Tories get their acts together again.

Falcon1200

Established Member

Regarding your last point; Scotrail has not restored, and shows no sign whatsoever of intending to restore, many services withdrawn thanks to Covid; On the Ayrshire electric routes, for example, the off-peak service now is 66% of that pre-Covid, ie 4 trains per hour vice 6. Does that indicate that the current Scottish Government hates the railways too, or might there be other factors, both here and south of the Border?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Regarding your last point; Scotrail has not restored, and shows no sign whatsoever of intending to restore, many services withdrawn thanks to Covid; On the Ayrshire electric routes, for example, the off-peak service now is 66% of that pre-Covid, ie 4 trains per hour vice 6. Does that indicate that the current Scottish Government hates the railways too, or might there be other factors, both here and south of the Border?

Tartan Tories. What do you expect ?

Established Member

Difficult to say without local knowledge. The consensus seems to be that the cuts south of the border have been somewhat cack handed, and have certainly made the railway less usable in some key places.

or their supporters

I didn’t think they had any left after St. Nicola was revealed to have enough legal skeletons to make a certain Donald J. Trump look as pure as the driven snow… ;)

Falcon1200

Established Member
The consensus seems to be that the cuts south of the border have been somewhat cack handed, and have certainly made the railway less usable in some key places.

They have similar effects here; For example, on my local Neilston-Glasgow line, the Mon-Fri morning peak had trains at 0824, 0841 and 0905. The 0841 has gone, seemingly never to return, and the 0905 is booked 3 cars, so unless I have absolutely no choice I avoid that (horribly overcrowded) train like the plague. And nearby, on the Glasgow/Barrhead/Kilmarnock route, there used to be, each hour, two Barrhead all stations locals and two fast Kilmarnocks. Now one of the Kilmarnock trains doubles as the stopper, lengthening journey times and destroying the regular interval pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.