• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why I prefer to use a ticket office and obtain a physical ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runningaround

It might be for you but not for me (at Sheffield at least)

I can go to the TVM, enter my destination, select the required ticket, pay by contactless and the ticket prints.

To buy the same ticket on line, I first have to log into a retail site which I have earlier registered for (or if I haven't, I have to enter details such as name/address/email). Then I need to enter both my starting and destination stations. After selecting the required ticket I then have to add card details and, in many cases, further 'security' info specified by the bank before finally getting a ticket sent by email which may not always arrive immediately.

At Sheffield the queues for TVMs have certainly pretty much disappeared (which suits me fine) but they are still used by a decent number, but at London Bridge the other week the queues were such that if I had joined them I would have missed the train so had to follow the procedure above to book on line which was even more time consuming on a small phone screen than on my PC.
Why don't you download the apps of your most common TOCs and ticket websites? You can ''save'' your card or use biometric security on your phone, then all you do is select the journey and pay and tickets ready in five seconds and you can do all this before you reach your station, the day, week or months before, you may even get the luxury of selecting your seat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashkeba

Established Member
Why don't you download the apps of your most common TOCs and ticket websites? You can ''save'' your card or use biometric security on your phone, then all you do is select the journey and pay and tickets ready in five seconds and you can do all this before you reach your station, the day, week or months before, you may even get the luxury of selecting your seat.
Incompatible phone, lack of storage space and not trusting the app not to hog data or battery or be snoopy are often -given reasons. Why doesn't some retailer make an easier website?

MikeWM

Established Member
I was speaking to a lady in the ticket office queue (*note* the word queue there, as indeed there is most mornings...) at Ely earlier. She told me she preferred to use the ticket office because she's had experience of being scammed online before when trying to pay something or other. She also wasn't confident paying for a ticket online because she wasn't sure she'd get what she needed, and was concerned (with justification I'd say) that once on the train, if she'd bought the wrong thing she may get into trouble.

What would she do without a ticket office? Find another way to travel, most likely. Or take her chances buying online and then being nervous for her whole journey as to whether she'd done it correctly. It seems to me the railway should be trying to welcome such people, not push them away.

Runningaround

Incompatible phone, lack of storage space and not trusting the app not to hog data or battery or be snoopy are often -given reasons. Why doesn't some retailer make an easier website?
How much space does an app use for a ticket? Once you've bought the ticket you can access it at all times, you don't have to google it each time you want to check the ticket. My fingerprint unlocks my phone screen so who's gonna nick that?
And it does more than a physical ticket can as you can quickly switch to the updated times, send your Delay repay claim off immediately, and that original thing it was built for ringing a taxi/mum/girlfriend. You can even chat to the TOC's twitter team if the guard doesn't understand a ticket or bother turning up.

TUC

Established Member
It comes back to what many have already said above. What do you mean by 'incompatible phone'. Your phone is almost certainly an Andriod or IPhone. Which apos are incompatible with these?

What do you mean by an easier website? Most of them seem to be very similar to rail apps.

It is not the space for a ticket that is a concern, it is the space and (nosiness) of the app itself.
How much space? I just checked. I have 151 apps on my phone, with no sign of running out of spce.

JamesT

Established Member
Isn't an app a program, rather than a website?
Depends how they’re implemented. Some phone apps are basically just the browser loading a version of the provider’s website and with the usual browser menus etc, disabled.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
[...]
How much space? I just checked. I have 151 apps on my phone, with no sign of running out of spce.

Not everyone has a phone with ample storage space. Older and lower end phones can struggle for storage.

MikeWM

Established Member
It comes back to what many have already said above. What do you mean by 'incompatible phone'. Your phone is almost certainly an Andriod or IPhone. Which apos are incompatible with these?

I have a Microsoft phone. A little old, but it works perfectly well for what I need it for. Why would I want to buy another?

JamesT

Established Member
I have a Microsoft phone. A little old, but it works perfectly well for what I need it for. Why would I want to buy another?
You want something that is actually getting security updates? I liked Windows Phone, I had two generations of Lumia. But I wouldn't want to put a device on the internet that isn't supported by the manufacturer any more.
It did get boring when events were going "Just use our app to keep up to date" and when you asked they'd never heard of Windows Phone.

Though even people using Android and iPhone are at the mercy of time marching on. Google and Apple add new APIs with every release and apps will often have a dependency on a particular feature. E.g. the NHS Covid App required iOS 13.5 or higher, so people with iPhone 6 which had stopped getting new versions couldn't use it.

TUC

Established Member
With all respect, using a phone with an operating system no longer being updated, whilst it may well be perfectly fine for basic use, is so unusual a situation as not to be an argument against using apps for tickets.

MikeWM

Established Member
You want something that is actually getting security updates? I liked Windows Phone, I had two generations of Lumia. But I wouldn't want to put a device on the internet that isn't supported by the manufacturer any more.

Depends what you're using it for. Yes, if you're doing banking or checking your emails or similar on your phone. But I'm only using it for phone calls, texts, music, radio, and a very occasional look at specific websites (eg. RealTimeTrains).

I usually have an iPad mini with me that I use for web-browsing on wifi etc. And banking etc. I only do on desktop machines, where I have a better understanding of security.

Though even people using Android and iPhone are at the mercy of time marching on. Google and Apple add new APIs with every release and apps will often have a dependency on a particular feature. E.g. the NHS Covid App required iOS 13.5 or higher, so people with iPhone 6 which had stopped getting new versions couldn't use it.

Entirely by accident I didn't upgrade beyond iOS 13.4... ;)

---

With all respect, using a phone with an operating system no longer being updated, whilst it may well be perfectly fine for basic use, is so unusual a situation as not to be an argument against using apps for tickets.

True; but it is an argument against *forcing* people to move to new ways of buying tickets when there are perfectly adequate ways of doing so already that *don't* require me spending £££ on a new phone that I don't want or need.

ashkeba

Established Member
Data released by Google last month saix over 40% of android phones are on versions no longer getting current security updates (Android 8 or earlier) , so not such a minority. I think Google has released this news to try to get people to buy new phones, but people will resist while it mostly works for them because of both money and planet worries, and once they do upgrade then the old ones might be sold on.

And even if that is not the problem, it is possible to have a security-updated phone and simply the app developer has required a later API version than your phone has.

And for the size thing, I do not know how big the TOC apps are. I use a ticket wallet app with emailed tickets (9MB with a year of tickets in it. I should clean that), not a TOC app. Maybe someone who uses them can tell us? Go into Settings, Apps, the app name and look under "Storage and Cache".

JamesT

Established Member
Data released by Google last month saix over 40% of android phones are on versions no longer getting current security updates (Android 8 or earlier) , so not such a minority. I think Google has released this news to try to get people to buy new phones, but people will resist while it mostly works for them because of both money and planet worries, and once they do upgrade then the old ones might be sold on.

And even if that is not the problem, it is possible to have a security-updated phone and simply the app developer has required a later API version than your phone has.

And for the size thing, I do not know how big the TOC apps are. I use a ticket wallet app with emailed tickets (9MB with a year of tickets in it. I should clean that), not a TOC app. Maybe someone who uses them can tell us? Go into Settings, Apps, the app name and look under "Storage and Cache".
I don't have a TOC app installed, but the Trainsplit one on my Android phone claims to be using 45.20 MB.

alistairlees

Established Member
According to statcounter over 85% of android phones in the uk are on version 9 or above of Android.

317 forever

Established Member
Not having a smart phone could mean reams of paper to print all e-tickets off.

Although I did book split Advances Stockport - Sheffield - Lincoln for September, my first e-ticket was a LNWR/TfW Off-peak Return from Manchester to Euston on the August Bank Holiday, albeit actually just Stockport - London Euston in practice.

If I were to have 3 or more tickets as part of a split ticketing exercise, I would probably revert to fast tickets.

6Gman

Established Member
After observing the spirited debate here, I decided to visit a ticket office to buy my ticket for the first time in about 5 years.

They were adamant the fare I wanted (and had been on travelling on for months) didn't exist. And I nearly missed the train as I then had to frantically buy one online.

As far as I am concerned, ticket offices are dead. Get the staff out and about the station actually helping passengers, instead of inconveniencing them.
How would moving them out and about improve the advice they could give?

6Gman

Established Member
Give a man a fish (ticket) and he will eat well today.

Teach a man how to fish (use the TVM) and he will eat well for the rest of his life.
But if the advice is that the ticket the person wants is unavailable (which was the point the poster made) then it is still incorrect.

35B

Established Member
I have, in the thread above, suggested that I would introduce older, non techie relatives to online stuff using an iPad, but that's no good for going through gates with an e-ticket, so if you really want to get ticketing out of stations you do still need a means of printing stuff at the station, even if it is a much simpler kiosk type arrangement with an A4 laser printer or till roll printer inside.
You assume a binary split between “can’t” and “won’t”. From bitter experience over the last 15 years, I’m very conscious of a middle ground, which might better be described as “mental block”. Lots of effort has been invested in training to use mobiles and tablets, but still the (entirely mentally sound) individual in question cannot get his head around the use of these devices in ways that this 40-something regards as instinctive.

Status
Not open for further replies.