• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is a FGW 142 in the north east?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
But I agree, its quite funny, loads of new stock has been/will be built and yet hardly anyone seems to gain more units :roll:

It's your has been / will be split that explains the reason not much has happened. The only thing that has 'happened' is really the units made available by the 37 LM 350/2s, which have basically been split between FCC(GN) and NXEA. Neither operator has brought all their units into full use - which is why as you say hardly anyone has gained anything yet. Then there's the Thameslink 377/5s on loan from SN - not too high a profile, at least nationally. The LO 378s and 172s were not part of the DfT published HLOS figures, so the 313s to SN are not really part of the total either...

Have I missed anything? No 379s yet, no 172 driven cascades yet, no lengthened Pendolino yet...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainBrain185

There's a couple of reports and pictures elsewhere on this forum of 142063, one of FGWs' 7 Pacers, heading north through the likes of Northallerton and Durham earlier this evening. I'm presuming it was headed for Heaton depot, but can anyone confirm this and tell me exactly why it's up in the north east? And what route did it take north, as that is quite a major journey!
Not really a major journey. I recall many years ago when some of the the original GWR Chocolate and Cream 142's in all their naughty Leyland TL-11/SCG glory made the long journey north to us at Heaton from the Cornish Branch Line services to grace the North East services. Was nice to see the GWR livery here in the NE at the time...

sprinterguy

Established Member
Not really a major journey. I recall many years ago when some of the the original GWR Chocolate and Cream 142's in all their naughty Leyland TL-11/SCG glory made the long journey north to us at Heaton from the Cornish Branch Line services to grace the North East services. Was nice to see the GWR livery here in the NE at the time...

They did indeed make a pleasant change from the Provincial light blue standard livery! It's nice to have a bit of variety. And 142025/6 survived in the livery for quite a while as well. I'd still say that Exeter to Newcastle is rather a lengthy trek for a 142, although I think you're right, in comparison to the "Skippers" making their way up from Cornwall in original condition it pales into insignificance a bit.

TEW

Established Member
FGW only have 3x ATW 150s now anyway, 1 unit (150280) left last year and was replaced by a SWT 158 and a second unit (150281) left a month or two ago and is currently being replaced by LM 150 (150125)
150281 never went back, 150125 was for extra capacity in the summer but it has now returned to LM. 150267/278/279/281 are the ATW units with FGW at the moment.

Foxhound

Even though Scotrail gain a load of freed up 158s after A-B opens they are still planning to keep a loco hauled diagram. This has just recently gone out to tender.

There have even been mumbling of FGW keeping 1 loco hauled diagram, even after the cascade.

If this comes to fruition there's conclusive proof God exists, and he rates skips!
On a serious note, the loadings on the Fife Circular daily and on the Paignton in high season show that demand could not be met by a 158, let alone a 2 car 150. Is there a whiff of common sense?
Some of the 150/153 combos into Cornwall on peak time services are akin to the Circle Line for armpit to armpit overload too. FGW seriously need to review what's going on across the Tamar, passenger numbers are up according to regular commuters, and 3 cars can't cope.
It's just very sad that the push-pull model, so ably demonstrated by 33/1s and 47/7s 'back in the day', and WSMR now, is unlikely to rear its head in the Duchy. Capacity could be dealt with in a flexible way then, and pax would appreciate the improved comfort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.