• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why so long to develop East - West Rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richieb1971

Established Member
Jimm,

I think you arrived late to the party. I said numerous times before that I understand it takes time. I didn't understand why no organic growth on the project had materialized in the time NR have had to this point.

I don't really know whats going on the other end of the spectrum. I live in Bedford and the part of the line your talking about doesn't affect me.. or does it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimm

Established Member
Jimm,

I think you arrived late to the party. I said numerous times before that I understand it takes time. I didn't understand why no organic growth on the project had materialized in the time NR have had to this point.

I don't really know whats going on the other end of the spectrum. I live in Bedford and the part of the line your talking about doesn't affect me.. or does it?

You just keep talking about progress, well there's plenty of progress in the form you seem to want, something physical to look at - just not near Bedford.

The Bletchley-Bedford section is far from straightforward to tackle due to the need to work out what to do about all those level crossings - and hardly the top priority given:

a. They want to get Oxford-Bicester section finished off and open next month
b. the scale of what is required to get the Bicester/Claydon-Bletchley section back in use and the planning, legal consents, etc, that requires. You may not want to talk about Oxford-Bicester but the actual physical work on the ground - bar the Oxford station end where other factors such as resignalling are involved - has taken 20 months since the line closed last February. This after Chiltern first started the ball rolling seven years ago. I exclude the Bicester chord line, which is more like two years' work, as that was new construction.

People far better informed than me have explained what is going on and why there aren't people dressed in orange running around day and night, yet you now demand to know how taxpayers' money is being spent. Maybe they should set up the project office in the concourse at Bedford station so you can 'see' what they are all doing. How does that sound? Or, like the Planner says, make an FoI request to Network Rail. Or just go to one of their consultation events. They are in Bletchley tomorrow and Marston Moretaine on Wednesday.

https://consultations.networkrail.co.uk/communications/ewr-phase-2/consult_view

Last edited:

Pigeon

So they should have relocated the entire development to make it more convenient for interchange on a line that was about to be closed?

Milton Keynes Central didn't open until 1982. Bletchley was the main station until then. And centring the development around the existing station would have provided a stronger argument against closure. It would have been possible to provide services along an east-west axis through the centre as well as north-south.

Milton Keynes was something of a botch in terms of its connection to existing transport. Not just being built without a central station, but its link to J13 M1 and J13 itself have been rubbish from the start.

This in the UK, where the entire political process, which ultimately determines where the money for such schemes - the most important bit of the whole process - comes from is dominated by short-term thinking, which is why it has taken so long for the scheme's local backers to get Whitehall to pay attention.

That's before you get down to all the practical stuff that needs to happen on the ground, which has been outlined in copious detail, even if you don't want to hear it, or understand why you can't just click your fingers and a railway appears.

Yes, the deficiencies of the political process are part of what I'm complaining about.

And the "practical stuff which has been outlined in copious detail" is not "practical" at all and certainly does not need to happen. It happens because it suits the politicians to have the necessity for making any serious decision delayed until they'll have moved on to a different office, and at the same time support employment in the parasitic agencies which implement the delaying tactics. "Needs to happen" is stuff like assessing the deterioration of unmaintained structures to see what will need doing to them. And then doing it all over again because the original information is now out of date.

1. The track between Bicester-Claydon-Aylesbury Vale Parkway and Aylesbury-Princes Risborough isn't reusable.
2. The ballast along these sections is also spent and mostly unusable.
3. The track between Claydon-Bletchley doesn't exist in places.

Laying track and ballast is not hard. But even so, the longer it takes the more it deteriorates and the more needs to be done to sort it out.

4. The overbridges are mostly foul of electrical gauge.

That was never a problem originally. That only came up once it had dragged on long enough for someone to come along and throw a spanner in the works by adding a big extra thing which has to be done at the same time as all the other engineering work and needs all the existing assessments of overhead structures to be redone.

Solution to the MKC problem of being 'the centre of attention', enabling through services without reversal.

Utilise the Bradwell - Newport Pagnell line (currently a redway), but would require a major effort to reconnect to the slow lines on the WCML, then new-build alignment alongside the M1 motorway to rejoin the existing MVL at Ridgmont.

A lot of that route is obstructed at the ends, and it also does nothing to solve the similar reversal problem that exists at Bedford.

I prefer to come off the WCML north of Wolverton, and run along the outskirts of the current built-up area to Newport Pagnell, then up the Ouse valley to join the reopened Bedford-Northampton line to the west of Olney.

Like Bletchley E-N, this can be considered as a separate project from the main E-W and so does not need to act as a further cause of delay.

Confidently awaiting howls of protest, of course.

Whilst I agree almost entirely with what you (and several other learned correspondents) have posted in this thread there is some evidence that the lack of a direct service to MK has retarded passenger growth on the Marston Vale Line. It is cited as the main reason why people ( especially commuters) don't use the line in greater numbers. That and the poor reliability. I don't really mind changing trains but many do.

(The community rail group conducted a survey a few years ago but i cant find it now!)

PS Even after this work is complete and more trains are running between Beltchely and MK most of us on the Vale will be reliant on the hourly LM ( or other) service. It might say c.60 minutes MKC - Bedford on NRES but far too often it is X minutes via bus ;)

I tried commuting on it once for a couple of weeks from Bedford to Wolverton when my car was off the road. It was, quite simply, bleeding useless.

To be at work by 8am I had to leave home at some hour so ungodly that my mind has rejected the horror of remembering it, get to work at 7:20 and hang around in the car park in the rain for 40 minutes waiting for the boss to get there with the key. The wait in the evening wasn't quite as bad but it still took the best part of 2 hours to get home. The infrequency of the service was part of the problem but the need to change at Bletchley pretty much doubled the problem.

This is a joke right? Do you have any grasp of geography or the layout of the site, the costs involved in changing the exiting infrastructure and/or fitting some mad cap scheme into the available footprint before you start buying up an entire business park and then knocking down half of Bletchley! Do you have any grasp of what is actually feasible and realistic in the real world? It is a bit harder than getting out your map and crayons, drawing a nice curve and shouting MAKE IT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is something I have thought about every time I've been past the site because the need for through running between MK and MV is so cryingly obvious, see above. It does not require anything as hyperbolic as "knocking down half of Bletchley". It's not a difficult problem. It's a bridge. Like the one that already exists starting at the same point, only not so big. Bridges are not difficult. We've got sections of motorway that run on them for miles. Railways, too.

yes obviously a joke - no one in the real world can honestly suggest this surely?

A north-about loop from MK to Bedford? Certainly, I've had the same idea.

I think you are using a definition of "real world" which is entirely alien to me. The real world is defined by physics. The difficulties of building a bridge or a railway line are a function of engineering, which in turn is a branch of applied physics. They are not, in any of these cases, great. This is shown by the existence of a plethora of comparable structures which were nearly all built when the less advanced state of engineering made the difficulties a lot greater.

Difficulties caused by people being awkward are not "the real world". They are stuff people have made up. It is always possible to make up something different.

There are countries that work the way you want them to, Richieb1971 - China is one of them - and Iraq had a tendency that way. You did not find many NIMBIES in Sadam Hussein's Iraq, that's for sure.

Which if pretty ok if you were the top honcho, or someone very close, as , in that case nobody builds a 6-lane motorway that so much as impedes on your land, let alone your house. For the remaining 99.5% of society, however, if your house was in the way, tough luck. Complain and you'd be enormously lucky to only rot in jail for the rest of your life.

Democracy is not an easy way of life.

This has no relevance to the case of East West Rail. (The various suggestions above are not, of course, part of East West Rail.) We are not talking about building a brand-new 6-lane motorway. We are not talking about a brand-new anything. We are simply talking about replacing the clapped-out track, ballast, bridges, signalling and so on, on a railway that ALREADY EXISTS.

This is not difficult. It is in fact very easy because the railway is currently disused. It is far more difficult to do it on a main line with trains running on it all the time, but that doesn't stop them doing it. It could, and should, have been done years ago; all that has been achieved by fiddling endlessly on is to allow the unmaintained structures to deteriorate so that things which once would have needed only repair or refurbishment now need to be completely replaced.

I'm a beggar so I can't be the chooser. I'm starting to blame the system now more than any party or individuals. To me, I envisage an end product and set out to accomplish the project. I don't see how railways differ from any other infrastructure from that standpoint.

I've been blaming the system all along :)

If you have a tick sheet and every box must be checked. The more boxes, the more failure points. The more failure points, the more likely it won't be completed. From what I have read above the tick sheet is far too long for a railway as it stands.

And the politicians love this. Politicians of both sides tend to see transport, and railways in particular, as more of a nuisance than anything else. Low on voter priorities for the most part, requires long-term thinking in a short-term environment, involves decisions which are pretty much guaranteed to **** someone off, noisily, no matter what you decide, takes lots of money, and is perceived as being disadvantageous to your political career. So they just LOVE to be able to hide behind a mountain of statutory requirements and announce that they are holding another survey or inquiry or consultation because it looks like they're doing something and being all active and concerned, it doesn't cost as much as actually doing something, and with any luck by the time the consultation reports back they will have moved to a different department and it will be some other bugger's job to deal with it.

We have a system which selects for power people who want power, and where the required skills for remaining in power include evading responsibility for anything likely to be seen as unpopular, being a weasel, toadying to those at the top, and leaving your brain outside and voting just as the leader tells you to. And also, it seems, it helps to be part of a crony network who help each other to power and keep each other in line by holding the dirt on them about hilariously disgusting activities involving dead pigs, which while wonderfully funny doesn't involve any actual harm to anyone, but also rape and death in suspicious circumstances, which is a different matter entirely.

It's not just at the sharp end that it's rotten, it's rotten right the way through.

subject1

Milton Keynes Central didn't open until 1982. Bletchley was the main station until then. And centring the development around the existing station would have provided a stronger argument against closure. It would have been possible to provide services along an east-west axis through the centre as well as north-south.

Milton Keynes was something of a botch in terms of its connection to existing transport. Not just being built without a central station, but its link to J13 M1 and J13 itself have been rubbish from the start.

Milton Keynes Central wasn't open till 1982 because the town had not matured enough to justify a Central station yet.

Milton Keynes is supposed to be a 'new town', with a new city centre etc. If they had centred the development around Bletchley then they would either not be able to achieve this objective, or would've had to destroy much of Bletchley, which would not be viable.

If anything, Milton Keynes probably has better connections to the existing transport network than most other places. It is (conveniently!) placed between Birmingham and London on the N-S axis, and Cambridge and Oxford in the E-W axis. It is connected to both the M1 and the WCML, which are both some of the important transport arteries in the country.

I am all for health and safety, making a great railway and doing it right.

The problem here is that the tick sheet isn't available for public viewing. Nobody in the public can "see" progress. The work being done should be scrutinized at ANY stage by the public if it falls behind. Everyone has a right to know where tax payers money is going and hows its spent.

Now here I have some sympathy. As we have discussed at length, it takes time to build/rebuild a railway - 8 years being par for this sort of project. It is very unclear to the general public what takes the time and why it can't be done quicker, and people get suspicious when time passes and money gets spent without any apparent result.

This leads to much ill-informed comment in the press and from politicians. The consultation sessions are great but more could be done to make the process more transparent, and point out the lengthy process that needs to be completed before a single shovel hits the ground. This information exists as demonstrated by the hugely enlightening contributions from the experts on this forum.

At least then people know what to complain about - whether the process is falling bahind schedule, or they just think the schedule is too long!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
SEE ABOVE

I am not going to respond to the majority of your deranged wibbling but:

How then do you propose to fit a bridge bridge into the existing railway footprint between Denbigh Hall and Fenny Stratford - take a look at Bing or Google earth.

How do you hope to go up, over a rising line to the fly over, avoiding all the industrial units, depot, stabling sidings and NR depot before curving and getting back down to connect into the existing line before the single track bridge over the bypass and the embankment behind Tesco and joining it all together before FS flyover junction. The angles and gradients will be severe.

While the roughly triangular area between Watling Street and the Railway line is pretty grotty i am sure the business owners might want some compensation for the loss of their premises and LM will want a replacement depot and stabling location as will NR.

How much do you reckon all that will cost? Would it not be easier just to reverse in P5 at Beltchley or even the new flyover platform if the signalling allows thus providing a direct service at a fraction of the price? That, old chap, is the real world.

As for the bonkers proposals by you and others for crazy routes via god knows where consider one thing: Finance ( and the lack there of - real world once again)

Last edited:

zn1

the issue is this, the line was mothballed after the stoke gifford - wolverton ARC runs finally stopped, then Gypsies moved on the bed, cut and sold the rail, and the sleepers, the bed has been cleared of vegetation, and will again, as said the ballast is old and requires getting rid of, in the ideal world there will be a massive bullldoze of the bed to clear rubbish, and treat the line as complete total renewal, it will signalling, with a couple of passing loops if not redoubled, one assumes it will be strung up for power...essentially short term it could have some steel work thrown down in the gaps, and then one of the rail renewal behemoths going to work on it resleepering, railing and ballasting, like everything priorties - as for MKC it was built to be extended as it has been in the recent works, i think MKC looks superb now, the Terminating platform stub should be a min four car, a oversight i think for future jobs south west and east etc..

it could be opened though within 6 months for i reckon 40mph traffic if NR was to pull the stops out and just get the steel, sleepers and ballast renewed with a behemoth..see what happens i guess

DarloRich

Veteran Member
the issue is this, the line was mothballed after the stoke gifford - wolverton ARC runs finally stopped, then Gypsies moved on the bed, cut and sold the rail, and the sleepers, the bed has been cleared of vegetation, and will again, as said the ballast is old and requires getting rid of, in the ideal world there will be a massive bullldoze of the bed to clear rubbish, and treat the line as complete total renewal, it will signalling, with a couple of passing loops if not redoubled, one assumes it will be strung up for power...essentially short term it could have some steel work thrown down in the gaps, and then one of the rail renewal behemoths going to work on it resleepering, railing and ballasting, like everything priorties - as for MKC it was built to be extended as it has been in the recent works, i think MKC looks superb now, the Terminating platform stub should be a min four car, a oversight i think for future jobs south west and east etc..

it could be opened though within 6 months for i reckon 40mph traffic if NR was to pull the stops out and just get the steel, sleepers and ballast renewed with a behemoth..see what happens i guess

:roll:

Yes, the deficiencies of the political process are part of what I'm complaining about.

And the "practical stuff which has been outlined in copious detail" is not "practical" at all and certainly does not need to happen. It happens because it suits the politicians to have the necessity for making any serious decision delayed until they'll have moved on to a different office, and at the same time support employment in the parasitic agencies which implement the delaying tactics. "Needs to happen" is stuff like assessing the deterioration of unmaintained structures to see what will need doing to them. And then doing it all over again because the original information is now out of date.

Youa re suggesting that it suits politicians to invest in schemes that deliver benefits after they leave office? Most often, the criticism is the reverse - that their view is too short term because their longest time horizon is the next election. Usually, whoever is in office is more than happy to cut the ribbon on some shiny new scheme. And this sometimes means plans are rushed to meet political deadlines.

That was never a problem originally. That only came up once it had dragged on long enough for someone to come along and throw a spanner in the works by adding a big extra thing which has to be done at the same time as all the other engineering work and needs all the existing assessments of overhead structures to be redone.

Rather than doing it later when it's harder and much more expensive?

Confidently awaiting howls of protest, of course.

Why? If it's a viable and beneficial project, why not? Maybe a subject of a separate thread though.

I think you are using a definition of "real world" which is entirely alien to me. The real world is defined by physics. The difficulties of building a bridge or a railway line are a function of engineering, which in turn is a branch of applied physics. They are not, in any of these cases, great. This is shown by the existence of a plethora of comparable structures which were nearly all built when the less advanced state of engineering made the difficulties a lot greater.

Difficulties caused by people being awkward are not "the real world". They are stuff people have made up. It is always possible to make up something different.

The real world is not solely defined by physics. In this context, it's defined also by what is affordable, legal and politically achievable. Including convincing enough people who may have views that differ from yours, which isn't usually achieved through lengthy rants and generic abuse of 'the system'.

This is not difficult. It is in fact very easy because the railway is currently disused. It is far more difficult to do it on a main line with trains running on it all the time, but that doesn't stop them doing it. It could, and should, have been done years ago; all that has been achieved by fiddling endlessly on is to allow the unmaintained structures to deteriorate so that things which once would have needed only repair or refurbishment now need to be completely replaced.

'This is not difficult' has been said several times. Firstly, it is more difficult than it looks if you take the time to understand all the procedures that need to be followed - although I take your point that you think these procedures should be reduced or abolished. Secondly, something can be not difficult but still take a long time. Travelling by train from Oxford to Cambridge is not hard, but neither can it be done in an hour.

We are not talking about a brand-new anything. We are simply talking about replacing the clapped-out track, ballast, bridges, signalling and so on, on a railway that ALREADY EXISTS.

Sigh. No we aren't. We are talking about increasing linespeed, closing level crossings, upgrading infrastructure and electrifying the line. Yes, we get it, you'd prefer just to bung some track down to reinstate what was there, presumably also run heritage DMUs along it at 60mph max, but that isn't what most people want.

It's not just at the sharp end that it's rotten, it's rotten right the way through.

Easy to criticise, what would you do instead? Remembering Churchill's comment that democracy is the worst system of government there is, apart from all the others that have been tried from time to time. And trying to concentrate on subjects relevant to EWR...

HowardGWR

Established Member

You managed to read that first sentence? I got a headache halfway through and gave up.:D

Seriously, if folk want us to read their posts, a smidgeon of punctuation would help.

40 mph railway? I suppose it would be operated with Adrian Shooter's D78s with diesel engines?

CdBrux

We are not talking about building a brand-new 6-lane motorway. We are not talking about a brand-new anything. We are simply talking about replacing the clapped-out track, ballast, bridges, signalling and so on, on a railway that ALREADY EXISTS.

I'm informed, that, sort of... "To do a given thing takes x amount of time. If you were taking longer, then you weren't doing it properly. If you are doing it faster, you are doing a different thing"

jimm

Established Member

And assessing things like the deterioration of unmaintained structures was precisely what I meant by practical stuff that needs to happen. You can't draw up a work programme and work out the costs without knowing things like that, for pete's sake. And we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship, so people do need to be consulted and issues resolved properly.

We are simply talking about replacing the clapped-out track, ballast, bridges, signalling and so on, on a railway that ALREADY EXISTS.

So you think that's simple, do you? I'm not a civil engineer but I can see that doing something like that is far from simple. Oxford-Bicester already existed and was open to trains - but has needed some serious remedial work on structures and embankments to make it fit for 100mph double track.

charley_17/7

Milton Keynes Central wasn't open till 1982 because the town had not matured enough to justify a Central station yet.

Milton Keynes is supposed to be a 'new town', with a new city centre etc. If they had centred the development around Bletchley then they would either not be able to achieve this objective, or would've had to destroy much of Bletchley, which would not be viable.

If anything, Milton Keynes probably has better connections to the existing transport network than most other places. It is (conveniently!) placed between Birmingham and London on the N-S axis, and Cambridge and Oxford in the E-W axis. It is connected to both the M1 and the WCML, which are both some of the important transport arteries in the country.

Milton Keynes Central wasn't built, or paid for, by BR. BR was quite happy for the new city to be served by Bletchley and Wolverton stations.

Obviously, Milton Keynes Development Corporation could see the need for a major station to serve not just CMK, but the city as a whole, and funded the station itself, with permission from the then DoE.

The station was built by Mowlem, and the freehold is held by Threadneedles. Threadneedles lease the station to Network Rail (previously Railtrack and BR), who then further lease to London Midland.

Last edited:

asylumxl

Established Member
Milton Keynes Central wasn't built, or paid for, by BR. BR was quite happy for the new city to be served by Bletchley and Wolverton stations.

Obviously, Milton Keynes Development Corporation could see the need for a major station to serve not just CMK, but the city as a whole, and funded the station itself, with permission from the then DoE.

The station was built by Mowlem, and the freehold is held by Threadneedles. Threadneedles lease the station to Network Rail (previously Railtrack and BR), who then further lease to London Midland.

Who leased it to the company that made that Superman movie?

subject1

I appreciate your point, but I don't understand the relevance to my point?

There appears to be a lot of leasing and sub-leasing though!

aylesbury

All this talk of rerouting around the back of MKC is ridiculous as it will not happen and will divert action from the main job.

The line is there but not fit for purpose; the old stations now in private ownership will get a shock when 100mph trains start going by.

I recently went over a bridge on the section near to Bletchley and its obvious looking at the formation that it's going to have to be completely renewed plus the culverts and embankments need major work.

When I was at the consultation I was struck by the lack of knowledge shown by many of the staff; only one person could answer technical questions and the others tended to stick to a script. But the visual aids were brilliant the detail of every section was easily available. For instance, when asked if a passing loop was going to be put in at Aylesbury and Risborough the answer was "no, we will push the trains through faster"!

The work required is far more than originally thought. I think that they were going to put in a 75mph railway then events overtook them and the spec raised by outside people. Let's be patient and it will happen. I just hope I will be able to ride on the first train from Aylesbury to MKC!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Planner

Veteran Member
So the two schemes cannot compliment each other? I don't believe we should be going down the road or rail or nothing inbetween route, it would never work.

muddythefish

On Moderation
So the two schemes cannot compliment each other? I don't believe we should be going down the road or rail or nothing inbetween route, it would never work.

Agree but where is the commitment to the Bedford - Cambridge rail section. Will it happen before 2025, if at all ?

The point I was trying to make is that although there has been increased investment in rail in recent years, the road building programme has been restarted in earnest too with £15bn of investment announced.

D365

Veteran Member
Now we know why it's taking so long to develop East-West Rail (the title of the thread).

The govt would rather spend hundreds of millions of pounds upgrading the A428 to dual carriageway between Cambridge and Bedford.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/details-of-2-billion-roads-plan-for-the-east-of-england

Of which almost half of the dualling has been complete since 2007, to Caxton Gibbet.

Would you kindly please stop your complaining in every thread, the A14-A428-A1 triangle in Cambridgeshire has long been starved of investment. Your opinion has been made clear enough, but cutting road improvements does not mean the same money will go elsewhere in the DfT budget.

Agree but where is the commitment to the Bedford - Cambridge rail section. Will it happen before 2025, if at all ?

Will it happen? I wouldn't be surprised if the DfT waited to see how EWR phase 2 gets on before committing serious money to the scheme (i.e. more than just design development money).

Before 2025? I'd have thought highly unlikely, given the actual delivery timeframes for most large NR schemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.