• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan-Bolton electrification. Construction updates only please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I am pleased to report I received an email from a stalwart of the Northwest Electrification programme who posted very regular updates and a well photographed and catalogued record of the schemes.

Today they are on a recce of the area as well as Vic- Staly. Hopefully they will give regular updates on this scheme here two. Those stalwarts are @LDECRexile and @wrinkley

jwbuchanan

Not sure if has been noted elsewhere, but the M61 overbridge on the Chorley line has finally had its parapets done. I've no idea why the Wigan line ones were raised years ago unless someone simply mixed up the bridges...

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Not sure if has been noted elsewhere, but the M61 overbridge on the Chorley line has finally had its parapets done. I've no idea why the Wigan line ones were raised years ago unless someone simply mixed up the bridges...

At risk of dragging this off topic it was a complex one from a standards perspective and took a while for all parties to agree on an acceptable way forward.

Elecman

Established Member
I Mentioned that on the other thread several weeks ago

LDECRexile

Established Member
Thanks for the kind mention Gralastair.

Wrinkley and I went for our first jaunt in the Hindley and Westhoughton area ten days ago.

The most tangible evidence of action we saw were notices around Bridge 7 in Westhoughton informing the public that it will be closed until the Spring.

We are in the process of building a spreadsheet of overbridges and foot crossings (there are no vehicle level crossings) over the route. We will post it in due course.

We have agreed to go out and about together monthly. I'm sure we will exceed that, as Wrinkley lives within walking distance and a visit from Gralastair will prove irresistible, as will news of "events" such as Bridge demolitions.

I hope to revive contact with Forumeers from the Chat Moss and Manchester-Blackpool electrification and look forward to contacts new.

Good to be back.

wrinkley

I had a trip along the Lostock - Wigan line today with LDECRexile. There are more signs of work on the bridges. According Bolton Council's footpath closure notice, bridge 7, next to the M61, is to be replaced, the brick parapets have already been demolished.

Work has started today on bridge 18 at Crow Nest Junction which we were told is to be raised. We were also told that bridge 13 at Westhoughton golf club is to be replaced and bridge 17 at Jacks Lane is to be raised.

Photos to follow later.

Elecman

Established Member
That is a great question. I don’t know. However, the WCML is AT as is Manchester to Preston so for the short stretch one would assume as both ends are AT this bit would be too.
I think it will be Boosterless classic like Preston to Blackpool North as there won’t be any intermediate track sectioning cabins so no need for AT

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I think it will be Boosterless classic like Preston to Blackpool North as there won’t be any intermediate track sectioning cabins so no need for AT
Thank you for that piece of information. Unlikely to be a heavy power/current draw either on that section.

That should keep costs down a bit too.

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Which of course would add a whole lot more cost.

So Ordsall Lane or Willow Park or possibly even Catteral?
From discussion on the old Manchester - Preston electrification thread, I seem to remember that a neutral section is planned just west of Lostock. That is why a long overrun was provided from Lostock Jn on to Wigan line - it will enable the neutral section to be well away from the junction.

Presumably this means that the rest of the line will be fed from the Wigan end.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Went on a big recce today with @LDECRexile from Lostock Jct station to Hindley. Photos to follow. Not a colossal amount of progress but there has obviously been boots on the ground.

One thing is certain - I am sure Hindley station will receive some attention during the works. Looks a pretty good bet that this will be a key work compound as there is one there already.
Hindley 2.jpgHindley 2.jpgHindley 3.jpgHindley 4.jpgHindley 5.jpgHindley 6.jpgHindley 7.jpgHindley 8.jpg

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
This bridge looks like one of the cheapest to do.

3 tonne bridge 1.jpg3 tonne bridge 7.jpg3 tonne bridge 6.jpg3 tonne bridge 8.jpg

This one probably not as cheap
BW 22.jpgBW 23.jpgBW 24.jpgBW 25.jpgBW 26.jpgBW 27.jpg

Meanwhile here is a YouTube of the route from Wigan Wallgate all the way through to Manchester Oxford Road

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
NR press release

Passengers are being advised of upcoming changes to Sunday journeys between Wigan and Bolton to prepare for a major electrification upgrade.

Network Rail is investing £2.3m as part of the Great North Rail Project to build a new railway bridge high enough for 25,000-volt overhead cables to pass underneath.

The bridge rebuild is needed so a £78m electrification scheme along 13 miles of railway can take place.

The major investment will ensure that older diesel trains can be replaced by cleaner and longer electric rolling stock.

By 2025, the electric trains will provide passengers with greener, more comfortable, and more reliable journeys.

To make way for the overhead lines, seventeen structures – like Chew Bridge in Westhoughton – need to be overhauled.

It will be removed on Sunday 22 January and a new steel bridge will be built in its place on Sunday 19 February.

On both days passengers will be kept on the move by rail replacement buses* between Wigan North Western and Bolton.

WatcherZero

Established Member
£2.3m for a pedestrian bridge deck replacement.....

edit:
It serves one small farm which has a bridge on the opposite side already, though this seems to be the only track access to these particular buildings, would have been cheaper to just provide access to the bridge that serves the neighboring farm and houses.
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

edit:
It serves one small farm which has a bridge on the opposite side already, though this seems to be the only track access to these particular buildings, would have been cheaper to just provide access to the bridge that serves the neighboring farm and houses.
View attachment 109058

Unlikely to have been cheaper. It would have required an order to permanently close the footpath, which requires local authority support; even if it did it would be guaranteed to have triggered objections. If the local authority are not inside, you’d need to go down the TWAO route. Either way, it means a public inquiry, which even for something as simple as this adds a year to the programme, with no guarantee of a successful result. That would cost more than £2m.

So, the options are:

1) Apply to close the footpath, with a certainty of a minimum 12 month delay, a certainty of costs of public inquiry etc., potentially loads of local hassle, no guarantee of success, and possibly have to rebuild the bridge anyway.

2) rebuild the bridge from the outset.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
You can see how electrification costs add up with that sort of cost for one small bridge.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Having looked into this a bit more, it’s a completely new bridge, with vehicular capability, in a particularly tricky place to build it. (Bang up against 2 houses, with a Motorway adjacent) £2.3m looks cheap to be honest.

Veteran Member
Having looked into this a bit more, it’s a completely new bridge, with vehicular capability, in a particularly tricky place to build it. (Bang up against 2 houses, with a Motorway adjacent) £2.3m looks cheap to be honest.
There seems to be access to the track from that side of the line - is that required by NR, or left over from a former accommodation/occupation crossing?