• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan-Bolton electrification. Construction updates only please

Gricer99

From March 13th Realtime Trains has all stops at Hindley station (which we have been told is to be closed until mid-July) billed as "Service stop unadvertised".
What will that actually mean?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
From March 13th Realtime Trains has all stops at Hindley station (which we have been told is to be closed until mid-July) billed as "Service stop unadvertised".
What will that actually mean?
It means they are timetabled to stop but will not open doors.
They could easily not stop, all depends on what actually happens.

Gricer99

Thanks.

They are meant to be erecting a temporary footway for the duration of the bridge works but, short of clearing some vegitation, so far there is little sign of any work on this.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
They are meant to be erecting a temporary footway for the duration of the bridge works but, short of clearing some vegitation, so far there is little sign of any work on this.
I think it'll show up just before the works start, making a temporary pedestrian bridge will probably take a lot less time than the new road bridge.

Gricer99

I think it'll show up just before the works start, making a temporary pedestrian bridge will probably take a lot less time than the new road bridge.
My money is on them keeping the road open for pedestrians while they construct the temporary bridge during the first week or two of "the works"

AMD

It's a background procedural thing, to keep the timings for the station in the systems. Trains in reality will only stop if the signal at Hindley is red as traincrew diagrams for the period don't have Hindley showing at all.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
It's a background procedural thing, to keep the timings for the station in the systems. Trains in reality will only stop if the signal at Hindley is red as traincrew diagrams for the period don't have Hindley showing at all.
That's exactly what I thought, in reality I expect they'll just sit at the next stop (DSY/WHG/INC/WGW) for those extra minutes.
Are they likely to be slowed down by a TSR in place there or will they be able to run through at speed?

scragend

The workmen have arrived and the road is now closed. Didn't stop two cars (one from the top, one from the bottom) that I saw driving past all the "Road Closed" signs, right up to the barriers and having to be turned back by the workmen :rolleyes:

IMG_20230313_125357810.jpg

My money is on them keeping the road open for pedestrians while they construct the temporary bridge during the first week or two of "the works"

At the moment, pedestrian access is along the existing pavement on the station entrance side. Metal fencing is in place to separate this from the road itself.

Gricer99

A pictorial update for you from earlier this week. The cables are being pulled and re routed over the temporary scaffolding that has been erected on the Western side of the bridge.

Also worth mentioning that it won't be finished on time. From the local residents Facebook page:
Public Information Ladies Lane Railway Bridge Reconstruction After weeks of rumours that Network Rail had hit a snag delaying the bridge project until at least September. It has now been officially confirmed that Ladies Lane will be closed for much longer than first indicated. The news is very disappointing and will compound the loss of trade on shops and businesses.
The following is the notice from Network Rail:- NETWORK RAIL: ELECTRIFICATION/LADIES LANE UPDATE Dear All, I would like to make you aware of the following, we appreciate that our major investment to electrify the railway at Hindley is disruptive for residents and we’re sorry this is now going to take longer than expected. Projects of this scale involve lining up multiple organisations, like utility companies, so we can all use the road closure to work at the same time. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to align our work as we’d hoped to originally so we’re finalising a new plan for the work, which I will communicate as soon as I can.
Kind regards Sarah Network Rail

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_194031971.jpg
    IMG_20230417_194031971.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20230417_194048941.jpg
    IMG_20230417_194048941.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20230417_194146049.jpg
    IMG_20230417_194146049.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20230417_194204349.jpg
    IMG_20230417_194204349.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20230417_194208280.jpg
    IMG_20230417_194208280.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20230417_185525579.jpg
    IMG_20230417_185525579.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20230417_181813850.jpg
    IMG_20230417_181813850.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Hindley bridge completion will miss July schedule by 'months' due to staff shortage, no revised completion date as yet.
A Network Rail spokesperson said: “We appreciate that our major investment to electrify the railway at Hindley is disruptive for residents and we’re sorry this is now going to take longer than expected.
"This large project involves lining up multiple organisations, like utility companies, so we can all use the closure of Ladies Lane to its fullest potential."

“We’ve run into some difficulties aligning all the work which needs doing which is why we will need to keep the road closed for longer."
"When we know exactly how much more time we need, we will communicate details with residents and local businesses immediately."

Gricer99

Down to bare setts and some coping stones removed from parapet. Temporary foot bridge is almost ready.
New electronic sign saying replacement bus will run from Market Street May 6th to 13th (this may be wrong now if delays are slowing down progress)

Attachments

• IMG_20230428_162405066_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230428_162405066_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20230428_162417323.jpg
    IMG_20230428_162417323.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20230428_162459686.jpg
    IMG_20230428_162459686.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 109

ste238

The line is to be completely closed from 6th May to 13th May with buses between Wigan and Manchester.

snowball

Established Member
The line is to be completely closed from 6th May to 13th May with buses between Wigan and Manchester.
And here's the press release for that:

Rail passengers are being advised of a six-day railway closure between Wigan and Bolton from this Saturday while work continues on the electrification of the line.

Network Rail is progressing with a £78m investment to upgrade the 6.5-mile stretch of railway* to enable electric trains to serve the key North West towns in the future.

In preparation for the installation of high-voltage overhead electricity cables, alterations need to be made to 17 railway structures along the route.

One of those is Ladies Lane bridge in Hindley and work began in March when the road was closed.

Now a six-day railway closure is needed for engineers to work in safety on the tracks without trains running.

To keep passengers on the move between Saturday 6 and Friday 12 May, replacement buses will run between Wigan North Western, Westhoughton, Daisy Hill, Ince and Lostock**.

People planning rail travel between Wigan and Bolton between those dates are being advised to check www.nationalrail.co.uk in advance and to allow extra time for their journeys.

Gricer99

Apparently this closure is required so they can extend the Manchester Bound platform length so the station can accommodate longer trains. It was meant to coincide with demolition of the bridge but that has been delayed due to scheduling issues with contractors.

ste238

According to the Friends of Hindley Station Facebook group the station will reopen on the 24th July.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
According to the Friends of Hindley Station Facebook group the station will reopen on the 24th July.
I've checked with RTT that that lines up and it does, but as post #315 points out, the bridge is yet to be demolished, could this cause further delays?
That also is the same date RTT starts showing the trains as going to Headbolt Lane, the opening of which is not at all set in stone yet, I feel this might be similar.

ste238

They get their information from Network Rail so I assume demolition is imminent but I see your point.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
They get their information from Network Rail so I assume demolition is imminent but I see your point.
Is it possible these two strike days will allow them more time to work
I only see 1 train that could be a risk
and based on its location it's part of active work on the line already, but not at Hindley, probably for general maintenance on the line.

Instead of finishing today they have Friday and Saturday, except for that 5am Freight Train

WatcherZero

Established Member
Unfortunately not its identical dimensions to existing bridge but change in materials, new one is a Pony Plate steel girder bridge replacing the existing stone formed concrete road bridge. The platform footbridge is a similar like for like replacement of a x girder with plate bridge and a proper mesh steel open top rather than chicken wire as present, the old one was looking pretty grotty anyway. The platform bridge steps are a bit longer and its being recentred to emerge into the centre of the platform rather than its existing placement close to the down platform edge.

I think the significant thing is they are removing the stone steps from the bridge down to the canal street car park and not replacing them so you will have to walk all the way to the bottom of the bridge ramp and double back adding around 150-200m to the walk from the car park to the platforms. If the station ever gets a decent car park I hope they reinstate some steps.

childwallblues

Established Member
That's exactly what I thought, in reality I expect they'll just sit at the next stop (DSY/WHG/INC/WGW) for those extra minutes.
Are they likely to be slowed down by a TSR in place there or will they be able to run through at speed?
I travelled the line yesterday on 769458 and we passed Hindley at line speed.

Foggycorner

On trip into Wigan this morning I noted that Jack lane bridge has now got deck beams in place so progress at last

Gricer99

RTT shows no trains at Daisy Hill n the weekend of June 24th with replacement busses all day at Westhoughton from 25-29 June.
RTT is also showing no trains passing through Hindley at all from next week and this arrives on Saturday morning, June 23rd...
so it looks like the 24th of June for the bridge demolition at Hindley.

Last edited:

Gricer99

I talked to one of the workmen today and it seems they are almost ready to open the temporary footbrige and are planning on dropping the old bridge and installing the new bridge in the last two weekends in June.
Real-time trains appears to confirm this.
I wrote to Network Rail for an update and received this email this morning.

"We hope to conclude our consultation with the council this week regarding reopening Ladies Lane and will issue comms directly, which will address the majority of your questions.

The platform extensions are not yet complete but are on schedule to be so when the station reopens and stopping services re-commence, 24 July.

Changes to Deep Pit/Iron Bridge are still in consultation.

I don’t believe the height of existing platforms are being changed but will confirm with the project team and get back to you asap."