• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan-Bolton electrification. Construction updates only please

Gricer99

I think the works are in reference to the bridge at 53.541596, -2.581086 (google maps), which is much more red.
Despite passing under that bridge well over 200 times I don't think I have a picture of it.
What bridge is that pictured there?
Here it is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231019_230119_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_230119_Firefox.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_20231019_230435_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_230435_Firefox.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 143
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CdBrux

Is it usual to run a consultation on how to do something key to delivering the overall project part way through the project rather than having sorted this out before?

jonesy3001

Established Member
Was in wigan today and noticed bases both sides when going into or coming out of wallgate but the platforms haven't been touched though at hindley.

thealexweb

Was in wigan today and noticed bases both sides when going into or coming out of wallgate but the platforms haven't been touched though at hindley.

Is this for the overrun? We’ve never had any suggestion before Wallgate itself would be wired.

Foggycorner

went into wigan from bolton this morning and counted at least 20 new piles/bases from the junction towards ince and more ground investigation squares on the way to crow nest junction

GhostManDN91

I also noted that a new work site is being built just east of Crow Nest Junction. They've already got materials there to do with OHLE and seen a few guys in orange high Vis yesterday there too. Makes me wonder when the next big set of works will take place with stations etc?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Compact circular concrete pads for 100m south of North Western then steel base plates for another 100m. Hindley drain ducts have been installed for the platform extension but no surfacing begun yet. As mentioned a nearby field has been hardcored.

Update: By my return platform edge coping has been laid on platform 1.

Last edited:

Foggycorner

travelled between Bolton and Wigan this morning and noticed that Mast base piles have now reached Hindley Station from Wigan, but without without a plan unable to tell if any are missing
meamwhile alterations to chulsey gate lane bridge in Chew moor progress slowley

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
These posters have shown up along the whole line, I assume it's in relation to these works, I don't think this long of a closure is usual maintenance.
Buses replace trains between Manchester and Wigan via Bolton and Atherton on the dates shown
Both Routes Closed
- All weekends in January
- All weekends in February except Saturday 17th
- All Sundays in March except Sunday 31st
Only Westhoughton Route Closed
- February 12th-16th (Spring Half Term)
Only Atherton Route Closed
- February 17th

Map showing the closed area (Salford Crescent - Wigan via Both Routes), trains will likely be diverted via Chat Moss where possible.
ABLVV86_-UepLT_D22MmoFm5J7AJBDtH-5xNA94gGf6Amo80pfLSxDQSVPlHtQXi-vuwFU9ZcDXSjZ4jhaTyAbMz3guC9ssMvtzjaiX9OGpu1HPjmrQcpCc6hBDcJZJza65E1_0HODBJ7tqDqTz0Q0redkYLgY_yuRqmx11afxhqxcOjB4KcnukNtolqwZrr0smWR6u8WqDkc1v_CtJsT2M32ijJnbhzjw32t6HtRdtuDkRUI_886UsNnh5D9miZxx8bLPwJbElk0-Umuixjdih7uJX4fSvA7RF9IM0b9VBC7wh-I3c7T06_uwu11qZj7fwLNsx5XV5r8-lLfs2uiBUgLL0eN0lPyncWAda8E643_bIAt7jp8u3Oo7i6r5HL9_OKZ4IIKT_kRkiPlt0s7khhvLdU7NZInLSIppmQy4oHM65gY-_WzBAPfUWvbwJJ5Ry7ny8HI7FwbtmnziCnEGj52rn9l3qOikmbUYSfmYdDAw8J2kbii4dc87xBboqAVPUkBHVVIh8jCgwTOn4WYPcBKd6-cZbSuixKJTy6yEfSpwWVss1MZozD3B7BN_oj4aRWbLG71-lT4y4xsdlvbOyegi-V7WW3t7RnMU6SHzKPONmlYHC14A2bTw6OGtYLDJ3dBTbcIdwQs8r7Ody_8g6j67Q7eFeNyaSquu01c8uaInq1iTZjy4JzVFEH55IO7_-MhCkkgPat__gPjzh_DQMEp1bBOS3FZRzzCyR66Uvy4RJPjtdWn0_gi5XaJhbJviArn4E__11yP3SfltyWXVg3VFmjIpKwheUVzB0NeRbyUB8hjfc4ZrlT6zl9D56M9P9oUxtMHABXKzS5quMgSIwoMptzEpjUzN-Bz-DXiMBQ1ni9S8jaaHSGBQspc3zQGepSwI-mCsY=w989-h745-s-no-gm
ABLVV86mpFtTE6crGOmMyYX7psDzkEf1_1MX_tDXP7uHg9fxgO7arKjtHHDVuvFfkX9sEnF1Jn1k46I423okA4Y1gWcO_n9HrsuCANzGoWS-T5sx_-WJmxbdwvdry5KpuURP41ox_IxD9vuKJuFu3vX7zCsSOuNo4HanmWSlW2sPnOfc14XCv2_MIlGAqOr-ak1mSzeJCEPCh_cQPVNOsrFUKcEMOH5DnF427TLSefV_8RXqpdYnjpA75lDeMXLG1eqRtgLQtjD26i0WldQS11GBAmmXr4s8TV0e4x9nO3d7xrfDWfCRnlQo08e-bWgKJ5x9jkq9qYDFLSTj1kpBtSxN8z4OYQ0hUD1RXcCq8WGyQ17pyEjidQRA288NQ0UEDhAaPHjixJCoV9hmA_ySuWI7rR9U0_aRJxlJP6JaHSUtJnhPNkmVZeiHsFTBc7ufi5rG90kc3m16dUpHyCMMKlbsJgG1-qkSkcPVPk5K9SA84lRrnVZ5dCBMZeSGbasGSAVOVfDAB6AeoNnnEOy536e9dEbVIov1mr9VLOYdY3e-egkX8eDsVW0R9UX8dFDLCov-yu695tvUWaQPPY1ErUDIId48b6OtiuYFGxl6doiLbNj3rr13y2qQ9AqCGWl2VV-LfSQwEJS1bLdRQ-fqg0op5xVoAa-rYOmW2eYlSui-3ci7KU6n1RvnHIYj3bNxsfozZVDPKj3_gpgdjkKWK3hIKSRQFMeUXxLE9m9ENsJ2rOk6RPO74jC1sCxPYcei656duJqz1Y68mqAbbFQ6fbHY6pw2e3VwLBL5qLm9eR-V9B19lPVqXZj8SAdHwlOK881xoARjMKJc6znRyAExDng1TMOzhXTj4qLt8ssCVK_oJZBCj6PsUA_LurPZDIQat2jIJxBtmnI=w989-h745-s-no-gm

Established Member
These posters have shown up along the whole line, I assume it's in relation to these works, I don't think this long of a closure is usual maintenance.
I can’t tell if Northern are being more or less vague than normal, given that this information has appeared on a page on their website, but I am yet to see one of the posters about it.

It claims that diverted services will be calling at Wigan North Western, even though diverted Southport services will obviously run from Wigan Wallgate and fails to mention that some days, no trains will run through to Southport in addition to this.

They obviously must be completing electrification works during at least some of these closures, but I believe there will be other engineering works timed to coincide with them, between Wigan and Southport and at Salford Crescent, since it is inconsistent whether there are trains from Wigan to Southport or Bolton to Manchester on these weekends.

td97

Established Member
Don't want to speculate too much, but it sounds like they are using a small blockades approach to maximise the amount of work done.
Yes that looks like a series of 54hr (Jan & Feb) and 29hr (Mar) possessions plus a half-term blockade. Should see some real progress over these months.
Given Northern's current atrocious Sunday performance it absolutely makes sense to utilise Sundays for engineering works.
I can’t tell if Northern are being more or less vague than normal, given that this information has appeared on a page on their website, but I am yet to see one of the posters about it.

It claims that diverted services will be calling at Wigan North Western, even though diverted Southport services will obviously run from Wigan Wallgate and fails to mention that some days, no trains will run through to Southport in addition to this.

They obviously must be completing electrification works during at least some of these closures, but I believe there will be other engineering works timed to coincide with them, between Wigan and Southport and at Salford Crescent, since it is inconsistent whether there are trains from Wigan to Southport or Bolton to Manchester on these weekends.
It coincides with the drainage work on the Bolton route. The Blackpool North to Manchester Airport is diverted via Wigan North Western and calls there.

JBuchananGB

On Saturday there was an hourly service from Southport to Oxford Road and vice versa on the diversion route. One bus per hour between Wigan and Manchester on each of the closed routes. On Sunday the Southport service was to/from Blackburn via the diversion, but most of them were cancelled!

59CosG95

Established Member
A little update from Kier on the Civils element of the project, including the OLE foundations. 150 foundations have been completed; another 280 will be completed this year.

david l

That's about 1 pile a day, and its not 6 platform extensions, its actually 3 with the clearing of 20+ years growth at Ince (island) and Hindley (Wigan direction)

jonesy3001

Established Member
A little update from Kier on the Civils element of the project, including the OLE foundations. 150 foundations have been completed; another 280 will be completed this year.
Wonder if the other 20 foundations are the bridges, since there's supposed to be 450 foundations been done.
According to the government page.

The upgrade project will provide 450 new overhead line equipment stanchions, and modifications to 17 bridges and two-level crossings. Platforms will also be extended at Hindley, Westhoughton and Ince stations to reduce overcrowding at peak times and cater for six-carriage trains in the future.

WatcherZero

Established Member
That's about 1 pile a day, and its not 6 platform extensions, its actually 3 with the clearing of 20+ years growth at Ince (island) and Hindley (Wigan direction)

The Hindley Wigan direction work I saw a couple of months ago was quite extensive and not just clearing vegetation. They had excavated, relevelled the soil and installed new drainage channels with it awaiting a new platform surface to be poured while in the Manchester direction they were laying an extension of the run of platform edge coping stones.

td97

Established Member
its not 6 platform extensions, its actually 3 with the clearing of 20+ years growth at Ince (island) and Hindley (Wigan direction)
Will possibly need platform reconstruction for compliant platform height, and likely coper adjustments too. Yes not built from scratch, but they didn't claim that.

david l

OK, but how long is it going to take for a route of about 6-7 miles??
Announced many moons ago, completion 2025 (ish) and for what.....no wires into Wallgate so no benefit for Southports or anything via Atherton which is/was the quickest route to Manchester before the 50mph line limit was imposed.

snowball

Established Member
This link seems to contain the most information we have had in ages, possibly ever, about the content of this project, so I think it merits quoting:

With work having been underway for 12 months, our team in the North West have made great progress on the Wigan to Bolton electrification project.

The important link between the two towns is receiving a significant investment from Network Rail to install overhead line equipment (OLE) carrying 25,000 volts of electricity over the railway and improve signalling on the line.

Our teams have been working their way through route clearance and overhead line equipment foundation works and have so far completed 3 bridge reconstructions (at Masons, Jacks Lane and Ladies Lane), 1 track lowering at Chorley Road and 150 OLE foundations.

In 2024 they will complete the remaining civils scope, comprising of 2 bridge reconstructions at Chulsey Gate and Ince Green Lane, 2 bridge jacks at High Barn and Deep Pit, 6 platform extensions at Westhoughton, Hindley and Ince stations, an ancillary civils package, lineside devegetation and another 280 OLE foundations.

This will then be followed by signalling, power and telecoms packages all in support of the overhead electric installation and commissioning.

Many thanks to all our supply chain partners who have helped us make such significant progress with the project...

td97

Established Member
Has there been any information on how 6-car 323 (138m) formations are expected to serve Moses Gate (85m), Farnworth (100m), Kearsley (109/126m) and Clifton (95m)?

jonesy3001

Established Member
Post on LinkedIn about the OLE material being delivered to lower barn farm that will be installed over the Easter holidays at the wigan end of the line.
Credit to Derek Allan.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Has there been any information on how 6-car 323 (138m) formations are expected to serve Moses Gate (85m), Farnworth (100m), Kearsley (109/126m) and Clifton (95m)?

Only the hourly Southport diesel service calls at those stations.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
OK, but how long is it going to take for a route of about 6-7 miles??
Announced many moons ago, completion 2025 (ish) and for what.....no wires into Wallgate so no benefit for Southports or anything via Atherton which is/was the quickest route to Manchester before the 50mph line limit was imposed.
In the late 50's they used to take a possession of routes on the Glasgow Suburban branches and get six foundations in every weekday between 1000-1500!!

td97

Established Member
Only the hourly Southport diesel service calls at those stations.
Presently. There's the possibility/expectation of a timetable recast though, with 2tph Wigan to Stalybridge EMU and the Southport rerouted via Atherton. The 4 stations between Bolton and Salford can only really be served by the Wigan service.

hwl

Established Member

Presently. There's the possibility/expectation of a timetable recast though, with 2tph Wigan to Stalybridge EMU and the Southport rerouted via Atherton. The 4 stations between Bolton and Salford can only really be served by the Wigan service.
You aren't the only person who been having those thoughts, I'm sure "it won't be a problem Northern can us 319s/769s" was probably the plan at one point...