• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan-Bolton electrification. Construction updates only please

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
IMG_20240420_185751111.jpg
Spotted this poster in Manchester Victoria (on Platform 4), first non-digital publicity I've seen about the closure.
Changes to train times
From Sunday 2 June until late 2024*

Ince station will be TEMPORARILY CLOSED
- no trains will stop

This is due to major electrification upgrade works on the bridge adjacent to Ince station

Planning your journey
During this time, customers are advised to travel via Wigan Wallgate or Hindley stations

Purchasing a ticket
If you need to purchase a ticket, you can do so online or via the Northern app, as the ticket vending machine at Ince station will also be temporarily unavaliable.

3 QR codes are visible which would open the walking route from Wigan/Hindley to Ince, and one for the local bus service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This may not be news for locals, but there is a length of earth wire up on the westbound line east of Wigan Stn Jn.
There are also 49 masts up towards Hindley, all with cantilevers attached.
Then after Crow Nest Jn there are 41 bases before Westhoughton, and another 21 before Lostock Jn.
Didn't get to see the eastbound line.
Great progress!

david l

This may not be news for locals, but there is a length of earth wire up on the westbound line east of Wigan Stn Jn.
Then after Crow Nest Jn there are 41 bases before Westhoughton, and another 21 before Lostock Jn.
Great progress!
Went through on Friday, and whilst I didn't count the numbers, there appears to be similar progress on the eastbound. The masts have had their cantilevers attached quite recently.
No masts or piles in the vicinity of Ince station for probably 150 yards either side of the station, and no severe cutting back of the undergrowth around there (unlike the near razing of the undergrowth from by the west side of the A577 up to and well past Crow Nest). This is not surprising considering the reconstruction of the road bridge over Ince station. Construction of temporary footbridge over the line at Ince station seemed well advanced and was being worked on as I went past.

themiller

Great progress!
Those wires must have been installed after I passed through on Thursday afternoon. I took a video clip but it’s too big to post.

Thornaby 37

It was mentioned in a recent Branch Line Society newsletter that it is necessary to replace both the road overbridge and the footbridge (the only access points to Ince station) before electrification work can begin, hence the temporary closure

GhostManDN91

What's going on with that red footbridge near Hindley? Also Westhoughton station needs work done to it aswell. Unless a station closure there is happening too?

exsignalman

What's going on with that red footbridge near Hindley? Also Westhoughton station needs work done to it aswell. Unless a station closure there is happening too?
Deep Pit Footbridge (AKA Hindley Ironbridge) was scheduled to be removed but was made a grade 2 listed structure, so it will survive albeit with some modifications.. to be jacked up & raised by 1mtr etc.

It would appear though that NR are looking to completely remove the original south lattice approach ramp & replace it with a brand new one despite it being listed & also an extensive part of the original structure.
On the northern side it would appear that NR also plan to add & include a non matching non sympathetic approach ramp (links to planning permission applications/technical drawings & proposals etc)..

planningdocs.wigan.gov.uk/planning/planning-documents?SDescription=A/24/96992/18PDA&viewdocs=true

planning.wigan.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=SAE7VSRRKXT00&activeTab=summary

planning.wigan.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=SAJEMKRR0C800

Also there's an update on Higher Barn Lane overbridge (at Crow Nest Junction) that I saw today (06/05/24) there's a couple of sheets of paper fixed to a fence adjacent to the bridge giving notice relating to a temporary closure & diversion of the footpath (& I'm presuming closure of the road also?).
I think that the footpath diversion goes from the A58 (Castle Hill Road) via Hindley Mill Lane, through the tunnel under the railway that's alongside Borsdane Brook, then taking a sharp right to get back to the footpath via Higher Barn Farm to connect with the footpath on the northern side of the bridge.
The closure to commence on the 28th May 2024 for a period of approximately six months to enable works to be carried out etc etc etc.
If I get chance to get to back up there I'll try & get some photos etc.

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
Deep Pit Footbridge (AKA Hindley Ironbridge) was scheduled to be removed but was made a grade 2 listed structure, so it will survive albeit with some modifications.. to be jacked up & raised by 1mtr etc.

It would appear though that NR are looking to completely remove the original south lattice approach ramp & replace it with a brand new one despite it being listed & also an extensive part of the original structure.
On the northern side it would appear that NR also plan to add & include a non matching non sympathetic approach ramp (links to planning permission applications/technical drawings & proposals etc)..

planningdocs.wigan.gov.uk/planning/planning-documents?SDescription=A/24/96992/18PDA&viewdocs=true

planning.wigan.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=SAE7VSRRKXT00&activeTab=summary

planning.wigan.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=externalDocuments&keyVal=SAJEMKRR0C800

Also there's an update on Higher Barn Lane overbridge (at Crow Nest Junction) that I saw today (06/05/24) there's a couple of sheets of paper fixed to a fence adjacent to the bridge giving notice relating to a temporary closure & diversion of the footpath (& I'm presuming closure of the road also?).
I think that the footpath diversion goes from the A58 (Castle Hill Road) via Hindley Mill Lane, through the tunnel under the railway that's alongside Borsdane Brook, then taking a sharp right to get back to the footpath via Higher Barn Farm to connect with the footpath on the northern side of the bridge.
The closure to commence on the 28th May 2024 for a period of approximately six months to enable works to be carried out etc etc etc.
If I get chance to get to back up there I'll try & get some photos etc.
When then we wonder why the cost of everything balloons. The heritage lobby are a cancer in this country.

Some guy

Be very interesting to see if tpe crews and Avanti crews would sign the Wigan to Bolton diversion once electrified as a way to divert their services

thealexweb

Be very interesting to see if tpe crews and Avanti crews would sign the Wigan to Bolton diversion once electrified as a way to divert their services

TPE did sign this route until around 2014. I don't believe Virgin/Avanti have ever signed this route.

td97

Established Member
Likely Avanti as the project includes 390 gauge clearance. Of course, an improvement on the Preston route as a diversion for Avanti as Wigan NW can still be served

zwk500

Veteran Member
Likely Avanti as the project includes 390 gauge clearance. Of course, an improvement on the Preston route as a diversion for Avanti as Wigan NW can still be served
Clearance is one thing, route knowledge is another. Although Wigan NW can still be served (which it could via Chat Moss anyway), the connection is extremely restricted capacity so only a skeleton service could use it. I'd be surprised if Avanti did maintain regular knowledge.

Clearance is one thing, route knowledge is another. Although Wigan NW can still be served (which it could via Chat Moss anyway), the connection is extremely restricted capacity so only a skeleton service could use it. I'd be surprised if Avanti did maintain regular knowledge.
Yea P1 isn't long enough for avanti stopping trains

scragend

TPE did sign this route until around 2014. I don't believe Virgin/Avanti have ever signed this route.

I have a photo taken in Hindley on a Sunday in April 2004. It's not a photo of the railway per se (so I'd rather not post it) but the line is clearly visible and there's a Virgin Voyager on it.

WibbleWobble

I have a photo taken in Hindley on a Sunday in April 2004. It's not a photo of the railway per se (so I'd rather not post it) but the line is clearly visible and there's a Virgin Voyager on it.
I can vouch for that - I've stood on Platform One and seen a Voyager race through heading towards Manchester.

I do also have proof of TPX heading that way! (Photo of a Class 185 heading towards Manchester, taken 9 August 2008)

Attachments

• 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    818.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

thealexweb

Ah are we talking about the same service just years apart? Did you see Pre-Transpennine Virgin XC?

scragend

Ah are we talking about the same service just years apart? Did you see Pre-Transpennine Virgin XC?

Pass. It was this:

Voyager.png

(Image: cropped photo of Virgin train on line through Hindley)

25th April 2004. I don't know where it was going so I suppose it being XC is possible.

Last edited:

TBSchenker

Virgin (West Coast) did sign Wigan-Crow Nest-Lostock Jn. They used to have an evening 'drag' for competence with a Class 57 and 390 from Preston to Longsight.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
A trailer-based red crane with something connected to its hook. A trailer-based red crane with something connected to its hook.
These are the best photos I managed to get of the crane.
I don't think the size of it comes across easily on the photos, since there's not too much to compare it with.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Here are a couple of examples of previous TPE once-a-day route retention services between Wigan & Bolton which appeared in public timetables.

They didn't seem to run them at times of day conducive to gathering a photographic record.
  • May 2007: TPE had a Mon-Sat 06:13 Wigan NW to Manchester Airport via Bolton. This one had advertised stops at Hindley & Westhoughton, so bleary-eyed commuters could indulge in a First Class seat if they chose.
    There did not seem to any TPE train advertised in the opposite direction - maybe they ran something ECS in the Down direction.
  • May 2012: TPE trains in each direction, both in the evenings:
    20:08 SX Barrow-in-Furness - Manchester Airport (21:48 at Wigan NW)
    22:00 Manchester Airport - Barrow-in-Furness (22:48 SX at Wigan NW, SO direct Bolton to Preston)

[EDIT] Apologies - just realised this post is a bit OT for an 'Electrification construction updates" thread.

Attachments

• Northern14_May2007.pdf
    454.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Table82_May2012_U.pdf
    298.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Table82_May2012_D.pdf
    290.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: