• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

will east coast trains participate in regular rail ticketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The normal commercial way to handle this is to say you are completely independent and not Orcats-raiding current fares. This gets you the approval from the ORR. You then start, get the buy-in from some influential MPs etc about cheap fares, and then say you aren't making money and will have to withdraw the service unless you are let in to regular ticketing, completely forgetting to mention you started off saying you didn't want it, and if you are "forced" to withdraw the service it's all the ORR's fault for not letting you in ...

One very much hopes the operator does not charge people with valid "any operator" tickets again, and certainly not charge penalty fares. It is their responsibility to come up with an approach to check everyone has valid tickets before boarding. If they want to be like an airline, be like an airline. Maybe they even get fined by the ORR if they let anyone on board without a valid ticket. That's what happens to airlines.

Or, alternatively, it is passengers' responsibility to get on a train that they have a valid ticket for.

I suspect this is the usual mountain/molehill, and the vast majority of passengers will manage fine, like they do on Flixtrain in Germany, and FEC will use some discretion for errant passengers (after all they don't want to get a "reputation')

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
One very much hopes the operator does not charge people with valid "any operator" tickets again, and certainly not charge penalty fares. It is their responsibility to come up with an approach to check everyone has valid tickets before boarding. If they want to be like an airline, be like an airline. Maybe they even get fined by the ORR if they let anyone on board without a valid ticket. That's what happens to airlines.
What do you suggest? Roping off part of the platform to ensure that only people with valid tickets get anywhere near the train? Can the the relevant stations set up for that? Stevenage, for the few services that stop there, might prove a little difficult in that respect.

najaB

Veteran Member
I suspect this is the usual mountain/molehill, and the vast majority of passengers will manage fine, like they do on Flixtrain in Germany, and FEC will use some discretion for errant passengers (after all they don't want to get a "reputation')
I expect there will be copious notices and numerous station announcements as well.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Or, alternatively, it is passengers' responsibility to get on a train that they have a valid ticket for.
I suspect this is the usual Railforums mountain/molehill, and the vast majority of passengers will manage fine, like they do on Flixtrain in Germany, and FEC will use some discretion for errant passengers (after all they don't want to get a "reputation')
ECT is also a First Group company, which operates other services into Edinburgh (Avanti and TPE).
It's in their corporate interest to cooperate with each other when the occasion demands.

Taunton

Established Member
What do you suggest? Roping off part of the platform to ensure that only people with valid tickets get anywhere near the train? Can the the relevant stations set up for that? Stevenage, for the few services that stop there, might prove a little difficult in that respect.
That's up to the new operator to manage, it really is. Saying "Oh, we find it too difficult, so we're going to stiff financially anyone boarding outside our conditions instead" is just not acceptable.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That's up to the new operator to manage, it really is. Saying "Oh, we find it too difficult, so we're going to stiff financially anyone boarding outside our conditions instead" is just not acceptable.

It's likely to be a combination of:

-Departure boards clearly stated "FEC Tickets only, Any Permitted tickets not valid"
-Staff on the platform before departure to (politely) check before boarding
-"FEC tickets only" on the screens on the side of the train
-Platform inspections at King's Cross/Edinburgh where this is practical
-A clear PA announcement before departure stating that only FEC tickets are valid, repeated in the screens on the train

In the event that somebody does wrongly board, they could be offered the opportunity to alight at Morpeth/Newcastle/Stevenage to await an LNER service.

If all that is still not sufficient for somebody, then I don't know what is...

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Why? Prople have to take responsibilty for their actions.
...and then watch the complaints to the media and MPs emerge. As is well versed, the reality is that there are people who expect to be able to just catch the next train. It isn't for nothing that the political mantra is "Our new deal for rail demands more for passengers. It will simplify people’s journeys, ending the uncertainty and confusion about whether you are using the right ticket or the right train company." as delivered by the Secretary of State for Transport on 21 September 2020.

This does not fit with that mantra and there is an element of the population who consider operator-specific ticketing arrangements as a function of the railway making things complicated.

We will have to wait and see how this actually plays out.

I note that there are some attractively timed trains for passengers travelling between Morpeth and Newcastle at peak times. There are bound to be some enthusiasts who believe they have the right to use a North East Rover (or similar) between Morpeth and Newcastle to get the units for haulage because the route is on a map or the return tickets don't say 'Not East Coast Trains'. There will be other conflicts.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
...and then watch the complaints to the media and MPs emerge. As is well versed, the reality is that there are people who expect to be able to just catch the next train. It isn't for nothing that the political mantra is "Our new deal for rail demands more for passengers. It will simplify people’s journeys, ending the uncertainty and confusion about whether you are using the right ticket or the right train company." as delivered by the Secretary of State for Transport on 21 September 2020.

This does not fit with that mantra and there is an element of the population who consider operator-specific ticketing arrangements as a function of the railway making things complicated.

We will have to wait and see how this actually plays out.

I note that there are some attractively timed trains for passengers travelling between Morpeth and Newcastle at peak times. There are bound to be some enthusiasts who believe they have the right to use a North East Rover (or similar) between Morpeth and Newcastle to get the units for haulage because the route is on a map or the return tickets don't say 'Not East Coast Trains'. There will be other conflicts.

Reoccupying seats used by London <> Newcastle passengers with Newcastle <> Morpeth ones is no doubt a significant part of the point of stopping there, mind.

DanNCL

Established Member
Reoccupying seats used by London <> Newcastle passengers with Newcastle <> Morpeth ones is no doubt a significant part of the point of stopping there, mind.
Would it be possible for them to be part of the national ticketing system only between Newcastle and Morpeth?

miklcct

On Moderation
I hope East Coast Trains will fail by forcing a reservation only structure.

In my opinion the experience of train travel should be like taking the tube instead of like taking a plane.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Would it be possible for them to be part of the national ticketing system only between Newcastle and Morpeth?

Advances could be offered. Especially as Northern and LNER already do so.

I can buy one departing in 11 minutes for £2.70...

I hope East Coast Trains will fail by forcing a reservation only structure.

In my opinion the experience of train travel should be like taking the tube instead of like taking a plane.

....why? "Hoping they will fail" seems a bit extreme.

Passengers like having seats on long distance journeys. And if you don't want to reserve, use LNER or Avanti... FEC will even take some passengers off them for you...

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

East Coast Trains is not part of the DfT or "National" system, and won't be part of GBR (nor will HT or GC).
It's up to them how much of the GBR setup they sign up to.
Otherwise they are entitled to run trains on a private basis, to the level of service in their agreements with ORR and NR.

najaB

Veteran Member
In theory, I can't see why not, but that would result in the situation where Morpeth to London passengers could hold a Morpeth to London ticket, on a train going from Morpeth to London on which that ticket was valid, having to disembark at Newcastle. Try explaining that one to the average punter.

The train journey from London to Edinburgh isn't that much shorter than a flight from London to New York...

miklcct

On Moderation
The train journey from London to Edinburgh isn't that much shorter than a flight from London to New York...
I hope that the HS2 can change this. Meanwhile I'll just take a plane for such journey unless I'm travelling overnight.

If taking a train means slower but without more flexibility, why the heck will I want to take a train instead of just flying when I'm forced to reserve a seat in advance instead of just grabbing a ticket and take the next available train?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I hope that the HS2 can change this. Meanwhile I'll just take a plane for such journey unless I'm travelling overnight.

If taking a train means slower but without more flexibility, why the heck will I want to take a train instead of just flying when I'm forced to reserve a seat in advance instead of just grabbing a ticket and take the next available train?

I don't follow your logic at all...

What if "grabbing a ticket" included the required reservation on the next train?

Suppose you turned up at King's Cross, wanting Edinburgh. Rock up the the ticket machine.

Next service is East Coast Trains, offering a £25 single, there and then, with accompanying reservation. Train after that is LNER, but all Advance quota sold out, so it's £100 for an off-peak ticket.

So you'd wait for the LNER in that case? Why?

(This forum seems to have a general misapprehension that "Advance" fares can't be bought immediately prior to travel. They can, provided there is quota remaining)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Even in Bournemouth? Or on a 4 hour long distance inter-city route such as to Edinburgh?
You do come up with some strange ideas…

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
This forum seems to have a general misapprehension that "Advance" fares can't be bought immediately prior to travel. They can, provided there is quota remaining
To be fair it's not really the forum's doing. The fact that this practice is just a few years old on most route, still isn't ever the case on some routes where Advance tickets would be available otherwise, and the name given to the tickets being rather illogical under the circumstances of purchasing immediately before travel makes it a typically 'railway' misunderstanding.

najaB

Veteran Member
This forum seems to have a general misapprehension that "Advance" fares can't be bought immediately prior to travel. They can, provided there is quota remaining
Not all. Some specifically require purchase by 6pm/11:59pm the day before travel.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not all. Some specifically require purchase by 6pm/11:59pm the day before travel.

OK, what I should have said is that the "traditional" view of buying Advance fares at least the day before travel is fast becoming outdated, and buying an Advance fare need not be incompatible with walk-up travel.

thedbdiboy

Not really. The trains still look like Heathrow Express trains, say Heathrow Express on the side, and you have to buy tickets that say "Heathrow Express". The only difference is that GWR now provide the trains and staff every day under contract. HEX does everything else.
OK well let's agree to differ, but I guess you didn't have to deal with DfT officials who couldn't understand why there were no national rail retailing facilities at Heathrow Airport, why there were no through tickets to places other than Paddington etc. Staff privs couldn't be used on HEx (they can now). So it's a lot better than it used to be, much closer to Gatwick and Stansted which are advertised and marketed as distinct services but are part of the network.

miklcct

On Moderation
What if "grabbing a ticket" included the required reservation on the next train?
What if the next train doesn't have a seat available? That's the flexibility needed especially in peak hours. A train doesn't have the safety issue which prevent passenger standing the whole journey, unlike an aeroplane or a coach.

Even in Bournemouth? Or on a 4 hour long distance inter-city route such as to Edinburgh?
You do come up with some strange ideas…
I have just completed my trip to London and one of the most appealing thing for me, compared to the high speed super nation, is that I can take a train like a tube whenever I want just by using an Oyster, even on the HS1 between St Prancas and Stratford International. This kind of thing should be England-wide in my opinion. The HS1 has made commuting from Folkestone to London practical. I understand that people like to reserve a seat in advance for longer journey (i.e. those to Cornwall or to Scotland) but I believe this is the point of having first-class travel. Standard class should just be treated as cattle class in my opinion, with maximising passenger capacity and quick movement of passengers the goal.

If the HS1 is operated like China where seat reservation is compulsory, I would be ****ed if the 23:37 train from London to Dover is full. I headed to Dover on that day on just a few hours notice once my friend confirmed her channel swim is on because Dover is boring and I want to stay in London as long as possible.

Bournemouth - London is just under 2 hours, with significant commuter traffic by those part-commuters (e.g. those who work from home 3 days per week and visit the office 2 days per week), so in my opinion this trip isn't long enough to warrant a compulsory seat reservation which will prevent passengers boarding if there are no seats available.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
What if the next train doesn't have a seat available? That's the flexibility needed especially in peak hours. A train doesn't have the safety issue which prevent passenger standing the whole journey, unlike an aeroplane or a coach.

In which case you get the next LNER instead,for which ECT will receive zero revenue. And is their commercial choice to do so.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Standing for a few stops on a busy commuter service is one thing. Standing for hours on an express which first calls at Newcastle is quite another. I know that because I've done it - stood almost all the way on a train from King's Cross to Newcastle. It was absolutely horrible and pretty tough physically towards the end.

And bear in mind - I'm a man in my early twenties with a good level of fitness. Those who are older or have mobility issues would certainly be very uncomfortable standing that long - and in some cases it could be a risk to their health. Why should they be forced to pay first class fares just to have a decent and safe journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.