• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will HS2 trains ever run on an Embankment?

Fazaar1889

Odd question but considering that significant parts of HS2 will be in tunnels, cutting or hidden behind barriers on bridges, is there any part of the route that will run on an embankment similar to the image below? I really like seeing trains like this

Railway_Embankment_South_of_Beattock_-_geograph.org.uk_-_398770.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes, though the boundary fences will be a lot stronger/bigger. Search for the detailed maps on Google and you will be able to see what is in cutting and what is embankement etc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes. It’s fair to say that there are fewer than cuttings, but the HS2 maps definitely show a few embankments. You could check all the map sheets, but here’s a sample below. If you look at the gradient diagram below the map, there’s a number of emankment sections where the red line (the track) is higher than the green, (the land). Also, look for the word embankment at the bottom of that part of the diagram:

The map indexes are accessible from here:

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Odd question but considering that significant parts of HS2 will be in tunnels, cutting or hidden behind barriers on bridges, is there any part of the route that will run on an embankment similar to the image below? I really like seeing trains like this

The trains will run on the normal WCML after they leave HS2, I'd expect there'll be plenty of spots like this.

stuu

Established Member

A lot of the sections with embankments on Phase 1 are going to be built up above the level of the track, so the tracks will still appear to be in a cutting from onboard, and won't be visible from beside the route

Deepgreen

Established Member
A lot of the sections with embankments on Phase 1 are going to be built up above the level of the track, so the tracks will still appear to be in a cutting from onboard, and won't be visible from beside the route
Presumably as much for noise abatement as visual screening. I can't recall where, but somewhere in the south Midlands there is going to be a long viaduct, at least partly over lakes, so there may be opportunities there.

snowball

Established Member
Sounds likely. I caught snippets of Michael Portillo's latest series and he was there.
I'd describe it as outer London rather than south Midlands.
There's a thread about it with several videos.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I'd describe it as outer London rather than south Midlands.
There's a thread about it with several videos.

Yes - I wasn't really paying much attention while it was on - you're right.

bib

I have a feeling a lot of it will be behind noise barriers, maybe delta junction will be the best chance, lots of embankments/viaducts and right in between the M42/M6 so unlikely to need barriers.