• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sprinter107

There are many that were due to retire before covid hit but chose to continue, the fact that they changed their minds during covid means you can rightly attribute that decision to covid as that was the reason they gave for the change of mind.
You cant attribute any such thing. Theyd have gone whether covid came or not. What is this thing with Covid being blamed for everything. While covid is responsible for much disruption on the railway, it certainly wasn't responsible for any driver retiring that I know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

train_lover

There are many that were due to retire before covid hit but chose to continue, the fact that they changed their minds during covid means you can rightly attribute that decision to covid as that was the reason they gave for the change of mind.
Nothing to do with poor management, terrible recruitment practices, continued failings of the company and well the railway not being the railway anymore then? We are talking about proper railwaymen here..blokes that have seen unimaginable change... covid isn't the reason.

Sprinter107

Nothing to do with poor management, terrible recruitment practices, continued failings of the company and well the railway not being the railway anymore then? We are talking about proper railwaymen here..blokes that have seen unimaginable change... covid isn't the reason.
Absolutely spot on.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
As I said, that was the reason those people have to me. You can argue the point all night but that is what they said.

Yes life on the railway is grim currently, and that is why there will be many more retiring from my current depot when they are able to, but as I said before, I know a fair few drivers and guards who have retired in the late 60s in the last 18 months that were previously happy to continue and not looking to hang up their keys. Also, not all staff are blokes.

Sprinter107

As I said, that was the reason those people have to me. You can argue the point all night but that is what they said.

Yes life on the railway is grim currently, and that is why there will be many more retiring from my current depot when they are able to, but as I said before, I know a fair few drivers and guards who have retired in the late 60s in the last 18 months that were previously happy to continue and not looking to hang up their keys. Also, not all staff are blokes.
Nobody said all staff were blokes, we all know that's wrong, but all the drivers who retired at the depot I work at were blokes.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
You cant attribute any such thing. Theyd have gone whether covid came or not. What is this thing with Covid being blamed for everything. While covid is responsible for much disruption on the railway, it certainly wasn't responsible for any driver retiring that I know.
Precisely, not that you know. My experience has been different, that's all I'm saying. Personally I don't blame covid for much other than travelling habits, and huge increase in ticketless travel. We've not had too much absence related disruption at my depot.

train_lover

I also know people who would of carried on but covid isn't the reason they've gone. It's the reasons above. Messrooms aren't the same places they were. You are seeing less and less railwaymen in messrooms and more and more money chasers. You'll know this from your time at Snow hill. Old depots such as Worcester and Leamington aren't the same. Recruitment practices are forcing proper railwaymen out.

I'm not getting into a despute about terminology, women and all the rest of it. I know theirs women on the railway. My wife being one of them. Some of the best crew in know are women. I don't need to go down this road with you.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I also know people who would of carried on but covid isn't the reason they've gone. It's the reasons above. Messrooms aren't the same places they were. You are seeing less and less railwaymen in messrooms and more and more money chasers. You'll know this from your time at Snow hill. Old depots such as Worcester and Leamington aren't the same. Recruitment practices are forcing proper railwaymen out.

I'm not getting into a despute about terminology, women and all the rest of it. I know theirs women on the railway. My wife being one of them. Some of the best crew in know are women. I don't need to go down this road with you.
See now I need to work out who you are, because clearly you know who I am :D.

There have always been, and will always be money chasers at every depot. Snow Hill and Worcester have many, I can't really say how the messrooms have changed given my move from the dark side during covid but undoubtedly it has changed given the state of affairs with training and disruption. I've heard how horrific it has been, nobody needs that and some have clearly choses their life is better outside of the railway because of it. And that will have undoubtedly have an affect on morale and motivation to learn the new traction when it finally gets rolled out at Shrub Hill.

Recruitment do seem time hire a very different type of person now compared to even a few years ago, and yes that will probably not help to keep the old hands either, but as I said, I'm only putting forward a different angle based on what drivers and guards have said their reasons we're. I'm not arguing that every retirement through covid should be claimed as being because of covid, merely that some have made that decision.

LowLevel

Established Member
COVID itself I wouldn't have said has made much of an impact. What seems to have done at our place to a degree is a number of older hands have accelerated plans to depart as they fear, rightly or wrongly, the Government attempting to raid their pensions.

warwickshire

On Moderation

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder this is a traction & rolling stock thread to discuss WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

warwickshire

On Moderation
Thursday 05th May 2022. 37800 has just returned 196108 with Five barrier vehicles back to Tyseley Depot from Long marston on the 5Q66 Vstp 1339 Long marston to Tyseley Depot move.
196108 is now back at Tyseley.

Meanwhile Wednesday 04th May 2022.
Also witnessed at Barnt Green saw 37800 take 196011 196007 196006.
From Tyseley to Long Marston for storage However 196011 196007 196006 are in temporary storage at Long Marston.

Last edited:

GWVillager

Moving back to Tyseley? That's promising, I'm getting quite fed up of the 172s on Birmingham-Hereford fast services, I don't know if I can tolerate waiting until December. That's not to mention how overcrowded those 3 coach 172s are getting. Fortunately, a single 170 pair does seem to be diagrammed (I've made a rudimentary plan, 07:13 from Hereford, 08:50 from New Street, 10:39 from Hereford, 12:50 from New Street, 14:39 from Hereford, 16:50 from New Street, 18:48 from Hereford, 21:00 from New Street - cannot confirm that last one though, never actually seen it). I tend to base any requirement to go on that line around those timings. As far as I'm aware, the Shrewsbury route does still operate with mainly 170s, so that's good I suppose. The 172s really can't compete when it comes to comfort, the 196s will be eagerly welcomed.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've never seen anything but 170s on the Birmingham to Shrewsbury line's WMR services. So you're fine there, and I checked my noted from when I did the 2100 out of New Street in January. It was indeed a pair of 170s then, so your notes are correct. I don't often note the early WMRs out of Hereford, so I can't confirm that one, but everything else you mention is correct.

I know what you mean with the 3 car 172s, they're getting busy and I do wonder how we ever coped with 2-car 170s.

newtownmgr

The 170 diagram starts with the 05:56 ex Worcester & finishes with the 22:59 Hereford-Worcs. I’m led to believe the first 2 196 diagrams on the Herefords to start will be the 170 diagram above & possibly one of the 3 car diagrams although the latter & date of introduction is still to be confirmed. Training has still not started at Shrewsbury or Worcester.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I had forgot about those two services, and I have to wonder how busy the 0556 out of Worcester must be! I'll have to investigate one day, just for curiosity!

I watched 197003 leave Wrenbury yesterday (about 0912) on its mileage run or whatever, and it reminded me just how good the 196s will hopefully be. I'm certainly looking forward to my first ride to Birmingham on one!

craigybagel

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, the Shrewsbury route does still operate with mainly 170s, so that's good I suppose. The 172s really can't compete when it comes to comfort, the 196s will be eagerly welcomed.

I've never seen anything but 170s on the Birmingham to Shrewsbury line's WMR services. So you're fine there, and I checked my noted from when I did the 2100 out of New Street in January. It was indeed a pair of 170s then, so your notes are correct. I don't often note the early WMRs out of Hereford, so I can't confirm that one, but everything else you mention is correct.
Since the demise of the 153s, you can't run anything other than 170s on Shrewsbury services as that's the only DMU signed by Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton depots.

centraltrains

I think the 0836 Great Malvern - New Street is usually 4 coaches too (170 + 172)... my morning train often has to wait for it to go into the depot at Tyseley.

If targeting 170 replacement is the way, wonder if that would be a sooner diagram to go 196 too...

newtownmgr

I had forgot about those two services, and I have to wonder how busy the 0556 out of Worcester must be! I'll have to investigate one day, just for curiosity!

I watched 197003 leave Wrenbury yesterday (about 0912) on its mileage run or whatever, and it reminded me just how good the 196s will hopefully be. I'm certainly looking forward to my first ride to Birmingham on one!
The 05:56 isn’t very busy but how else do you get the 4 car set to Hereford.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The 05:56 isn’t very busy but how else do you get the 4 car set to Hereford.

Oh I know, it's either that or run it as ECS which would be pointless. My point was more of a 'I wonder how busy it actually is' kind of curiosity. The kind of exciting things I'd like to find out, if that makes sense. Much like how I'd like to sample the dead of night last train of the day down to Cardiff, just for the experience.

warwickshire

On Moderation
I think the 0836 Great Malvern - New Street is usually 4 coaches too (170 + 172)... my morning train often has to wait for it to go into the depot at Tyseley.

If targeting 170 replacement is the way, wonder if that would be a sooner diagram to go 196 too...
Or don't forget the 196s are meant to be doing Shrewsbury services first.
Why can't they do something similar for example Shrewsbury to Birmingham New Street peak hour diagrams am and pm vice versa and go to Tyseley Depot as well. Makes sense also.

GWVillager

The 170 diagram starts with the 05:56 ex Worcester & finishes with the 22:59 Hereford-Worcs. I’m led to believe the first 2 196 diagrams on the Herefords to start will be the 170 diagram above & possibly one of the 3 car diagrams although the latter & date of introduction is still to be confirmed. Training has still not started at Shrewsbury or Worcester.
Forgot about those. I've been on the 22:59 once, I was the only passenger!

317 forever

Established Member
I am not anticipating any 196s, or 730s for that matter, to be in service in time for the Commonwealth Games. (Even the Metro extension to Wolverhampton station might not be open as driver training seems to have been delayed due to the problems with the rolling stock, causing the main service to be suspended).

centraltrains

Why can't they do something similar for example Shrewsbury to Birmingham New Street peak hour diagrams am and pm vice versa and go to Tyseley Depot as well. Makes sense also.
They do...

09:20 arrival from Shrewsbury goes into Tyseley in the morning https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G43200/2022-05-17/detailed https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C34763/2022-05-17/detailed
10:19 arrival from Shrewsbury also goes into Tyseley in the morning https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G43203/2022-05-17/detailed https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G43203/2022-05-17/detailed

16:34 to Shrewsbury comes from Tyseley in the afternoon https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C34790/2022-05-17/detailed https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:P95999/2022-05-17/detailed
17:34 to Shrewsbury comes from Tyseley in the evening https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C34789/2022-05-17/detailed https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:P96494/2022-05-17/detailed

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I am not anticipating any 196s, or 730s for that matter, to be in service in time for the Commonwealth Games. (Even the Metro extension to Wolverhampton station might not be open as driver training seems to have been delayed due to the problems with the rolling stock, causing the main service to be suspended).
196 training is underway now, SC won't be out training until 13th June (revised) and therefore units into service date has now been pushed back to September.

730s aren't due in the Midlands until around December anyway. First lot of units are replacing the 319 trains with training in September (currently)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I saw these in the flesh for the first time yesterday. They do look smart I have to say.

Tony2

On Tyseley in the row nearest the main line were at least 196103 196104 196105 196110 196111 yesterday.

Last edited: