• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
And would the result be that two 170s go straight to EMR in a 1-in-1-out sort of thing?
Well WMT NRC has dates for all lease expiry dates and the 170s is 'April 2022', though with both being under Abellio stewardship they may be some wiggle room.

The 350/2s are listed as 'April 23' so presume that when 730/1 are due into service currently.

Does anyone know how flexible the ROSCOs are with hand back dates when they have a future contract agreed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Well WMT NRC has dates for all lease expiry dates and the 170s is 'April 2022', though with both being under Abellio stewardship they may be some wiggle room.

The 350/2s are listed as 'April 23' so presume that when 730/1 are due into service currently.

Does anyone know how flexible the ROSCOs are with hand back dates when they have a future contract agreed?
As far as I'm aware the WMR 170s have all been leased on paper to EMR for some time now so are being subleased back, which I assume will continue given it isn't feasible to simply stop running trains between Birmingham, Hereford and Shrewsbury.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

Dept of T are ultimate arbiters here so nothing will change that cause a detriment to another operators ability to operate a service especially with Commonwealth games.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sir! I cannot believe a man of your calibre still requires the North Bay at Wolves :lol:

That made me chuckle! I didn't know what to expect when I read this during a post-shift chill, but that has made my day!

Yes, believe it or not, there is an awful lot I haven't done. For example, 387s between Heathrow T5 and Heathrow T23, but then again I only recently paid out the full £32 for a First Class single to do them between Heathrow and Paddington. I still cannot quite believe how many people paid good money to do HX that night, it was really busy! Other examples that come to mind, well there's that one curve at Soho, Birmingham, which I believe has a PSUL working over it. I went for it once and the 323 went the direct way from Wolverhampton to Walsall. Still, it got me 323 action on that route, which I had not done as I believe my last use of that route at the time had been on a 170+153 combination!

Plenty of others no doubt in the 'I can't believe you haven't done that' category! Mind you, I've also had 40145 and 57601 on the Far North line, so that has to count for something :lol:

Liam L

I know this is slightly off topic, anything listed for the 323s?

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I know this is slightly off topic, anything listed for the 323s?
Interestingly, it shows 9 units 2/10/22.
Then 17 units 4/3/23 (flexible up to 8/5/23)

All current and future (196/730) units are listed with leasing dates and who from etc. Just financial details that are hidden from view

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Interestingly, it shows 9 units 2/10/22.
Then 17 units 4/3/23 (flexible up to 8/5/23)

All current and future (196/730) units are listed with leasing dates and who from etc. Just financial details that are hidden from view
I distantly recall the fact that 17 units are set for transfer to Northern to join their existing fleet of 323s, whilst the other 9 have not been assigned a future operator yet, which could explain the split in dates.

Liam L

I distantly recall the fact that 17 units are set for transfer to Northern to join their existing fleet of 323s, whilst the other 9 have not been assigned a future operator yet, which could explain the split in dates.
I would of thought that the 17 units for Northern would go first. Leaving the 9 with no future till last.

Still no idea on which ones are going where so will have to wait and see.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
**Mr Donnington Update (9/4/22)**

The TFW Class 197/0 that had half a unit is now a full unit (behind 196113) and WMR Class 196113 is now a 4 car unit.

196105 was on the Salop today on test runs. 105 will be out tomorrow and Wednesday hopefully again testing on the Salop.

196105 out again today on the Salop runs.

196105 was testing on the salop again today. It's out tomorrow as well.

I've been told that the 196s at Bletchley (009/006 and 011) will be leaving to go to Tyseley on Thursday next week.

Attachments

• IMG_7083.JPG
    IMG_7083.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Any news if 196002 has moved from Donnington RFT to Tyseley. Some has told be this afternoon and apparently has seen it at Tyseley LMD.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
So there's been an internal email suggesting train crew training has been further delayed after managers found "technical faults" on the unit they were being trained on.

No idea what the supposed issue is, but the units have gone back to fleet to be rectified. Not good news at all!

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
So there's been an internal email suggesting train crew training has been further delayed after managers found "technical faults" on the unit they were being trained on.

No idea what the supposed issue is, but the units have gone back to fleet to be rectified. Not good news at all!
This is terrible news.

Dear EMR...

Please may we have our 170s back.

Kind regards

Not for the May TT change then. Looking at September now if anything good happens. It's ridiculous now all these problems and frustrating. We should already be on these trains and 170s to EMR but again here we are...

12guard4

This is terrible news.

Dear EMR...

Kind regards

Not for the May TT change then. Looking at September now if anything good happens. It's ridiculous now all these problems and frustrating. We should already be on these trains and 170s to EMR but again here we are...
There was never any chance of them being introduced in May. WMT want them in for December timetable

QSK19

This is terrible news.

Dear EMR...

Kind regards

Dear WMR,

No, get those 153s out of storage and run those to supplement your services.

If, however, the DfT allows us to place an order for brand new FLIRTS to replace our entire Regional fleet (which would probably enter service before your CAF 196s do!), you can have our 170s. You can have our 158s too if you’re really worried about having sufficient rolling stock.

Lots of love,
EMR

WMR then gets a letter from the DfT…

Dear WMR,

Further to our becoming aware of correspondence between yourselves and EMR over the 170/5s, we would be happy to require EMR to return all of them to you. We love seeing the misery within their Regional operations; and given they they have so many cancelled and short-formed services anyway, we might as well relieve them of a few more trains - the situation is that bad anyway that removing some more trains isn’t going to make too much of a difference.

You can expect EMR to return your 170s by the end of next week.

Kind regards,
DfT

:lol:

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Dear WMR,

No, get those 153s out of storage and run those to supplement your services.

If, however, the DfT allows us to place an order for brand new FLIRTS to replace our entire Regional fleet (which would probably enter service before your CAF 196s do!), you can have our 170s. You can have our 158s too if you’re really worried about having sufficient rolling stock.

Lots of love,
EMR

WMR then gets a letter from the DfT…

Dear WMR,

Further to our becoming aware of correspondence between yourselves and EMR over the 170/5s, we would be happy to require EMR to return all of them to you. We love seeing the misery within their Regional operations; and given they they have so many cancelled and short-formed services anyway, we might as well relieve them of a few more trains - the situation is that bad anyway that removing some more trains isn’t going to make too much of a difference.

You can expect EMR to return your 170s by the end of next week.

Kind regards,
DfT

:lol:

Looking at the EMR timetables it seems that other than some early morning and late evening services all Crewe-Newark Castle services will be withdrawn and replaced by the hourly West Midlands Rail services from Birmingham to Crewe via Stoke-on-Trent.

There also doesn't yet seem to be a return yet to the hourly services between Newark Castle and Crewe.
I think the sad thing is that despite the much maligned Regional operation it seems likely that in actual fact EMR Regional, excepting the 158s retained, will actually end up with more 170s than originally planned. It'll just take time for them to appear.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It was certainly their intention to get them out by end of May at crew training was due to be completed by then. Why would they do training now and not use them until December? Crew would be out of competency by then.

43102EMR

Established Member
Didn't all the 153s go to TfW and are WMR drivers still signed for them?
They were meant to, but failed en route so TfW received some more ex-EMR units. They were then sent to storage at Burton and Long Marston - pretty sure one or two have been scrapped as well?

D6975

Established Member
I would of thought that the 17 units for Northern would go first. Leaving the 9 with no future till last.

Still no idea on which ones are going where so will have to wait and see.
02,03,05-13,17-19, 41-3 going to Northern