• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Trainee Senior Conductors - Multiple Locations (26/10/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeEcco

West Midlands are recruiting for trainee senior conductors.

Can anyone advise me on all the basics to this job at Wolverhampton; such as how many days each week, the shift patterns, rosters and routes etc.

Thank you.

Coventry Talent Pool - https://apply.abellio.com/vacancies/7491/trainee_senior_conductor_coventry_talent_pool_2022/?d=5

Northampton / Bletchley Talent Pool - https://apply.abellio.com/vacancies...or_northamptonbletchley_talent_pool_2022/?d=5

Wolverhampton Talent Pool - https://apply.abellio.com/vacancies...conductor_wolverhampton_talent_pool_2022/?d=5

Worcester Talent Pool - https://apply.abellio.com/vacancies/7170/trainee_senior_conductor_worcester_talent_pool_2022/?d=5

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12guard4

4 days, week of earlies week of lates, long weekend every 3 weeks.
Routes are
Wsl/Wvh
Xcity
Rugeley
Shrewsbury
Liverpool

Established Member
Week 1-2-3 old BR roster common at several TOCs... 5-day weekend every three weeks.

MOTUoffoffFRSAx
MOTUWETHoffoffoff
offoffWETHFRSAx
& back to week 1.

Excellent for planning your time off and doing swaps, finding someone on the same rest days but opposite line of work to go for permanent earlies or lates.

You can work out where you will be months ahead, ideal for planning weekends away, hols, footie etc.

x - Sundays. At WM, for new starters, Sundays are mandatory, but if you don't want to work them, covered if there are enough volunteers.

JoeEcco

Thank you all that is great.
Do you have any info regarding earliest book in and latest book off for Wolverhampton?
Also what T&Cs do they have such as Rest Day Payments, Sunday pay etc. etc.

Now TFW are recruiting for Shrewsbury - is that very similar with 4 day week and rosters etc.

Thanks a lot all.

4 days, week of earlies week of lates, long weekend every 3 weeks.
Routes are
Wsl/Wvh
Xcity
Rugeley
Shrewsbury
Liverpool

Week 1-2-3 old BR roster common at several TOCs... 5-day weekend every three weeks.

MOTUoffoffFRSAx
MOTUWETHoffoffoff
offoffWETHFRSAx
& back to week 1.

Excellent for planning your time off and doing swaps, finding someone on the same rest days but opposite line of work to go for permanent earlies or lates.

You can work out where you will be months ahead, ideal for planning weekends away, hols, footie etc.

x - Sundays. At WM, for new starters, Sundays are mandatory, but if you don't want to work them, covered if there are enough volunteers.
Thank you both.
Do WMR pay 4 weekly or monthly.
Also, how long are you on training salary for. When do you get full pay?

Last edited:

Established Member
4 weekly so 13 pay packets a year. There are still those staff who tell the missus they are paid monthly to hide the 13th from them.

Training salary 12 months at -25% / £25k ish until full wage (for WMT ex Central Guards). Different conditions apply at Northampton Bletchley & Watford ex Silverlink depots - full wage when qualified after 10 weeks ish)

Sunday's are usually good money.

Last edited:

G_for_Gnome

Mon-Sat Wolverhampton earliest book on Mon-Sat is around 0430am, latest book off between 0100 and 0130am

Sundays 0715 earliest book on / 0100 book off but depends on engineering work.

Sundays - unless it is your long weekend or your switch from late week to early week, you are likely to have a rostered Sunday. You are committed to these and there aren’t always enough volunteers to cover it, if you desperately need to get out of doing one.

Traction and routes, for now at least..

New St to Shrewsbury

Cross City

Wolves to Walsall via New St, New St to Rugeley,
New St to Birmingham Int’l,
New St to Liverpool

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Mon-Sat Wolverhampton earliest book on Mon-Sat is around 0430am, latest book off between 0100 and 0130am

Sundays 0715 earliest book on / 0100 book off but depends on engineering work.

Sundays - unless it is your long weekend or your switch from late week to early week, you are likely to have a rostered Sunday. You are committed to these and there aren’t always enough volunteers to cover it, if you desperately need to get out of doing one.

Traction and routes, for now at least..

New St to Shrewsbury

Cross City

Wolves to Walsall via New St, New St to Rugeley,
New St to Birmingham Int’l,
New St to Liverpool

I've since added this to this thread as Wolverhampton was missing so thanks for the information!

JoeEcco

4 weekly so 13 pay packets a year. There are still those staff who tell the missus they are paid monthly to hide the 13th from them.

Training salary 12 months at -25% / £25k ish until full wage (for WMT ex Central Guards). Different conditions apply at Northampton Bletchley & Watford ex Silverlink depots - full wage when qualified after 10 weeks ish)

Sunday's are usually good money.
Thank you. 12 months is much longer than I thought given the training period is less.

craigybagel

Established Member
Now TFW are recruiting for Shrewsbury - is that very similar with 4 day week and rosters etc.
Similar set up with TFW in terms of 4 day week and rosters. Higher basic salary and it's only 6 months rather than a year before you get the full whack. Also there's arguably less chance of DOO coming in at TFW than at WMR.

JoeEcco

Similar set up with TFW in terms of 4 day week and rosters. Higher basic salary and it's only 6 months rather than a year before you get the full whack. Also there's arguably less chance of DOO coming in at TFW than at WMR.
Thank you mate.
What is the full salary for TFW do you know?
min your opinion, which would you prefer and why?
i Live in Wolves so WMR easier commute wise but open to hear about other pros and cons.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thank you mate.
What is the full salary for TFW do you know?
min your opinion, which would you prefer and why?
i Live in Wolves so WMR easier commute wise but open to hear about other pros and cons.
Full salary is ~ £35000 at TfW.

I don't think it would be fair for me to compare the two TOCs too much since I've only ever worked for one of them, but TfW Shrewsbury is one of the best depots to be a guard at anywhere in the country IMO. Varied and often scenic route card, pretty decent T&C's, a good deal of job security, and the shifts aren't too bad either.

That said, commuting and shift work never make for great company. I don't know if WMR provide staff parking at Wolves but TfW no longer provide it for new starters at Shrewsbury (there's a Pay and Display near by that I think offers season tickets that people have been using instead). And you're earliest start would be around 04:30 and latest finish after 01:00 so you'd be making that drive quite a bit. Though there are several guards and drivers there who live in Wolves and the Black Country and they seem to cope ok.

One thing I can say from experience - apply for both jobs and see what happens. Either job is better than neither!

JoeEcco

Full salary is ~ £35000 at TfW.

I don't think it would be fair for me to compare the two TOCs too much since I've only ever worked for one of them, but TfW Shrewsbury is one of the best depots to be a guard at anywhere in the country IMO. Varied and often scenic route card, pretty decent T&C's, a good deal of job security, and the shifts aren't too bad either.

That said, commuting and shift work never make for great company. I don't know if WMR provide staff parking at Wolves but TfW no longer provide it for new starters at Shrewsbury (there's a Pay and Display near by that I think offers season tickets that people have been using instead). And you're earliest start would be around 04:30 and latest finish after 01:00 so you'd be making that drive quite a bit. Though there are several guards and drivers there who live in Wolves and the Black Country and they seem to cope ok.

One thing I can say from experience - apply for both jobs and see what happens. Either job is better than neither!
That’s really kind of you. Thanks a lot for that insight

craigybagel

Established Member
That’s really kind of you. Thanks a lot for that insight
No problem.
Considering the ample amount of car park space next to 7B junction & space to expand it, that's quite unfair, imo.
It's a difficult one. The yard belongs to WMR and as their depot has also been expanding over the last few years they've needed the space for their own. Existing TfW were allowed to keep parking there, it's just the ones who joined after a certain point who are not eligible. Free staff parking isn't included in TfW contacts and there are several depots where it's not provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.