• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMTrains livery and station branding

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Any chance we could merge the two threads together and rename one? There's quite a lot of overlap.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
I thought it was a 2019 introduction date. Sooner the better tbh. The 153's are "tired" and the 150's are needed elsewhere

Oh, apologies, I thought you were deriding the company in some way. December 2018 is the plan for introducing the three 230/2s.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh, apologies, I thought you were deriding the company in some way. December 2018 is the plan for introducing the three 230/2s.

I am no fan of the up cycling idea but accept we aren't going to get better. I am prepared to offer the benefit of the doubt at this stage. Plus if it is possible to outbase 3 units at Bletchley service resilience should be improved massively.

If we can stop cancellations on the Vale LM NEWCO can paint the units any colour they like. May i suggest WW1 battleship "dazzle" livery? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Wow, they're doing much better than SWR!
WMTrains Livery Updates:

Class 139:

001: LM livery

002: LM livery

Class 150:

105: LM livery

107: LM livery

109: LM livery

Class 153:

334: LM livery

354: LM livery

356: LM livery

364: LM livery

365: LM livery

366: LM livery

371: LM livery

375: LM livery

Class 170:

501: LM livery

502: LM livery

503: LM livery

504: LM livery

505: LM livery

506: LM livery

507: LM livery

508: LM livery

509: LM livery

510: LM livery

511: LM livery

512: LM livery

513: LM livery

514: LM livery

515: LM livery

516: LM livery

517: LM livery

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Any chance we could merge the two threads together and rename one? There's quite a lot of overlap.

This is a thread created to discuss specifically the WM Livery updates - the other one is pretty much everything about the new franchise! ;)

A clear example is the GWR livery thread. If you want to find livery status you can quickly and easily find it! If you have to rummage through the current WM Franchise thread it is a pain. Just like when the 800s were introduced as well as being a main thread there was also an extra thread on diagrams. :smile:

Therefore I personally would like to keep this thread separate as it is easier to find the specific information people may want on the livery updates.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Agreed. Personally, I would say *anything* that there can be three of (even 142s) would be better than two 15x.

Not all 15x units! Are you saying a six car triple 142 is better than a six car double 159? Something tells me you’ll be disagreed with there...

Domh245

Established Member
Not all 15x units! Are you saying a six car triple 142 is better than a six car double 159? Something tells me you’ll be disagreed with there...

I think the point @Bletchleyite is making is that 2 units is by far and away insufficient for the Vale. 3 units (even if they are pacers) are preferable to 2 units.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think the point @Bletchleyite is making is that 2 units is by far and away insufficient for the Vale. 3 units (even if they are pacers) are preferable to 2 units.

I know and the point I’m making is that two 159 units which have three cars make up the same as three pacer units which have two cars - plus they are much nicer inside!

Domh245

Established Member
I know and the point I’m making is that two 159 units which have three cars make up the same as three pacer units which have two cars - plus they are much nicer inside!
Yes, but that's completely irrelevant, as that is one train, when what the Vale needs is (at least) three trains to provide some resilience and additional capacity. It's like saying that you'd rather have triple length voyagers on every XC service, but as a result you can only run a third of the trains.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, but that's completely irrelevant, as that is one train, when what the Vale needs is (at least) three trains to provide some resilience and additional capacity. It's like saying that you'd rather have triple length voyagers on every XC service, but as a result you can only run a third of the trains.

Oh sorry. You mean a higher frequency don’t you!

Nevertheless though this topic is to discuss the WM Livery! ;)

D365

Veteran Member
Oh sorry. You mean a higher frequency don’t you!

No, having three units allocated exclusively to the Marston Vale and based at Bletchley will make the line a lot more resilient. The service is not changing until after EWR.

I brought up the 230s originally as I noted you had not mentioned them at all.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
This thread is to discuss specifically the WM Livery updates not the new franchise in general! ;)

A clear example is the GWR livery thread. If you want to find livery status you can quickly and easily find it! If you have to rummage through the current WM Franchise thread it is a pain. Just like when the 800s were introduced as well as being a main thread there was also an extra thread on diagrams. :smile:

Therefore I personally would like to keep this thread separate as it is easier to find the specific information people may want on the livery updates.
As I said, just a suggestion. Can I suggest you put the list on your OP then?

sd0733

Established Member
It'll be interesting how a yellow panel is managed on the gangway less 172/0s when they arrive from LO. I guess they'll have to have something but a yellow block up the middle of the front would look terrible

On Moderation
This thread is to discuss specifically the WM Livery updates not the new franchise in general! ;)

You might have more credibility if you followed your own advice.

In the very next post after this you disregard it.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

sprinterguy

Established Member
It'll be interesting how a yellow panel is managed on the gangway less 172/0s when they arrive from LO. I guess they'll have to have something but a yellow block up the middle of the front would look terrible
You'd hope that they'd retain the typical yellow Turbostar "bib" below the cab windscreens, although the treatment of the yellow ends on the released images doesn't suggest that any thought has gone into incorporating the yellow panel into the livery as a whole.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
You'd hope that they'd retain the typical yellow Turbostar "bib" below the cab windscreens, although the treatment of the yellow ends on the released images doesn't suggest that any thought has gone into incorporating the yellow panel into the livery as a whole.
Hmm I was thinking this too.. it’s an issue for all stock that doesn’t have a gangway so the 170s, 150s, 323s, 319s and even the people mover will have an issue with this. My prediction is that the yellow will be increased after the initial livery has been reviewed or once they realise that it doesn’t really work with all the different types.

Domh245

Established Member
Hmm I was thinking this too.. it’s an issue for all stock that doesn’t have a gangway so the 170s, 150s, 323s, 319s and even the people mover will have an issue with this. My prediction is that the yellow will be increased after the initial livery has been reviewed or once they realise that it doesn’t really work with all the different types.

Seeing as all of those aren't due to stay with the franchise longer term, it's not an issue, they'll just be given some stickers over the LM branding and left to see out their days. That only leaves the 172/0s and the 230s to have a yellow patch applied, although the 230s do have a flat portion to their front which could easily be used instead (or alternatively, left unyellowed as they should meet the latest requirements)

DanNCL

Established Member
Seeing as all of those aren't due to stay with the franchise longer term, it's not an issue, they'll just be given some stickers over the LM branding and left to see out their days. That only leaves the 172/0s and the 230s to have a yellow patch applied, although the 230s do have a flat portion to their front which could easily be used instead (or alternatively, left unyellowed as they should meet the latest requirements)
The 139s aren't being replaced

Domh245

Established Member
The 139s aren't being replaced

Good point, had missed out that they'd been mentioned as I'd scanned for numbers, not names. But I suppose that for those you would just draw two lines down from the central windshield and define that as the "gangway door" - you can do the same sort of thing with the 150s.

DanNCL

Established Member
Good point, had missed out that they'd been mentioned as I'd scanned for numbers, not names. But I suppose that for those you would just draw two lines down from the central windshield and define that as the "gangway door" - you can do the same sort of thing with the 150s.
Certainly could do that on a 139 or 150; though it would look really awful

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

What do you mean anyway?

Domh245

Established Member
What do you mean anyway?

If you had to try and shoehorn either of the WMTrains liveries (a key feature of which being the fully coloured front with only the gangway door painted yellow) onto a class 139, you could use the central windscreen to define that yellow patch, the gist of which is shown by this quick and dirty mockup. That said, it's moved on a fair way from 172/0s which prompted the discussion (for which the technique I've described would be more difficult, given the lack of a single, central, windscreen)

nt3ZEd3.png