• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to London Euston - ticket to London Terminals valid despite saying not valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
This is not authoritative (even if it claims to be ;))

The IDMS (an industry standard) data also claims (or claimed, last time I checked) that Richmond to London isn't valid into London Euston, which has longstanding validity. There are other examples.
The ticketing system is such a mess that ticket validity can't be authoritatively answered as a yes / no question.

I will make a copy of an itinerary from the NRE if I use unorthodox routings (mostly because I want to have a break of journey en-route) to support my travelling in case of ticket checks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Woking is "from the south", thus valid to Blackfriars and City Thameslink.
Despite some people may claim Waterloo - Waterloo East - London Bridge - Blackfriars may be the most direct route, the Denmark Hill one seems to be the most direct option (without incurring out of station interchange)
NRE will certainly allow Elephant and Castle that way.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Richmond - Waterloo is around 9.5 miles and Richmond - Willesden Junction - Euston is around 15 miles iirc.
It's 15 miles if you use the railmiles engine and don't notice that it's routed you via Barnes and the Kew Junctions. Another engine (using NRT data) suggests that it's 11 miles.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's 15 miles if you use the railmiles engine and don't notice that it's routed you via Barnes and the Kew Junctions. Another engine (using NRT data) suggests that it's 11 miles.
Yes sure. TRUST suggests it's 5.67+5.43 so just over 11 miles. Richmond has two different Tiploc codes which is easy to overlook.

But mileage isn't what most people will use to decide whether it is a sensible journey to make, so the journey time analysis still stands, but it does potentially complicate the case that it now brings it within 3 miles of the shortest route. All my other observations regarding potential hassle, etc, remains the same, especially for a ticketing novice.

And the point about not rocking the boat too much or making too much noise about it still stands as well.

Andrew1395

They were going to solve that by creating a set of destinations to use instead of London Terminals, e.g. "London Vic/Waterloo" but this never happened, I wonder why?

Back in the day it would have been "London SR", i.e. Southern Region stations only (so not Euston), would it not?

Pre computerisation of fare setting and settlement and fulfilment printing by INTIS and APTIS, the destination would say London (Euston) or whatever terminal was appropriate. In the mid 1980s with the introduction of computerised retailing it became London BR. Which also confused customers. Many a customer thought it meant London Bridge or meant London including any zone 1 tube destination.

063A4F17-7A6D-4BDB-9258-47B51EAF4703.jpeg

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes sure. TRUST suggests it's 5.67+5.43 so just over 11 miles. Richmond has two different Tiploc codes which is easy to overlook.

But mileage isn't what most people will use to decide whether it is a sensible journey to make, so the journey time analysis still stands, but it does potentially complicate the case that it now brings it within 3 miles of the shortest route. All my other observations regarding potential hassle, etc, remains the same, especially for a ticketing novice.

And the point about not rocking the boat too much or making too much noise about it still stands as well.
Is it possible to not rock the boat and travel that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.