• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wolverhampton operating incident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schenker

I just came across this on the service disruptions, just out curiosity I was wondering if anyone had any more information on this disruption and what exactly would an "operating incident" involve?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.html#sabb5f231a124d6fad346675fb4c5dd4

Latest travel news
Alterations between Birmingham New Street and Shrewsbury for the rest of today

Description
An operating incident has occurred in the Wolverhampton area.
Because of this, the following alterations will apply for the rest of today:
Virgin Trains
The following trains have been cancelled:
13:30 Birmingham New Street to London Euston
13:38 London Euston to Birmingham New Street
14:15 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly
15:15 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly
15:30 Birmingham New Street to London Euston
17:15 Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston
18:15 Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston
Arriva Trains Wales
Trains are being diverted via Crewe
A bus service will run between Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Derailment @ Oxley. trapping some pendos inside the depot.

As posted on WNXX earlier.

schenker

Whops sorry I missed the earlier post, If a moderator could delete this what ever needs to be done, Thanks David.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
No - I believe that WNXX is a different site (as what I can see from a Google Search)!

This is the first I have seen about this on here!

schenker

No - I believe that WNXX is a different site (as what I can see from a Google Search)!

This is the first I have seen about this on here!

Oh my mistake, Long weekend I must try to pay more attention :lol:

I guess it was a low speed derailment with minimal damage?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Points moved whilst the Pendo was going over it, a bit like what happened at Wembley a while back. Has done some fairly substantial damage, the Pendo will be out of action for a while and it took out an OLE support too.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Suppose that'll mean all of the loco-hauled freaks will be happy if the 90+Mk3+DVT set gets utilised a lot more on the EUS-BHM route to replace it :D

38Cto15E

Fraid I'm an old fashioned loco geek who has yet to ride the WB64 set, any news if the WB64 is scheduled for any services?:lol:

Geezertronic

Established Member
It's been posted quite a bit about in recent threads. Currently doing some of the xx:03 EUS-BHM services that it usually does when it replaces a Pendo (that is probably EUS-GLC bound).

mr_moo

Just a small derailment... :)
I'm told there is little or no interlocking here. Why the signaler changed the points under a train, who knows, but that looks like what happened.

This will presumably be investigated by the RAIB, although I've not seen any report of it on their website yet.

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• IMG00082.jpg
    IMG00082.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG00083.jpg
    IMG00083.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG00084.jpg
    IMG00084.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG00085.jpg
    IMG00085.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG00086.jpg
    IMG00086.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG00087.jpg
    IMG00087.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG00088.jpg
    IMG00088.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG00089.jpg
    IMG00089.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG00090.jpg
    IMG00090.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 77

the sniper

Established Member
Thanks for those Mr Moo, just shows how costly small mistakes can be on the railway!

I really do feel sorry for the signaller, it must be gutting when something like this happens under your watch.

TDK

Established Member
Thanks for those Mr Moo, just shows how costly small mistakes can be on the railway!

I really do feel sorry for the signaller, it must be gutting when something like this happens under your watch.

Not only gutting but I would say catastrophioc for the signaller if it was the blame of the signaller

The talk at work is of making 390004 into a eight car set whilst repairs take place to the 688 vehicle which was the most badly damaged.

Incidentally, there is at least one set of box worked points which are not interlocked, we used to do what was called a 'short shunt' behind them where we would stop behind the points in question instead of going behind the controlling ground signal, whistle up to the box, the points would move over and we carried on with the shunt. A couple of years ago the Driver Management banned the practice because of it's unsafe nature.

With the whole depot getting ready for the re signaling which is due to take place later this year, where Oxley box disappears and control transfers to West Midlands at Saltley, incidents of the nature of this derailment should no longer happen.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Apparently it's coach E that has taken the worst of the damage and the unit will be back soon as a short formed 8 car set until the repairs are completed.

That should be interesting in the peak...

Edited to add: Snap! Cross-posting!:lol:

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
Would they restrict the 8 car set to just EUS-BHM then or is there a particular route where they could get away with it?

Maintenance exams are mileage based and a lot of set swapping goes on at Euston so as to squeeze every last mile out of a set before the exam.

Also certain exams are only done at certain depots therefore it could quite conceivably finish the day at Polmadie as it could at Oxley or Wembley.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have quite often, when travelling out of Euston to Birmingham in the peak, found the 9 car sets so packed that the crews were unofficially declassifying coach G, so I'm not sure unless they have a diagram they could use the keep 004 "reverse flow" during the busy periods.

Even that wouldn't be foolproof; if they have to go into "stepping up" mode you can bet someone would overlook which one it is and send it out on a peak flow to Liverpool or Manchester...

I don't know why 390s have so many first class carriages anyway - I've never been on one where the first class has been more than about 30% full, so maybe they should re-fit all the coach Gs as standard class and re-letter them F. ( Or is "F" the letter for the forthcoming 10th cars? ).

unofficially declassifying coach G

There is nothing "unofficial" about it, train managers have the authority to declassify. Simply any first class passengers in the vehicle are asked to move to another first class vehicle and the head rest covers and cups / plates etc are removed.

As for "F" being for the tenth vehicle what do you suggest we call the 11th vehicle which will also be standard class ?

Geezertronic

Established Member
As for "F" being for the tenth vehicle what do you suggest we call the 11th vehicle which will also be standard class ?

Presumably it depends on where they add both new coaches to the set? I assume they won't want to use the letter "I" so it is concievable that the First Class coaches G, H , J & K may be re-lettered?

Pumbaa

Established Member
I don't know why 390s have so many first class carriages anyway - I've never been on one where the first class has been more than about 30% full, so maybe they should re-fit all the coach Gs as standard class and re-letter them F. ( Or is "F" the letter for the forthcoming 10th cars? ).

Err, and the 11th!

31 sets will be lengthened to 11-cars, the remaining 21 will stay as 9-car. With the new 4 11-car sets arriving too, it gives 35 11-cars and 21 9-cars. Stupid or what! The new coaches are standard, although one may be a composite standard/first, so that would be Standard A - G, and I'd be surprised if they run with HJKL; I'd have thought JKLM more likely. If the second extra trailer is a composite, that'd be the H coach if anything.

Hopefully they won't run with the composite idea - they'll keep the two new cars to unreserved standard so when the inevitable happens, and a 9 car turns up to cover an 11-car, nothing goes belly up.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't know why 390s have so many first class carriages anyway - I've never been on one where the first class has been more than about 30% full, so maybe they should re-fit all the coach Gs as standard class and re-letter them F.

FC frequently gets very full going to Liv with only 1tph and Manchester as well during the evening peaks.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
31 sets will be lengthened to 11-cars, the remaining 21 will stay as 9-car. With the new 4 11-car sets arriving too, it gives 35 11-cars and 21 9-cars. Stupid or what!

Yes - with that number of new vehicles I'd have arranged them as 14 with 11 cars and all the rest as 10 cars... And I'd have tried harder to overturn the decision to not make them all up to 11 cars.

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
The way I interpreted the DfT documentation was that the 4 extra sets could arrive in 9 car formations and then increased to 11 cars??

New 9-Cars means the 4 x new 9-car Pendolino trains to be procured as part of the Project.
New Train Additional Cars means the 8 x new additional cars which will be procured as part of the Project and used to extend the New 9-Cars to form 4 x new 11-car Pendolino trains (each an Extended New Train).

http://webarchive.nationalarchives..../rail/pi/pendolinolengthening/tender/main.pdf
Page 5

I agree that it could lead to a nightmare not only for the passengers but for Virgin Control during times of normal service and delay.

BlythPower

Virgin (probably) won't have have to worry. I've read somewhere that the new vehicles and units won't come into service until the new WC franchise starts. I believe Virgin have won the contract to project manage their introduction tho...

dk1

Veteran Member
Looking at picture 8 it seems they are hand points. The shunting signal would apply to all lines that pass through those points & only that & not the pointwork would be connected to the box.

MCR247

Established Member
Wouldn't it be logical for VT to have 2/3 of G Standard and 1/3 First?

Status
Not open for further replies.