• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Working your way up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshall91

I am currently contemplating applying for a train cleaner position with the thought process of moving onto conductor or maybe driver, im just wondering if anyone has any experience of moving up in the rail industry as I would be taking a big pay cut to do this. Any answers will be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Twotwo

What experience do you have? A lot of train drivers are external candidates with different experience such as working in a office, retail assistant, coffee shops etc.

If you wanted to work your way up I'd recommend to apply for platform or guard as this is safety critical and you will come across a lot of situations that you will be able to use for your driver application/interview.

I used to work as a gateline assistant for a year then worked as a platform staff for 2 years and now I'm a shunter driver. I had lots of great examples to use for my MMI and driver manager from my platform experience.

Twotwo

The only benefit for being internal is such companies like swr you are apply to apply internally after 6 months even if the vacancy isn't live.

Marshall91

What experience do you have? A lot of train drivers are external candidates with different experience such as working in a office, retail assistant, coffee shops etc.

If you wanted to work your way up I'd recommend to apply for platform or guard as this is safety critical and you will come across a lot of situations that you will be able to use for your driver application/interview.

I used to work as a gateline assistant for a year then worked as a platform staff for 2 years and now I'm a shunter driver. I had lots of great examples to use for my MMI and driver manager from my platform experience.
I have previously worked with royal mail as a postman and other customer facing delivery roles, I currently work in the drainage industry driving a hgv tanker with high pressure jetting equipment which is very safety critical. Im not saying I would get any of the jobs I apply for as im sure there are lots of fantastic candidates and thousands to choose from, it's just I have been knocked back for driver and conductor roles and was thinking of trying another approach.

whoosh

Established Member
At my TOC there is a person who started as a carriage cleaner, became a cleaning supervisor, a trainee driver - then I think it was three years after qualifying went on to become a driver instructor, and is now a Driver Manager.
So yes, you can certainly climb the ladder if you want to and have the aptitude for it.

Efini92

Established Member
I am currently contemplating applying for a train cleaner position with the thought process of moving onto conductor or maybe driver, im just wondering if anyone has any experience of moving up in the rail industry as I would be taking a big pay cut to do this. Any answers will be appreciated.
I started as a guard before moving into the driving grade. There’s plenty that started as cleaners that are now drivers/management grade. if you have the drive you’ll get what you want. Working for the company will give you an insight into how things operate locally. Being a guard first is advantageous as you will have underpinning knowledge of rules, routes and traction.

387star

On Moderation
Hi I started cleaning stations at night and in four years was a trainee driver having spent a short time inbetween as a Guard

craigybagel

Established Member
Is the role directly employed by the train company, or as is often the case with cleaners is it for an external company supplying cleaners? (Often on much poorer conditions then if they were directly employed). If the latter, I'm not sure how useful it be for onward progression.

Also, whilst not wanting to denigrate the great job done by our cleaners, I see no reason with your background why you couldn't apply for jobs traditionally considered to be further up the chain, like conductor or station staff, if you don't feel ready yet to apply for a drivers job?

For the record, I worked up from catering staff to platforms to guard to driver, something I'm rather proud of, but there were still more external trainees completely new to the railway on my driver's course then internal (in fact there were on all 4 training courses I've done for each role) so whilst being internal can help, and it will definitely help supply you with lots of useful experience that you can mention in job applications, it's by no means a requirement.

Red1980

Depends on how ambitious you are I suppose. I mean do you want to work your way up because it's a pride thing? Or do you not see yourself ready to apply to be a guard or driver at this point in time so want to gain experience to aid you?

There's definitely no harm in working your way through the grades to eventually wind up in guard and driver positions. The more experience and people in the right positions you can get to know the better.

It's also worth noting that working alongside those grades can be invaluable..... working with them and seeing the roles close up can certainly hit home and you may decide that one or even both may not be for you.....or it could work the opposite and make you want to apply sooner.

DA1

Someone at a depot I know used to work for an external company as a train cleaner and now he’s a shunter driver at the same depot.

jamesst

I started as a barrier assistant on the stations, then station night supervisor, guard and now driver. It is possible, I'd go for it!
Just a bit of a warning, it may not happen as quickly as you hope or expect.

AgentGemini

"Guard will put you in good steed to become a driver".

Mixed. Depends which TOC. One TOC has become infamous for taking on outside-industry and shafting its guards grade massively regarding promotions. Then again, they've been turning the screw on the conductor grade since they took over and it was and is just one more method to make Guards more uncomfortable in the company.

Marshall91

"Guard will put you in good steed to become a driver".

Mixed. Depends which TOC. One TOC has become infamous for taking on outside-industry and shafting its guards grade massively regarding promotions. Then again, they've been turning the screw on the conductor grade since they took over and it was and is just one more method to make Guards more uncomfortable in the company.
Any hints on this toc? I understand if you don't want to name directly.

TheVicLine

Working your way up is easy, but you obviously have to have the skills to be able to do the job. Just because you are starting with a position that you are able to perform does not mean 100% that you would be able to drive a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.