• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Post Privatisation operator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Whenever I read a rail company twitter I come across people tweeting to the rail company on why they are the "worst operator" known to mankind and can't run train because of reasons such as:

Northern Rail: State of rolling stock.
East Midlands Trains: Lack of stock and lack of Lincs services.
First Transpennie Express: Overpriced waste of space.
CrossCountry: Delays and short trains compared to pre-voyager stock.
Virgin Trains: Small cramped carriages compared to other stock.

While many of these problems are frustrating most of the time they are not the fault of the rail company where things like with rolling stock the Government allocates the stock not the operator or with CrossCountry the Express Mainlines in this country were built to go from London outwards rather than Cross Country so delays are inevitable.

It made me think though what has been genuinely the worst operator post Privatisation where the rail company should have done better rather than the government. The four I came up with are:

Connex South Eastern: Had its franchise revoked for poor management which is a major embarrassment and shouldn't of ever happened.

Connex South Central: Same as the South Eastern as well as a reputation for not maintaining its trains and delays meaning its franchise was terminated.

GNER: Not so much a bad operator but badly thought out its finances causing it to have to surrender its franchise as well as strange dealings with its Sea Containers Parent causing it to surrender its franchise.

National Express East Coast: Was a failure right from the start, National Express bid far too much for their franchise causing major losses and National Express's reputation being ruined.

Can anyone suggest any more based on things the rail company could done better rather than the government?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Connex. Made my life hell for 5 years as a commuter.

This, Connex have to take the life time achievement award for worst TOC ever. They make FCC looked like they did a half decent job, am I right in thinking they are still the only operator to be formally stripped of a franchise because of their performance?

asylumxl

Established Member
Connex is up there for sure. Probably the worst.
The original Thameslink franchise was pretty poor to be honest and Govia haven't got off to a good start with this one either.

chubs

Connex SE was awful, although I luckily only had to endure it for a year before they were stripped of the franchise. The 375's introduction really helped too.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I don't know about Connex but in my area:

Northern to Barton is infrequent and more costly than the more comfy and frequent bus.
Northern to Sheffield only run 3 times a day on Saturday. The rolling stock in my opinion is less important than the frequency.

East Midlands Trains to Newark has chronic overcrowding and need an extra car. Also times are not clockface. And this operator is the worst run considering the abillities they have.

Trans Pennine Express's severe overcrowding problems have been eased a little since 2car 170s now usually run in pairs. The main problem is the extreme slow speed which bores passengers to death.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suraggu

GNER were forced to hand back the franchise as Sea Containers were in dire financial difficulties, not GNER.
Actually GNER is thought to have been the best privatised operator since the start of privatisation.

pemma

Veteran Member
Around 10 years ago Arriva, First, National Express and Connex were all pretty much as bad as each other. First have probably improved the most, thanks to them being allowed to keep the Great Western franchise despite the mess they'd made of it and also due to jointly bidding with Kelios for TPE - which probably helped them beat Connex and Arriva to being awarded the franchise. Connex being stripped of the franchises they were awarded and not being awarded any new franchises has probably given them the reputation of worst rail operator.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
GNER were forced to hand back the franchise as Sea Containers were in dire financial difficulties, not GNER.
Actually GNER is thought to have been the best privatised operator since the start of privatisation.

GNER did operate services as traditional Intercity services whereas Virgin were changing things to make them 'more modern'. One such example, GNER offering you a cup of tea from a teapot while Virgin offering you a cup of tea in a disposable plastic container.

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member
Connex is up there for sure. Probably the worst.
The original Thameslink franchise was pretty poor to be honest and Govia haven't got off to a good start with this one either.

No surprises there. Unfortunately little seems to have changed on the South & SE - Govia's South Eastern Still proving rather poor in a good range of areas despite having the 395s to play with. And as for Southern in disruption... <D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
GNER: Not so much a bad operator but badly thought out its finances causing it to have to surrender its franchise as well as strange dealings with its Sea Containers Parent causing it to surrender its franchise.
I disagree. The parent groups should say "No" when the DfT makes ridiculous payment demands that were never going to be feasible. The combination of unviable premium payments demanded by DfT and the owning group's financial woes put an end to GNER, but that was hardly the fault of GNER themselves.

Perhaps the biggest problem with GNER was that some of their Guards were very "desperate"; there's only one or two troublemakers now, the rest have either gone, or as one regular customer put it, have "mellowed".

Abpj17

GNER was lovely (used to travel up and down from London to Newcastle on Friday/Monday) - although somewhat overcrowded (but anyone is on Friday evening leaving London). I used to prefer them hugely to Virgin journeys of the same era which never managed to be on time/overcharged/train faults. [Late 90s/early 2000s]

My heart says that FCC ought to get some wooden spoon prize. But on the line - with the problems of the core/Thameslink 2000/London Bridge - it's pretty difficult to untangle what is the fault of the TOC vs. outside their control.
- I want to blame FCC for introducing delay repay rather than a %age discount, but I understand that is DfTs fault for putting it in the franchise -_-
- I feel I can credibly blame FCC for the pay disputes http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...7/First-Capital-Connect-trains-disrupted.html

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
GNER: Not so much a bad operator

Awful if not travelling First Class, IMO. Tired unrefurbished stock and an arrogance (of both management and some staff, even given that I know one of them and he's a decent guy!) only seen since in First TransPennine Express.

Central Trains was pretty awful, IMO. No diagramming skills, filthy stock, unpunctual and unreliable.

Early days VT was a bit rubbish but had a bit of a "running trains for fun" feel about it. Modern day VT is in my view pretty competent.

Neil

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You've all forgotten about MTL (ran Merseyrail and "Northern Spirit" before Arriva was induced to take them over).
Generally out of their depth as a rail operator.
It was originally the bus operator of Merseyside PTE.

North Western Trains (part of Great Western Holdings) was a shambles too.
They had big plans until they discovered a £1m "black hole" in the accounts.
First North Western wasn't much better, and basically gave up towards the end of the franchise, waiting for a better deal from the SRA.
Today's derided Northern Rail is much better.

Many of the original franchises were won by BR management buy-out teams with private financial backing (like Great Western Holdings).
They made their mint and then sold out to generally stronger owning groups.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
I disagree. The parent groups should say "No" when the DfT makes ridiculous payment demands that were never going to be feasible. The combination of unviable premium payments demanded by DfT and the owning group's financial woes put an end to GNER, but that was hardly the fault of GNER themselves.

Perhaps the biggest problem with GNER was that some of their Guards were very "desperate"; there's only one or two troublemakers now, the rest have either gone, or as one regular customer put it, have "mellowed".

I think there was something after the 7th of July bombings less people wanted to travel to London which severely affected them financially. I think I only travelled on GNER a handful of times and inside the trains were very nice after the refurbishment but the way Sea Containers operated seemed rather strange how it was from Bermuda but based in London.

Wasn't Arriva Trains Northern pretty poor?

I used them a couple of times and I think they were another Northern Rail where its a case of they were allocated old stock and had to run rural lightly used unprofitable lines although I think Northern Rail are much better than Arriva were at running the Northern franchise.

Their industrial relations were awful though with many strikes causing almost complete shut-down of the network if I remember correctly and I think they got a large fine because of it at one point.

Central Trains was pretty awful, IMO. No diagramming skills, filthy stock, unpunctual and unreliable.
Neil

Their idea of joining routes together seemed great at the time but the delays that followed weren't and the novelty of Aberystwyth to Grimsby and Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes trains soon wore off when their trains started getting delayed.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You've all forgotten about MTL (ran Merseyrail and "Northern Spirit" before Arriva was induced to take them over).

I have indeed forgotten the dark days of MTL Merseyrail, and almost-as-bad Arriva Trains Merseyside, despite having grown up with that franchise. Though Merseyrail long (even in BR days) held the "Miseryrail" tag with some justification. The mid-1990s (BR days) installation of a new design of signalling system (an abject failure) and passenger information system (also an abject failure, and eventually ripped off and replaced with a standard modern 3-line LED one) didn't help their case.

I'm not a big fan of the zero-tolerance Robocops, personally, but these days it's unrecognisable from what it was.

First North Western wasn't much better, and basically gave up towards the end of the franchise, waiting for a better deal from the SRA.

Very true. Most of the problems with Northern are because it was let as a dead-end decline management franchise, but have instead seen a period of unprecedented growth driven by things like unexpected massive fuel price increases.

TPE deserves a mention for them/the Government (bit of both) having failed to learn from VT's Voyager debacle and having ordered far too little rolling stock.

Neil

Drsatan

Established Member
South West Trains, upon taking up the South Western franchise, made a big mistake by making some drivers redundant, and not launching a recruitment drive to replace those who had left due to retirement or career change. This did mean cancellations were fairly common in the franchise's early days.

Interestingly enough, the Network SouthEast Story by Chris Green paints a more sympathetic picture of Connex SE.

paddy1

EMT worst inter city operator.

Short formed trains, mainly 4 or 5 car Meridians on off peak services out of St Pancras, resulting in serious off peak overcrowding, esp on semi fast trains to Nottingham. Skeleton service only on Sunday with one train an hour to Nottingham and Sheffield calling virtually everywhere en route and, to add insult to injury, many of these once an hours trains only formed of 5 car Meridians. One train an hour between Derby and Crewe formed mainly of a single car 153 unit. Shocking overcrowding on this route.

Absolutely appalling rail company. No shortage of rolling stock in most cases. Just too mean spirited and penny pinching to get their stock out of the sidings. Absolutely scandalous waste of scarce trains paths on MML and platform capacity at St Pancras.

LM worst commuter/regional operator

Much the same as EMT. No shortage of rolling stock, just too mean to get it out of the sidings. Frequent off peak overcrowding on Northampton line off peak trains due to 4 coaches only policy. Serious overcrowding all day on Euston to Crewe via Trent Valley services due to 4 coaches only. Never ending string of excuses for not lengthening trains on this service. Scandalous waste of scarce train paths on WCML out of Euston when it is alleged that WCML is running out of capacity - not yet it isn't. Totally undermines the case for HS2 when existing operators waste paths in this manner.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member

Sea Containers signed up to the premium payments profile. It was they who, with their 'keep it at all costs' bid for the franchise renewal in 2005, grossly overbid for the franchise, having misread the market, then failed to address the poor profitability soon enough. They weren't in any way, shape or form, hoodwinked by the DfT. They tendered for the franchise with their eyes wide open.

It was GNER's Christopher Garnett who presided over the unsustainable bid that won the franchise. He takes far more of the blame than anyone at the DfT.

Last edited:

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member

Neil

Central Trains used to run service from coast to coast that no longer exist since the franchise was split, I think my area was better of when we had trains to Birmingham and Aberystwyth. As for the filthy rolling stock, it's even older and flithier as East Midlands Trains have only got new intercity trains and the local ones like everywhere else aren't replaced until it's too late.

thenorthern

Established Member
With the stock allocated and the age of it its not the fault of the operator its more the fault of the Government for not allocating better stock, given the choice would Northern Rail continue to operate Pacers? I don't think so.

Connex were an all round bad operator though, they didn't have their financial management even though Connex had a history of operating trains abroad.

National Express East Coast was a bad operator choosing free WIFI over free seat reservations as well as bidding far too much for a franchise and National Express refusing to fund the franchise because the government wouldn't change their contract.

In my opinion though the real "baddies" in the whole NXEC thing were the Labour Party claiming that rail franchising still offered the best value for money despite earlier pledges to re-nationalise the railway and as soon as they leave office and there is the problems with Virgin Trains franchise they make calls for the government to re-nationalise the railway despite not doing so themselves when they were in office for 13 years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

As a regular user of LM south of MK I disagree strongly. They had a bad spell soon after taking over from Silverlink but have got consistently quite reasonable, and they (together with Chiltern - the common element being David Whitley) were pioneers of Twitter being used for quality and up to date passenger information and communication.

Much the same as EMT. No shortage of rolling stock, just too mean to get it out of the sidings.

That is an issue on weekends. On weekdays it is diagrammed pretty intensely.

Frequent off peak overcrowding on Northampton line off peak trains due to 4 coaches only policy. Serious overcrowding all day on Euston to Crewe via Trent Valley services due to 4 coaches only. Never ending string of excuses for not lengthening trains on this service.

These are largely valid reasons, though they are taking a bit long to resolve them. They should also IMO increase fares - the LM Only fares are so cheap I'm not surprised there is overcrowding.

Scandalous waste of scarce train paths on WCML out of Euston when it is alleged that WCML is running out of capacity - not yet it isn't. Totally undermines the case for HS2 when existing operators waste paths in this manner.

What's wasting paths? Even if they increased the Trent Valley to 12 car, that's still only 8 cars per hour added. The south WCML is pretty full - note how it is necessary to cancel 2tph of LM and 2 or 3tph of VT in the event of ending up with only 2 tracks on even a short section.

Some particularly bad commuter services need to go from 8 to 12 car, and indeed on getting some 350/3s that's the first thing they've done with them.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
National Express East Coast was a bad operator choosing free WIFI over free seat reservations

To be honest I believe all seat reservations should be chargeable, as that would concentrate peoples' minds on only making them when they actually intend to use them. At present "reserved" tends to mean "this seat may be reserved but has a very good chance of the occupier not turning up".

I would set the price at £2.

Neil

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
To be honest I believe all seat reservations should be chargeable, as that would concentrate peoples' minds on only making them when they actually intend to use them. At present "reserved" tends to mean "this seat may be reserved but has a very good chance of the occupier not turning up".

Neil

People not taking reservations is a problem I agree especially on Virgin Trains, I don't think charging is the answer though maybe make it so that you have to specifically ask for one when you book a ticket as I think many people who do reserve seats don't realise they are doing it.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Central Trains weren't great but had a largely unmanageable franchise. They also committed to several initiatives that weren't required by their franchise agreement - introducing 170s, a campaign of discounted fares, and so on.

Thames Trains, on the other hand, had what should have been a prime franchise and did precisely b*gger all. Inter-regional services (Bedwyn, Hereford, Banbury, Stratford) were frequently worked with 165s. Staff attitude at big stations stank (notoriously Oxford) which I presume was a reflection of morale. Coach travel cornered the market in London-Oxford express services... which kept Go-Ahead perfectly happy, of course, as they own one of the two coach operations.

The only innovations in Thames territory involved (F)GW, though both were short-lived - an extra Oxford-London HST and the Bristol-Oxford directs. It was a merciful release when FGWL were given the franchise and, since then, First have done much more than Thames ever did.

Established Member

The same 'EMT' who was awarded the ''Train Operator of the Year'' acolade at the recent National Rail Awards?

Short formed trains, mainly 4 or 5 car Meridians on off peak services out of St Pancras, resulting in serious off peak overcrowding, esp on semi fast trains to Nottingham. Skeleton service only on Sunday with one train an hour to Nottingham and Sheffield calling virtually everywhere en route and, to add insult to injury, many of these once an hours trains only formed of 5 car Meridians.

Whilst I agree the Sunday services are a little sparse, most are formed of 7- or 10-car Meridians, or HSTs as opposed to the 5-cars you allude to.

One train an hour between Derby and Crewe formed mainly of a single car 153 unit. Shocking overcrowding on this route.

Absolutely appalling rail company. No shortage of rolling stock in most cases.

The Derby - Crewe issue is partly due to a lack of avaliable DMUs elsewhere - most days EMT are 2 or 3 units short, and simply need more diesel rolling stock. It's the same at Northern, Abellio Greater Anglia, First Great Western, Southern, Transpennine Express etc, etc. There is a shortage of rolling stock in the country as a whole.

Just too mean spirited and penny pinching to get their stock out of the sidings. Absolutely scandalous waste of scarce trains paths on MML and platform capacity at St Pancras.

Absolutely ludicrous rant, during the recent Virgin Trains blockade at Watford, EMT ensured as many of their mainline units were in service as possible. The 5 paths an hour from St Pancras are not wasted, indeed a sixth may be added to Corby in due course, giving each of Nottingham, Sheffield and Corby 2tph.

Disagree, again, but someone else has commented on LM already.

tsr

Established Member
I would agree that Connex SE/SC felt pretty awful in terms of general commitment to running a decent train service. But I'm surprised nobody mentioned Silverlink... I just seem to remember them for safety issues causing disruption, overcrowding, the odd strike and that sort of thing, though apparently my memory is a little bit over-tarnished by this, as Wikipedia reminds me that the services they did run were apparently pretty punctual.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Are you all too young to remember the Prism franchises, or has history been kinder to them than I remember at the time?

They won franchises without any promise/requirement to improve things and ran them into the ground - I remember the state of Valley Lines before National Express bought/rescued them in 2000 - you'd think that modern day Northern were Operator Of The Year in comparison!

I don't know about Connex but in my area:

Northern to Barton is infrequent and more costly than the more comfy and frequent bus.
Northern to Sheffield only run 3 times a day on Saturday. The rolling stock in my opinion is less important than the frequency.

East Midlands Trains to Newark has chronic overcrowding and need an extra car. Also times are not clockface

The Barton branch, the Brigg line and the Grimsby - Newark services have always been infrequent (and irregular, in the case of the Newark service).

That's no reflection on EMT, they were like this under British Rail/ Arriva Trains Northern/ Central Trains etc - you might as well criticise ATW for only running four a day on the Heart of Wales line!

Whilst I appreciate the frustrations re the Newark line, it's a fairly empty part of the country where mass transport isn't going to do brilliantly.

GNER did operate services as traditional Intercity services whereas Virgin were changing things to make them 'more modern'. One such example, GNER offering you a cup of tea from a teapot while Virgin offering you a cup of tea in a disposable plastic container.

I was never a big fan of GNER, but a lot of the reasons that people liked them were the "attention to detail" things like the "tea from a teapot" that you mention.

I remember seeing the complaints when National Express downgraded the quality of the crisps on the East Coast franchise - I think that GNER had given people a very high standard when it came to minor things like this, so when a "common or garden" franchise like NXEC replaced them, it came as a shock to the cosseted GNER passengers.

(however GNER didn't introduce any new stock - unlike MM/ Virgin/ FGW - which is the kind of thing that I'm more bothered about - maybe if you can concentrate on the small stuff then people won't notice the bigger picture?)

Wasn't Arriva Trains Northern pretty poor?

They were good, compared to what they inherited (which I think is the best barometer).

The RRNE franchise had lost a lot of staff (poached by GNER who could pay them a lot more), bustitutions were a regular event (seeing the meltdown on this Forum when Northern cancel a couple of services... it'd have been pandemonium around the time of the millennium considering how bad the cancellations were at that time!)...

...Arriva steadied the ship, brought in sufficient staff, brought in the 37s for capacity on the Harrogate line, I think they did okay. Not sure why Arriva didn't get involved in the initial batch of franchises though (in fairness, First only won one initial franchise - Great Eastern)

Yeah, they were dire - for all of the complaints about the current "no growth" franchise, at least Northern have made improvements - MTL were content to preside over an ever decreasing circle of a franchise.

FNW were a dreadful franchise - much more interested in finding stock to run from Rochdale (etc) to London than dealing with the "bread and butter" of their franchise - lovely if you wanted a cheap day trip to London (with a twenty minute fag break at Tamworth due to poor pathing) but I don't think they were particularly interested in serving "Greater Lancashire".

Short formed trains, mainly 4 or 5 car Meridians on off peak services out of St Pancras, resulting in serious off peak overcrowding, esp on semi fast trains to Nottingham. Skeleton service only on Sunday with one train an hour to Nottingham and Sheffield calling virtually everywhere en route and, to add insult to injury, many of these once an hours trains only formed of 5 car Meridians

Dunno if you are old enough to remember British Rail/ Midland Mainline - but EMT are way ahead in terms of service provision now.

The 222s were bought by MM (can't blame Stagecoach for those), but EMT extended the short 222s (at the expense of reducing the nine coach ones that MM had taken on) and EMT *did* get their hands on the four Hull Trains units so that they could double the frequency to Sheffield (it was only every hour with BR/ MM - so to blame EMT for "only" running a five coach train on the second hourly path seems a bit unfair)

MM did improve things, doubling the frequency from two/hour to four/hour, but the additional services were with two coach 170s (which became three coach 170s which became four coach 222s), so still shorter than the five coach 222s that you are complaining about.

National Express East Coast: Was a failure right from the start, National Express bid far too much for their franchise causing major losses and National Express's reputation being ruined

Sea Containers signed up to the premium payments profile. It was they who, with their 'keep it at all costs' bid for the franchise renewal in 2005, grossly overbid for the franchise, having misread the market, then failed to address the poor profitability soon enough. They weren't in any way, shape or form, hoodwinked by the DfT. They tendered for the franchise with their eyes wide open.

It was GNER's Christopher Garnett who presided over the unsustainable bid that won the franchise. He takes far more of the blame than anyone at the DfT.

I don't understand why National Express are always criticised for overbidding and not predicting the biggest peacetime recession in the previous umpteen decades, yet enthusiasts excuse Sea Containers for overbidding (esp when Sea Containers didn't suffer the banking crisis and it's effect on demand).

In fairness to NX, people in 2004 (i.e. when the bids went in) weren't predicting the recession - given how big a factor economic growth (or lack of!) is on demand (and outside the control of the TOC), I think that some kind of cap/collar needs to be in place, so that things can be smoothed out

They should also IMO increase fares - the LM Only fares are so cheap I'm not surprised there is overcrowding

I find it hard to sympathise with the "LM should run eight/twelve coach trains to Crewe" argument when a significant amount of the trade north of Northampton seems to be people on bargain/advanced tickets -i.e. those not paying a great deal.

I can understand why LM are more interesting in using any additional stock south of Northampton instead.

Yeah, I agree - at the moment the large number of people buying in advance/ online means significantly more people seem to be travelling with reservations - meaning you can board an afternoon train and play "hunt the unreserved seat", only to find out that once your train is departing (i.e. all passengers boarded/ sat down) that most of the "reserved" seats are unoccupied.

There's also the phenomena of paying full price to stand on a service because many of the seats are reserved by people with much cheaper tickets!

Dunno about £2, but there definitely needs to be a tipping of the balance away from the current situation so that so many people don't reserve seats on services that they don't use. That's probably for another thread though.

northernchris

Established Member
The RRNE franchise had lost a lot of staff (poached by GNER who could pay them a lot more), bustitutions were a regular event (seeing the meltdown on this Forum when Northern cancel a couple of services... it'd have been pandemonium around the time of the millennium considering how bad the cancellations were at that time!)...

...Arriva steadied the ship, brought in sufficient staff, brought in the 37s for capacity on the Harrogate line, I think they did okay. Not sure why Arriva didn't get involved in the initial batch of franchises though (in fairness, First only won one initial franchise - Great Eastern)

Yeah, they were dire - for all of the complaints about the current "no growth" franchise, at least Northern have made improvements - MTL were content to preside over an ever decreasing circle of a franchise.

I was actually a fan of Arriva Trains Northern (and am hoping Arriva win the new Northern franchise) like you say they made improvements and by the end of their time things were in a much better position than under Northern Spirit

As for the worst operator for me it has to be East Coast by miles. Although they are better than National Express their service is way too inconsistent, many trains seem to have heating/air con faults, they are way too slack on revenue checks and their customer services make the likes of Talk Talk seem competent

Status
Not open for further replies.