• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst route(s) in UK for anti-social behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary47

A lot of the aberwystworth trains are full of students getting hammered on what are supposed to be dry trains they actually serve drink on there and train manager turns a blind eye and the noise on there is horrendous.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Depends what part of the route you mean. From South Parkway to Liverpool you will see no trouble, although perhaps you mean people leaving Birmingham for other West Midlands towns. Heading out of Liverpool there are some dry trains thanks to the agro caused by the good folk of Runcorn and other Cheshire towns. :D
I’m not aware of there being any persistent problems coming out of Birmingham on the Liverpool trains. The problem (and this is not intended to denigrate the folk of Merseyside) is at the Liverpool end of the route, which is why “special measures” have had to be introduced on the last Liverpool to Birmingham/Crewe trains on a Friday/Saturday night, as sd0733 has pointed out on the first page of this thread.

Last edited:

Llama

Established Member
Clitheroe line can get pretty bad at weekends, but I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the Stalybridge-Huddersfield line - nowhere else I have seen has a TOC had to go to such drastic measures as to absorb a 5-min delay at every station when it gets really bad, deploy security staff (at unstaffed 2-platform stations!) to stop passengers actually getting on the platform until the train has arrived and those getting off have disappeared, and also the fact that it makes the news every now and then and has appeared in documentaries.

The 'normal' weekend punters on the Huddersfield-Man Vic trains were scared off years ago and now every train is full of idiots from all over the country who travel here to abuse the railway system.

hughavinalaf

I can recently vouch for the above line......I worked a late train back to Vic last Friday and it was utter chaos......approx 20 blokes in their late 40's/early fifties acting like complete and utter dicks.Fortunately I had the assistance of 2rail response lads,which helped my cause a tad.......however,it was quite an intimidating atmosphere and very unnerving for the few 'normal' folk in the carriage. Its not for the faint of heart and i can imagine plenty confine themselves to the cab :cry:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
You can board a train in England when clearly drunk? Well; try it in the Netherlands. But when even Kim Wilde goes wild..... > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ij8BpOa-Pg

Would be interesting to know how it's done in a close neighbouring country. So what measures do NS put in place when it comes to preventing these anti-social drunken idiots from boarding their trains in the Netherlands?

GarethJohn

A lot of the aberwystworth trains are full of students getting hammered on what are supposed to be dry trains they actually serve drink on there and train manager turns a blind eye and the noise on there is horrendous.

Most Trains have students on them yes but most are to knackered to make a squeak.
Which Trains are dry? Which staff turn a blind eye? and the nosiest comes from the last train from Shrewsbury to Newtown and the most you ever get is groups of loud women eating Chips with to much Vinegar on them, nothing to be frightened of.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can board a train in England when clearly drunk? Well; try it in the Netherlands. But when even Kim Wilde goes wild..... > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ij8BpOa-Pg

That's a Class 165/6, probably on fGW judging by the pink poster. Maybe we have a higher class of drunk down south. Actually, I can't help but think we do - these stories I hear from around the Northern cities disappoint me, and while the 0010 "vomit comet" from Euston on a Saturday is similarly full of drunks, it never seems to get quite as bad as some of the stories you get from elsewhere. For instance I have *never* seen a fight on a LM train or station, and I travel at all times of day and night - though sadly staff assaults are not completely unknown.

And I'm a Northerner by birth, just very disappointed in some of my fellow Northerners.

Neil
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would be interesting to know how it's done in a close neighbouring country. So what measures do NS put in place when it comes to preventing these anti-social drunken idiots from boarding their trains in the Netherlands?

I didn't think the Dutch had quite the same issues with antisocial drinking.

Neil

Last edited:

Aldaniti

I avoid using Trans-Pennine services full stop. Capacity problems, unavailable toilets, the real ale trail, lowlife at Manchester stations on weekend evenings. There's too many reasons not to use the train these days and it's a sad state of affairs. The M62 has it's problems especially during the winter months, but even the worst of these would never persuade me to go back to using the train.

samj

Cumbrian coast line used to have its fair share of problems in the Workington area at weekends didn't it?

Bill Badger

Don't think I've ever seen bad behaviour on HS1 although I've heard about the awful behaviour from those Ebbsfleet football fans recently.

My understanding was that this was caused by Bromley hooligans AT Ebbsfleet.

umontu

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the drunks on the Blackpool South line board at Lytham - it's a popular place for the locals on a night out. But unless someone who uses that line regularly knows different I haven't heard much about it being particularly bad for anti-social behaviour.

Most of the aggro in Blackpool is late night / early hours - too late for the trains and more likely to be locals or people staying overnight (or just not going to bed). I've never seen anything other than high spirits on a Blackpool North train but I'm sure things flare up from time to time just as they do anywhere.

Very rarely do people go to Lytham for a stag party or a hen night like they do in Blackpool.
The Lytham train is usually very civilised from my experience.

I've seen a lot of agro on the Blackpool North trains, especially in the summer months. But then again I live round near by.

Don't think anyone's mentioned (Edit: Just looked and saw someone had) the real ale trains around West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester. Weren't they covered on an episode of that BBC show a year a go? Looked very nasty.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I didn't think the Dutch had quite the same issues with antisocial drinking.

Neil

Perhaps not, but the German partner of my wife's niece when discussing amongst other things anti-social behaviour issues with him a couple of years back, described similar problems (not necessarily onboard trains) In the Frankfurt area, eg. teenage binge drinking, alcopops, rowdy groups on the streets etc. can't escape from the fact though, that we must be amongst the worst in Europe.:(

Last edited:

muz379

Established Member
Any train when there has been a boxing match on at Manchester Victoria can be a lively atmosphere with loads of beer and testosterone fueled men who have just been watching people fight it out in the ring .

Indeed football trains are usually more hassle than they are worth although that being said there is usually a high enough police presence to deal with the troublemakers

As for the ale trail on the Stalybridge to Huddersfield line there is a problem with anti social behavior on that line .But worse sill there has also been numerous cases of trespass on that route by "ale trailers", not a route that I would personally want to be trespassing on due to the frequency of express TPE services that dont stop between Huddersfield and Stalybridge and can fly round some of the curves on that route .I am surprised there has not been a fatality yet.

Blackpool is worst in the summer when you have a mix of drunks/hen/stag parties and sober family's coming/going on days out . Some families rightly so dont take kindly to their children seeing and hearing the antics of the drunk passengers .
It would help, of course, if the train staff were a bit more visible instead of hiding in the back cab.

Why what can the train staff do ? We dont have any powers and are most of the time on our own or at best have another member of staff if you have a driver who is concerned with the welfare of the guard

Some of the instances ive seen of drunk passengers fighting with even the police when they turn up have been enough to put me off wanting to have anything to do with them . If they try and take on the mob of police that turn up at the train to deal with them what hope have I got on my own with no ppe and no way of calling for urgent backup.

Further to that if I did try and intervene or police the train and then got assaulted that's it train cancelled everyone turfed off good night .

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
There are dry trains on some of Arriva's Valley lines north of Pontypridd.

The last Saturday evening train from Weymouth to Bristol is a dry train and passengers are not even permitted to carry sealed alcohol on board IIRC.

I've read on here before that Cosham is omitted in the evening from Portsmouth - Cardiff services. Not sure if this is due to anti-social behaviour though.

The last train of the night from Bristol to Frome on a Saturday is an experience. It has two guards (that don't usually leave the back cab other than to do the doors at Avoncliff) and regular patrols by the BTP. Usually runs as 4 coaches and every time I've been on it, it's been full of groups of drunk people returning from nights out in Bristol and Bath to towns in Somerset and Wiltshire. People running up and down the carriage screaming, jumping over seats, arguing... My friend a few years ago said she even saw someone smoking in the carriage once!

Where are the problems on the Weymouth/Bristol train?

Given it leaves Weymouth at 20:21, the problems must be further along the line? Or is it summer daytrippers returning home?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I believe the last trains back to Wakefield used to have a lot of problems - the 2315 from Sheffield doesn't stop at Wakefield on a Friday or run at all on a Saturday. The 2324 from Sheffield doesn't run Fridays or Saturday. I doubt there is no demand on those days if there is on a Monday.

I'm not often on trains around there late evenings so I don't know if there's still any problems.

misterredmist

Yes, I can vouch for the boisterousness of the "Ale Trail" on the StalyVegas - Huddersfield route , as said above , I'm surprised there hasn't been a fatality yet..it's never been that bad on the train when I have frequented but rather the local residents between the Station and the Hostelries have had to bear the brunt of people being sick, p***ing in their gardens etc....en-route to and from the Stations....

Tom B

Established Member
The 12.30 from Edinburgh on a Friday used to be quite boisterous with a lot of hen parties etc going to Newcastle. For some time there were a couple of BTP constables put on it each week.

Parallel

Established Member

I can't say I've ever experienced a problem with trains to and from Aberystwyth and I do use this line every so often, it can definitely be lively at times but most of the students on it will live in Aberystwyth so don't really have any need to travel to other places (the next big town will be Shrewsbury, 2 hours away.) Also, I'm pretty sure if these were dry trains then alcohol wouldn't be served?

Maybe the students are heading to the bars and clubs at Dovey Junction. :p

Where are the problems on the Weymouth/Bristol train?

Given it leaves Weymouth at 20:21, the problems must be further along the line? Or is it summer daytrippers returning home?

I'm unsure why it is this one particular train, I've never caught it, there are just posters about it at some of the stations en route to Bristol.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The last train of the night from Bristol to Frome on a Saturday is an experience. It has two guards (that don't usually leave the back cab other than to do the doors at Avoncliff) and regular patrols by the BTP. Usually runs as 4 coaches and every time I've been on it, it's been full of groups of drunk people returning from nights out in Bristol and Bath to towns in Somerset and Wiltshire. People running up and down the carriage screaming, jumping over seats, arguing... My friend a few years ago said she even saw someone smoking in the carriage once!

Every other day of the week that train is pretty damn quiet. You'll get a few students heading back to Bath but that is about it in my experience! Never had the "joy" of it on a Saturday though!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Every other day of the week that train is pretty damn quiet. You'll get a few students heading back to Bath but that is about it in my experience! Never had the "joy" of it on a Saturday though!

My experience on Saturdays is a 2 car 150. Generally 4 cars with the rear two locked. Gets very busy yes, lot's of screaming etc but personally I found the groups keep themselves with themselves, never seen any fighting, aggravating strangers or anything like that. There might have been but if so it's not regular. Then they all tip off at Trowbridge.

I've done it from Bath to Trowbridge countless times, and a couple of times from Bristol. Usually it's after a railtour or a day in London or beyond, so by that time I'm pretty shattered, at least all the screaming on board keeps me awake so that I don't nod off and end up in Frome!

Parallel

Established Member
My experience on Saturdays is a 2 car 150. Generally 4 cars with the rear two locked.

Ah yes, that's true - I use it every month or so and it is usually a 150, though most recently it was a 158/9+153 with both units open. Was quite busy too - I think there was rugby/football or something on the TVs in the pubs which explains that I guess.

Andyh82

Established Member
I believe the last trains back to Wakefield used to have a lot of problems - the 2315 from Sheffield doesn't stop at Wakefield on a Friday or run at all on a Saturday. The 2324 from Sheffield doesn't run Fridays or Saturday. I doubt there is no demand on those days if there is on a Monday.

I'm not often on trains around there late evenings so I don't know if there's still any problems.

The 2206 runs Sheffield to Leeds Monday to Thursday but on Fridays and Saturdays runs Sheffield to Barnsley, then ECS to Wakefield Kirkgate and then in service again to Leeds

Gathursty

Established Member
When I tried the Metrolink Airport line in December, there were 2 instances of objects being lobbed at the windows by unknown vandals near Sale Water Park causing the tram to be taken out of service and some holidaymakers enjoying the nearby housing estate platform for half an hour until service was resumed.

Is the Airport line still plagued by silly sods?

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Yes, I can vouch for the boisterousness of the "Ale Trail" on the StalyVegas - Huddersfield route , as said above , I'm surprised there hasn't been a fatality yet..it's never been that bad on the train when I have frequented but rather the local residents between the Station and the Hostelries have had to bear the brunt of people being sick, p***ing in their gardens etc....en-route to and from the Stations....

Although their intentions were good, promoting the route as an Ale Train was always going to be a recipe for trouble.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The 2206 runs Sheffield to Leeds Monday to Thursday but on Fridays and Saturdays runs Sheffield to Barnsley, then ECS to Wakefield Kirkgate and then in service again to Leeds

Ah yes, and the 2324 Sheffield to Wakefield K only runs Monday to Thursday too.

muz379

Established Member
When I tried the Metrolink Airport line in December, there were 2 instances of objects being lobbed at the windows by unknown vandals near Sale Water Park causing the tram to be taken out of service and some holidaymakers enjoying the nearby housing estate platform for half an hour until service was resumed.

Is the Airport line still plagued by silly sods?

tbh the main problem on the metrolink seems to be idiots driving onto the tracks

strowger

As a long-time commuter out of Leeds, my impression is that evening anti-social behaviour on trains is *much* less bad than a few years ago.

Although the barriers at Leeds & Bradford are hateful and badly-designed, I wonder if the barriers are the reason for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.