• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would it be better to declare Beeching closures 'Damnatio memoriae'

Status
Not open for further replies.

alistairlees

Established Member
I think that the size and shape of the network should be what we have now, with some significant additions.

Most of these will be reopenings because there are very few towns of note that haven't had a railway station in the past.
No. The country has changed enormously in nearly 60 years. Rail service provision needs to reflect that. Some reopenings will certainly happen, but only because they are more or less on the right alignment for solving a problem. We should not begin from "what can I reopen"; but instead from "what is the best solution for new and existing customers today". It's an essential mindset shift.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I actually think rationalising terminal stations was one of the more sensible things Beeching did, and is something BR (and even the Big Four) should have addressed earlier. Although it's occasionally left us with capacity problems, it's solved a lot of issues and made the railway easier to use. Do we really want to go back to the days where it was frequently necessary to get off a train at Edinburgh Waverley and change onto a service from Princes Street, which involved schlepping your luggage, kids etc. up Waverley Steps and half a mile down a very busy street, where the likelihood of being rained/snowed upon was very high?

That said, there are some benefits to the major cities having more than one station.

The notable one is that if one of them is out of action for any reason, the city can still be reached via the other one (See Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham etc), whereas for somewhere like Leeds, if the station is temporarily out of action, the whole show stops.

Similarly, having a couple of terminals means not having all of the pressure from rail passengers seeking onward connections at one point on the local bus/tram network.

No. The country has changed enormously in nearly 60 years. Rail service provision needs to reflect that. Some reopenings will certainly happen, but only because they are more or less on the right alignment for solving a problem. We should not begin from "what can I reopen"; but instead from "what is the best solution for new and existing customers today". It's an essential mindset shift.

You've ignored the key point which is that most notable settlements today will have had a station at some point in the past.

Off the top of my head, taking a sizeable town that isn't on the railway network, Tavistock - if you wanted to link it to the railway network, you're most likely to want to link it to the nearest major poulation centre, which is Plymouth. It's no coincidence that that is where the railway went previously.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Off the top of my head, taking a sizeable town that isn't on the railway network, Tavistock - if you wanted to link it to the railway network, you're most likely to want to link it to the nearest major poulation centre, which is Plymouth. It's no coincidence that that is where the railway went previously.

You probably wouldn't use the original alignment though, you'd rebuild Bere Alston to be a through station and extend from Gunnislake I think.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You probably wouldn't use the original alignment though, you'd rebuild Bere Alston to be a through station and extend from Gunnislake I think.

It's possible, but you'd need another substantial bridge over the Tamar somewhere. Might just be easier using the old alignment.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It's possible, but you'd need another substantial bridge over the Tamar somewhere. Might just be easier using the old alignment.
The bridge and a shorter alignment that is operationally simpler possibly beats out the old alignment I think.
It would be an impressive bridge though!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Could anyone please tell us what is the largest town in Great Britain which never had a railway station?
That's worthy of a whole new thread of its own. And has indeed been discussed at length on here in the past. Opinions differ, I've previously suggested West Bridgford near Nottingham, with a population of c. 45,000+.

D6130

Established Member
That's worthy of a whole new thread of its own. And has indeed been discussed at length on here in the past. Opinions differ, I've previously suggested West Bridgford near Nottingham, with a population of c. 45,000+.
I'm surprised that West Bridgford never had a station, as the route of the Midland Railway Melton Mowbray-Nottingham line seems to have passed right through it, but the nearest station must have been Edwalton.

I suspect that the largest town in Scotland never to have had a station on the national network may have been Campbeltown - although at one time, of course, it had the local narrow gauge line to Machrihanish.

You're right of course......I'll start a new thread!

Irascible

Established Member
Alternatively you'd follow the *other* railway to there which has more housing between Tavistock & Plymouth, but even that one wasn't particularily well aligned - so there is a good point in looking less at reopening lines, rather reopening services. After almost 60 years you're building a new railway anyway.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I think this thread is aimed at people like me. Rail enthusiasm is like Brexit, its based on feeling and emotion rather than rational, empirical arguments. That's just how people are-I'm definetely of the former category. Rail enthusiasm is a past-time and most people aren't interested in the business case of reopening routes, why would they be? The world is simple, it literally boils down to "more track is always a good thing". Wishing otherwise would be asking people to actually think about the technicalities of the railway, which most people won't do because rail enthusiasm is for pleasure.

I get annoyed when I think about all the secondary routes closed by Beeching. It would be great to have a choice of two routes to say, London to Manchester, Birmingham or Glasgow. I know the argument against reopening Matlock to Buxton for through Manchester to London traffic has been done to death, but I still want it to happen. Because when it did exist, the railways looked and felt more interesting. HS2's capacity arguments just leave me cold-I don't really care. Railways are a highly romantic subject-even non-enthusiasts realise that, so it's natural people will pine for things that may very well should not.

Irascible

Established Member
HS2 will give a second route to Birmingham and Manchester but is that the wrong sort of route?
The sort of second choice we should have had all along, perhaps. Would have been better if there was a high speed trunk route and a local one, and trains could swap from one to the other, but in the 1840s who would have believed the sorts of speeds we're reaching now? if you want alt history, an alternative 1930s without a major depression in the 20s could have left us with something interesting now.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Whenever there's a discussion of the rights and wrongs of Beeching (or of "the most-missed closed railways") I always think of one close to me that was a pre-Beeching closure, namely the Holmfirth branch. In 1961 it's understandable that the powers that be thought that the private motor car was the future, so the railway closed without much fanfare. The real mistake of the 1960s was in not protecting the alignments of those railways, should they be required in the future. Then again If you'd objected to closing Holmfirth on the basis that there'd be severe congestion on the A616 in forty years, you'd have been laughed at.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
With regard to Breich, it was a classic bit of stupidity to rebuild it where it is rather than nearer the village, which as it's a "new village" will no doubt expand a fair bit. About 1km to the east it would actually serve a useful purpose.

(If it was hiking country it would be different of course)

A0wen

On Moderation
Going back to one of the original comments about destroying infrastructure after closure.

A few abandoned undisturbed trackbeds closed in the 1960s have seen railways (or light rail/tramways) been opened or reopened and to quote a few- Edinburgh- Tweedbank, Nottingham- Mansfield, Croydon Tramlink, Manchester Tramlink and London Docklands. Another reopening was in London between Blackfriars- Farringdon completely abandoned in the late 1960s reopened in the 1980s and now possibly the biggest success story.

Thameslink's an interesting one because the passenger services through the Snow Hill tunnel were abandoned as far back as 1916 ! It only remained open for freight purposes and certainly there had never been a Luton / Bedford to Brighton service of the kind Thameslink inaugurated.

In that sense it was really a new line, albeit using a tunnel which previously existed.

HST43257

Established Member
With regard to Breich, it was a classic bit of stupidity to rebuild it where it is rather than nearer the village, which as it's a "new village" will no doubt expand a fair bit. About 1km to the east it would actually serve a useful purpose.

(If it was hiking country it would be different of course)
That’s where I’d personally suggest a large housebuilding project. Hourly service to Glasgow and Edinburgh can’t be argued with.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
hou
That’s where I’d personally suggest a large housebuilding project. Hourly service to Glasgow and Edinburgh can’t be argued with.

I suppose if you did a large housebuilding project you could stretch it out to the west by a kilometre, which would mean the station would be in the village :)

HST43257

Established Member
I suppose if you did a large housebuilding project you could stretch it out to the west by a kilometre, which would mean the station would be in the village :)
We may be looking at a ”Briech Station” settlement :D

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've long thought that the theory of thirds is about right. For all closures under the BR years, a third of them probably never should have been built in the first place, a third of them probably had outlived their purpose, and a third probably were a mistake to close.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We may be looking at a ”Briech Station” settlement :D

:)

Oddly, I suspect that if the village was dragged out a kilometre to the west more people from the existing bit would walk/cycle to and use the station. There's a psychological barrier to walking down a main road out of the village that doesn't quite exist in the same way if it's through the village, even if the distance is the same.

HST43257

Established Member
:)

Oddly, I suspect that if the village was dragged out a kilometre to the west more people from the existing bit would walk/cycle to and use the station. There's a psychological barrier to walking down a main road out of the village that doesn't quite exist in the same way if it's through the village, even if the distance is the same.
True, I guess there’s an element of safety, especially with the ”please drive carefully“ signs, perhaps reducing safety worries.

tbtc

Veteran Member
This is why I get so annoyed by the "Reopen Woodhead" brigade. Although it wasn't originally on Beeching's hitlist, one of the factors behind its closure to passengers in 1970 was an inability to find a way to divert services into Sheffield Midland. There were other reasons behind it, of course, like political pressure to keep the Hope Valley open, but this was a major practical problem that couldn't be solved. If Woodhead had been the only rail route from Manchester to Sheffield, you'd have been dumped at the remote and inconvenient Victoria station, with no other onward rail connections, and it would have caused a lot of issues. If Woodhead were to re-open, you'd still have the same problem now - you'd need to provide a diversion into Midland across a densely populated and highly developed area. If it was too difficult to contemplate in the sixties, I can't see it being much easier now.

Having had a look, short of major construction work in Sheffield city centre, I think you'd have had to take trains off Woodhead at Penistone and run them via Barnsley. It would have made the journey somewhat longer, and required the expense of electrifying that section.

Agreed - I can see why Woodhead appeals to people - the single carriageway roads between two of the biggest cities in England are poor (and frequently closed in winter) but there's no space west of Hadfield and the situation at Victoria would be a real mess (given the lack of space at Midland but also the fact that Victoria is on a viaduct outside the Inner Ring Road and some distance from the nearest tram stop etc)

The problem with these kind of threads is that anything simple gets rejected ("you can't build a second platform at Dore and a couple of passing loops to accommodate freight in the Hope Valley - that'd be expensive and the Peak authorities might not give planning permission")...

... but any large project (like building a new station at Victoria, building around forty miles of double track railway, drilling a couple of new tunnels under the Pennines because the old ones are used for National Grid) seems to be easy since you don't have to consider the practicalities!

Slippery slope though.

As soon as you make it easy for the Establishment to go around closing things, it will go too far.

You can guarantee it.

If you can't accept the closure of something like Newhaven Marine (because you worry that this would lead to another Serpell) then fair enough, I'm not going to change your mind.

But if you can't accept closing a single inch of railway in 2021 then let's not pretend that you'd have accepted any closures in Beeching's day - so the complaint isn't that he closed Line X or Line Y, you'd not have accepted a single closure (even if he'd spared 99% of the lines that were in the report, you'd have still been complaining about the 1% that were left on the list)

I would argue Whitby is an example of where they got it wrong in that all its south facing routes closed and a day out by train from most places is nigh on impossible because of the need to go via Middlesbrough first

Whitby is a grey area. Population wise, there's not a lot south of there until York, whereas Nunthorpe is closer (given that you'd presumably keep the line from Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe). And there's a reasonable frequency of buses along both the A171 and A174 (which seems a reasonable benchmark for passenger demand).

So, if the argument is about "keeping the town on the map", avoiding it ending up on the List Of Towns Without A Railway" then I can see why the line that survived was the one to Teesside - if only one route to Whitby survived then I guess it'd be "regular commuters for Middlesbrough" versus "long distance leisure traffic from places further away, further south"

I don't think that there was enough demand to justify keeping more than one route to Whitby, and maybe the need to serve the school kids on the Middlesbrough route was the reason that this had to be kept open?

Living south of Whitby, as I do, I'd have liked if if it was more accessible from the York direction, but it's a long way through pretty empty countryside from anywhere, so I can see that it came down to a decision between keeping one route open, and Middlesbrough probably had more everyday/ year round demand - given the population density of the North Yorkshire Moors, I think that keeping two lines open would have been unrealistic (whilst so may other routes were closing)

Agreed - the fact that the same dozen or so lines keep coming up (and that the people who suggest them never seem to think that there are other problems that exist which would require something other than re-opening old routes) is a common mindset - but it doesn't help solve twenty first century problems

That said, there are some benefits to the major cities having more than one station.

The notable one is that if one of them is out of action for any reason, the city can still be reached via the other one (See Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham etc), whereas for somewhere like Leeds, if the station is temporarily out of action, the whole show stops.

Similarly, having a couple of terminals means not having all of the pressure from rail passengers seeking onward connections at one point on the local bus/tram network.

...and yet when HS2 proposes to build stations right next to existing stations (e.g. the entrance to Curzon Street is going to be at the entrance to Moor Street) or expanding the envelope of existing stations (e.g. an HS2 alignment that arrives into Leeds directly from the south, so that it's right at the current Leeds station but the tracks won't integrate with existing lines at Leeds), there's uproar from enthusiasts at the idea that everything won't all be part of the one existing station

How often is New Street closed and services are diverted to Moor Street/ Snow Hill though? How often is Glasgow Central closed and services diverted to Queen Street? How many spare paths would you keep at a second station in Leeds just in case all of the services at the existing station have to be diverted there? It's a bit like the "diversionary resilience" excuse for re-opening an old line - it sounds nice in theory but it seems an incredibly expensive way of providing a capacity, when we don't use diversions even when there is an alternative route.

You've ignored the key point which is that most notable settlements today will have had a station at some point in the past.

And, again, the top problem on your list is Tavistock - all problems seem to coincidently involve small towns that used to have stations on closed lines. Meanwhile, suburban Milton Keynes grows by the size of Tavistock fairly regularly but no enthusiasts seem worried about serving all of the new houses there.

I think this thread is aimed at people like me. Rail enthusiasm is like Brexit, its based on feeling and emotion rather than rational, empirical arguments. That's just how people are-I'm definetely of the former category. Rail enthusiasm is a past-time and most people aren't interested in the business case of reopening routes, why would they be? The world is simple, it literally boils down to "more track is always a good thing". Wishing otherwise would be asking people to actually think about the technicalities of the railway, which most people won't do because rail enthusiasm is for pleasure.

I get annoyed when I think about all the secondary routes closed by Beeching. It would be great to have a choice of two routes to say, London to Manchester, Birmingham or Glasgow. I know the argument against reopening Matlock to Buxton for through Manchester to London traffic has been done to death, but I still want it to happen. Because when it did exist, the railways looked and felt more interesting. HS2's capacity arguments just leave me cold-I don't really care. Railways are a highly romantic subject-even non-enthusiasts realise that, so it's natural people will pine for things that may very well should not.

I appreciate the honesty - I've no problem with people who have the emotional attachment to old lines - there must be millions of people in the country who have that sentimentality, based on the Government's regular "Build Beeching Back Better" press releases - even amongst people who are far too young to have used these lines - maybe someone cleverer than me will put together a thesis on why the Brits have these lightly used railways that few people actually used at the time and significant numbers of those people remain alive - there can't be many people of working age in 2021 who remember using these lines .

I don't know if other countries have the same fixation with closed routes - obviously there will be fewer such lines in countries that built their railways properly (and didn't have a mess of competing lines built by nineteenth century entrepreneurs that needed trimming) - but it does feel peculiarly British.

I'm just getting a bit bored when people keep bringing back the same dozen or so lines as the solution to all of the major problems (as far as they are concerned) - sentimentality is fine but let's not spend hundreds of millions of pounds of the rail budget on such projects - the pre-Covid railway was struggling with capacity/ bottlenecks/ passengers crammed onto busy trains/ lack of electrification/ flat junctions/ weekend staffing... worrying about rural villages is really far down my list of priorities.

Whenever there's a discussion of the rights and wrongs of Beeching (or of "the most-missed closed railways") I always think of one close to me that was a pre-Beeching closure, namely the Holmfirth branch. In 1961 it's understandable that the powers that be thought that the private motor car was the future, so the railway closed without much fanfare. The real mistake of the 1960s was in not protecting the alignments of those railways, should they be required in the future. Then again If you'd objected to closing Holmfirth on the basis that there'd be severe congestion on the A616 in forty years, you'd have been laughed at.

Sounds nice in theory but how long would you preserve the alignments? Should we still preserve all of the lines that were closed a hundred years ago?

Would that include freight lines too? Given that a number of them were built to serve something like a colliery that closed down - do we keep them too? Should the railway be liable for maintaining all of the intact bridges and tunnels on preserved bits of line? Would this have meant BR having to close significantly more lines, given that they didn't get the benefits of selling off alignments of closed lines (they'd have to get the money from somewhere)?

And would the same apply to canals? Should we have kept all of them fully open just in case that trade came back to?

Building tens of thousands of houses because you can't accept closing a failing station seems a little... tail wagging the dog?

If people won't use our stations then they should understand that the railway takes priority and we should organise their housing around the needs of the railway?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you can't accept the closure of something like Newhaven Marine (because you worry that this would lead to another Serpell) then fair enough, I'm not going to change your mind.

But if you can't accept closing a single inch of railway in 2021 then let's not pretend that you'd have accepted any closures in Beeching's day - so the complaint isn't that he closed Line X or Line Y, you'd not have accepted a single closure (even if he'd spared 99% of the lines that were in the report, you'd have still been complaining about the 1% that were left on the list)

Well, I think they probably had a point with the Hythe (Kent) branch. And the Meon Valley, and the Bluebell line (as examples)

But then again, these were pre-Beeching when the Regions were "re-shaping" the network according to passenger usage, rather than as a pre-ordained cost-cutting measure.

Journeyman

Established Member
Well, I think they probably had a point with the Hythe (Kent) branch. And the Meon Valley, and the Bluebell line (as examples)

But then again, these were pre-Beeching when the Regions were "re-shaping" the network according to passenger usage, rather than as a pre-ordained cost-cutting measure.
I think that's a slightly naive view. All Beeching did was - rather sensibly - ensure that the same methodology was applied everywhere, and a sensible, network-wide approach was taken to closures, which really needed to be done. It was all rather haphazard and inconsistent before, and for the first time someone actually showed their working and properly attempted to understand the size and location of the enormous black hole that was swallowing the railway's money.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think that's a slightly naive view. All Beeching did was - rather sensibly - ensure that the same methodology was applied everywhere, and a sensible, network-wide approach was taken to closures, which really needed to be done. It was all rather haphazard and inconsistent before, and for the first time someone actually showed their working and properly attempted to understand the size and location of the enormous black hole that was swallowing the railway's money.

Well, he attempted to understand the size and location of the black hole in the railways finances, but arguably not particularly successfully.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Sounds nice in theory but how long would you preserve the alignments? Should we still preserve all of the lines that were closed a hundred years ago?

Would that include freight lines too? Given that a number of them were built to serve something like a colliery that closed down - do we keep them too? Should the railway be liable for maintaining all of the intact bridges and tunnels on preserved bits of line? Would this have meant BR having to close significantly more lines, given that they didn't get the benefits of selling off alignments of closed lines (they'd have to get the money from somewhere)?

And would the same apply to canals? Should we have kept all of them fully open just in case that trade came back to?
Well, you'd look at each situation on a case-by-case basis, but with a presumption against (a) breaching an alignment that has strategic potential, and (b) building something on that alignment that doesn't need to go there. For example why build houses on top of an old railway embankment when there's a field adjacent that would be equally suitable. Often the former railway land was sold off cheaply and in piecemeal sections... almost as if deliberately planned to prevent the railway ever returning. In terms of Holmfirth, it's entirely understandable that in 1961 the railway wasn't viable: car ownership was rising and the roads weren't congested, and people generally lived closer to their employment. People from Holmfirth might go to Huddersfield once or twice a month rather than every day.
Fast forward 60 years and the two A-roads from Holmfirth to Huddersfield are nose-to-tail for two hours each morning and evening (lockdown notwithstanding). Had the alignment been kept clear there would be a reasonable case for reopening (though the missing viaduct would be a problem, as even if it still stood it would be in a poor state by now) simply on environmental grounds.

Your canal suggestion is a facetious straw man of my point though. I'm not arguing that things should be kept for sake of keeping them, nor that old=good by definition. Canals were a step towards the development of railways and of transit networks in general, but were always destined to be a dead-end due to the limitations of that mode: even a modern, newly-built canal would have much the same speed and capacity constraints that the old ones did.

Often the rationalisation of the network was something of a false economy too. For example take a double tracked line with an hourly service in each direction: it's easy to say "why don't we lift one of the lines, as the service can be maintained with just a passing loop every 12 miles or so? That should save on maintenance"... in reality, your remaining single track now receives double the volume of traffic it had previously, so the rails will need replacement more frequently... and you now have to shut down completely in order to replace those rails.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Well, he attempted to understand the size and location of the black hole in the railways finances, but arguably not particularly successfully.
I've actually studied the Beeching report in quite a lot of detail both academically and out of personal interest, and the analysis in it, by the standards of the day, is pretty good. There's flaws, yes, but they're not necessarily his fault, they're more to do with the quality of the data available, and also the fact that he was being asked to sweep the tide back with a brush. It was only later on, in 1968 or so, that the need for subsidy was recognised, and the closures slowed down.

There's a lot of complex variables involved, but I think Beeching was asked to do a job, and he did it to the best of his ability. It's alleged that he was truly horrified by the scale of the problems he unearthed, and they were far worse than anyone wanted to acknowledge.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I must admit I have a couple of concepts to suggest on this forum, but since they are emphatically not reopenings I do wonder what sort of reception they will get!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've actually studied the Beeching report in quite a lot of detail both academically and out of personal interest, and the analysis in it, by the standards of the day, is pretty good. There's flaws, yes, but they're not necessarily his fault, they're more to do with the quality of the data available, and also the fact that he was being asked to sweep the tide back with a brush. It was only later on, in 1968 or so, that the need for subsidy was recognised, and the closures slowed down.

There's a lot of complex variables involved, but I think Beeching was asked to do a job, and he did it to the best of his ability. It's alleged that he was truly horrified by the scale of the problems he unearthed, and they were far worse than anyone wanted to acknowledge.

The biggest problem at the time was arguably Government policy, which wasn't prepared to countenance paying for socially necessary services. Had this been in place earlier, BR could have avoided chasing the fantasy world of trying to find a profitable core of the railway, and it's not as though, as a particularly hawkish member of the Stedeford committee, Beeching didn't have any influence on that policy.

Yes, there were problems with data, however ultimately the nationwide methodology didn't adequately identify where the costs and revenue opportunities of the railway were at the time. As an example, it should have been apparent that some locations would contribute more passenger traffic as a destination than as an origin station.

Going back to the report, I think that for the first two worked examples, he probably had a point in closure, but York - Beverley via Market Weighton stands out as a route which even taking account of the information available at the time, shouldn't have been closed.

furnessvale

Established Member
I think that's over-egging the pudding a bit. Nothing should be beyond discussion, just because of what happened 60 years ago.
Beeching was not the last attack. Serpell was 38 years ago and there is a constant rumble of others in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.