• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WOW! That's Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

Earlier this year my son included a 2 Gig Memory Pen with my birthday presents. I had not used one before and wasn't sure what I would actually use it for. However, I eventually started saving a load of photographs of a collection of Trains, Trams Buses Old time photos etc and the immediate affect that I noticed was just how fast a photo popped up on screen when clicking on a file. It was almost instantly.

After a while I wondered if it would do anything for programmes such as BVE4Earlier this week I sent off for two 4 Gig Memory Pens and started to save numerous MP3 files to one of them. The next time I fired up BVE4 I started to wonder if the Pen could do anything for that programme so I downloaded everything onto the spare 4 Gig Pen. It took 1hr 40mins. Perhaps I should have simply downloaded just a few Routes that really I enjoy first! Whatever, the job was done so I made a fresh desktop icon link from the Pen Drive (K). I then changed the name of the Mackoy Folder on my 'C' drive to make sure it wasn't affecting anything.

The BVE4 programme fired up reasonably fast but I immediately noticed that the routes took a little bit longer to load up and configure than from the hard drive, but nothing drastic to worry about.

I only had one Route loading problem and that was with Eezypeezy's three routes, ECML, Tyne Valley and Alnmouth. All the other routes I tried all worked without any error messages. The three routes mentioned all had error messages and opened with just the background graphic and the first signal showing ahead. However, I quickly put this right by downloading the three routes again from Eezypeezy's web site, into the Memory Pen Folder and files and everything ran perfectly.

My immediate interest was to see if this had improved the frame rates any but sadly there was no change that I could notice. They were still down to around 5fps at Birmingham NS and the larger stations on NWM. Whatever, I was soon to realise that there was a definite change and it took me a little while to work out what it was. There is a striking improvement on the stability of the screen image. Standing at stations the screen image is almost rock steady, apart from the slight swaying, that is well known with BVE4.

However, that and then while on the move I was soon to notice even more improvements. Scenery was smooth right to the edges of the screen with much more detail in 3-D effect and with objects. You may recall my mentioning on another thread the strange effect of objects such as a line of trees appearing to be moving forward instead of backwards as the train progressed. This has now gone. This and passing through the overhead gantries are visually more steady and I don't see distant objects redrawing, and especially on the sides and in the distance, being redrawn continually as you move along. Distant objects appear virtually all at once, they just pop up when the visual distance is correct.

As you know, recently Tyne Valley was considerably updated and you noticed the changes and additions. However, this time I was noticing new objects and detail that I had not seen before. The New Stations looked fantastic and full of detail.

There really is a very rewarding overall improvement on the screen and it all helps to make the game that bit more enjoyable. I am starting to feel that the only other change that would improve on this would be working out how to really increase those Frame Rates. I upgraded my computer memory to 2.5 Gig and while it increased the speed of the desktop, windows and files opening up, it did nothing for frame rates.

My next trial was with a High Resolution Route on NWM. I ran the none-stop 170 Route from Maybank to Salford Bridge. Again, there was no improvement to frame rates but with the higher resolution the overall screen image was virtually photographic and so steady and clear.

I am not sure what is causing this improvement but way back in my Atari STE days, using a set chunk of Cache Memory and loading the programmes into it used to speed things up incredibly, in those days of very low MB's of memory. Perhaps something like this is going on when you load up from the USB2 Memory Pen, but whatever it is I am very pleased with the improvement and I plan to leave this Memory Pen as a fixture in the 4 x USB2 Block. After all, if I need the USB socket it's a simple matter of swapping one Memory Pen for another. Likewise, I can easily take the BVE4 programme to another computer.

Now, having said that! Am I breaking any rules of BVE, Route and Train builders by having BVE etc on a separate Pen Drive? I have been saving BE, train and route files on a DVD Data disc for some time now, as a backup, but does a USB Memory Pen become a problem?

The two Memory pens that I purchased are called Dane-Elec and I got them from 7dayshop.com, which I have been using for some time now and very happy with. Their prices are very good and postage very fast. These two particular Pens are going for £7.99 each at the moment, which is very good value for a 4 Gig Pen. The Pens really look quality made and while the cases are in plastic they have a very nice surface that almost feels like silk. They are 2" x 1" and very lightweight.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
AFAIK, you are only breaking the rules if you sell or distribute the CDs/DVDs/pen-drives. If you are using them for personal use, you will be perfectly fine. :)

P156KWJ

Established Member
memory sticks are very useful. Believe it or not, you can now buy 8Gb and 16Gb ones from good places like staples, the latter being expensive at £49.99 :shock:

mbonwick

Established Member
I believe 32GB is becoming more common and 64GB as well.

You can get 500GB drives if you put a 3.5" or 2.5" drive into a USB caddy ;)

1D53

Established Member
memory sticks are very useful. Believe it or not, you can now buy 8Gb and 16Gb ones from good places like staples, the latter being expensive at £49.99 :shock:

Pah, I remember when 128mb ones were £50!

will1337

mbonwick, you could put a 1TB drive into a 3 1/2"
JsT, my first was a 512MB for £40, seems mental now 16GB SD cards can be had for about that

1D53

Established Member
JsT, my first was a 512MB for £40, seems mental now 16GB SD cards can be had for about that

Bear in mind I got my first the best part of about 7 or 8 years ago!

Guinness

Established Member
Pen Drive faster than Hard Drive Transfer speed?? Or just the fact that BVE doesn't have to wade through various files on C:\ to get to BVE Folder? :?

Or am I talking bollocks at 2.47am?!?! <D

Bill EWS

Thanks for your response. Perhaps the comments that the improvement is due to the fact that the pen drive doesn't have anything but BVE saved to it and that the computer doesn't have to search hundreds of other files may be closer to the answer than anything. However, what's for certain is that I am now getting a steadiness and clarity in the BVE Screen that is very obvious compared to what I have long been accustomed to and that is most welcome.

Two things that I forgot to mention! One was that of the BVE screen freezing up, momentarily! In this case the freeze is so brief that you almost miss it. It is still happening but recovers almost instantly. More proof that the programme in memory is working just that bit faster than from the hard drive.

The second was that the speed of the Memory Pen I have is 110x. Perhaps there is more improvement to had from even faster Memory Pens. Perhaps one of you could let me know, thanks.

My first computer was an Atari XL with 800k then an Atari STFM followed by an STE. The STE only had 125mb memory and cost nearly £400 as new, but at the time that was a fantastic leap compared to the XL and opened the way to using bigger programmes and better graphics etc and was even capable of going on the Internet, albeit the graphic page was terrible. But that was a limitation on the resolution available.

I still have the Atari STE available as a Simulator on my PC and it's always nice to go back into it and have a look at my old work and programmes but the progress of today means that you would never really want to return to the slower speed and restricitions of that time. But in some ways they were enjoyable to work with as they were more basic and easier to operate. Graphic and Word Processing programmes were really very good for the tiny size of programming compared to present day monsters, therefore there wasn't the same need for masses of Gigabite memory just to hold the programmes themselves. never mind good few the few hundreds of STE's of memory just for Windows itself!

Cheers.

BIllEWS

mbonwick

Established Member

yes you can, so long as the interface is the same as the enclosure and it is the same size (it will be 3.5" or 2.5")

Bill, I don't think I've come across USB being measured in x. I only know of CD/DVD speeds that are like that.

As it's USB 2, it will hvae a max speed of 480Mb/S

Bill EWS

Mbonwick,
I'm not sure whether they are refering to the writing or reading speed, but the description stated on the Invoice is ... "4GB - Very High peed (110x) - Red Dane-Elec Nacre". Anyone add to that?

Writing speed appears to be quite slow when saving a fair amount of files.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

The Snap

Established Member
You can buy them very cheaply online. I got a 4GB one for under £10! :D

mbonwick

Established Member
Mbonwick,
I'm not sure whether they are refering to the writing or reading speed, but the description stated on the Invoice is ... "4GB - Very High peed (110x) - Red Dane-Elec Nacre". Anyone add to that?

Writing speed appears to be quite slow when saving a fair amount of files.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

Ah well then, still none the wiser :p

It will be slower the more files - the peak burst transfer rate is approx 10% of speed = 48MB/s
This drops lower and lower with the longer time it's copying.

The Gricer

Bill, I don't think I've come across USB being measured in x. I only know of CD/DVD speeds that are like that.

As it's USB 2, it will hvae a max speed of 480Mb/S

While 480Mb/s (60MB/s) is the theoretical maximum speed of the USB2 "high speed" standard, USB flash drives won't come anywhere near this sort of speed. They are limited by the speed of the nand flash memory chips used in them, (nand flash being very slow when compared to other forms of memory). Some of the cheaper ones I've tried have exhibited abysmal speeds especially when writing a large number of small files.

As to the x100 type of marketing hype this often refers to the speed referenced to the "USB low speed" standard of 1.5Mb/s (187.5kB/s) and then it's only the read speed, - write speed will usually be considerably lower. (USB2 supports three basic data rates: low speed, full speed and high speed.) So x110 would be 187.5kB/s x110 = 165Mb/s (20.6MB/sec) which is actually quite good for a USB flash drive.

So if you're looking to buy one remember that USB2 doesn't neccesarily mean 'fast'. I would suggest avoiding the very cheapest and at least look for the "certified USB2 High Speed logo" on the packaging. Even then the speed can vary between makes and models. Of course, speed might not matter to you in which case the cheapest ones can be a worthwhile bargain.

Hope this helps

Frank

Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
Ahh right, thanks for clearing the x's up :lol:

I was well aware of the speed limitations, but thank you for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.