• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrightbus enter administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Fair enough! Where do you live? (This isn’t a threat, perhaps users in your area are more discerning than in Donny)! :)

Hahaha! I laughed there, honestly i wouldn't have taken it as a threat anyway :lol:.

I live in Aberdeen. It tends to be the OAPs but i've heard plenty of people complain about the ride quality on certain bus types. Streetlites being the main culprit followed by Stagecoach E350Hs and E400s, although with the latter it's down to poor maintenance rather than vehicle type.

Cummins have two sites in Ward Park Cumbernauld, one is a workshop (pictured in the media) and a production facility on the opposite side of the M80.
I would be surprised if the workshops were to be closed, they are quite busy.

So they do, my mistake...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

harz99

I disagree, i've heard countless times where users have complained about the ride quality of a bus.

Ride quality, or the ride the driver is producing? Easily confused, one is due to the vehicle, the other simply a driver who doesn't give a s*** and routinely does things like heavy brake use ending in recoil, which is really uncomfortable for passengers, especially the older ones.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Ride quality, or the ride the driver is producing? Easily confused, one is due to the vehicle, the other simply a driver who doesn't give a s*** and routinely does things like heavy brake use ending in recoil, which is really uncomfortable for passengers, especially the older ones.

Certainly as far as Streetlites are concerned i can tell you for a fact most cases are not down to the driver. The Streetlite can't get round a flat roundabout without giving whiplash and trying to stop one smoothly is near impossible.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I disagree, i've heard countless times where users have complained about the ride quality of a bus.

Really? I saw this comment and coincidentally had a day out today on a selection of Eclipses and Streetdecks (plus a few ADLs) and decided to listen in (in the interests of research). Didn't hear any mutterings about the ride quality or anything about the journey itself.

People have much more important things to worry about and, in fact, those very comments that johnny chips mentioned WERE the very things that were mentioned. The five 13/14 year olds swearing on the top deck - check. The 1218 departure not turning up - check.

In terms of ride I find that the Enviro200 MMC is better than both the non-MMC Enviro200 and the Plaxton Primo. Same goes for an enthusiast mate of mine who had doubts about Enviro200 MMCs until he rode on one of the Gold-liveried ones on Stagecoach Cymru's service 151 (Blackwood - Newport). I have no probs with Solos though. Dave

This is spot on. The e200 isn't a great vehicle and is comparable (in terms of ride quality) to the Streetlite DF. What the big difference is that the e200mmc has moved the bar so much higher.

Been on plenty of Streetlites and, yes, they're lightweight. The ride and build quality is comparable to an e200 - not a driver so won't pretend to make out I know what they're like. Main issues seem to be jerky gear changes (but this is a consequence of the gearbox not being properly set up - some examples are poor, others are fine) and, for some reason, the trim around the emergency exit is a constant rattle point when idling.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Really? I saw this comment and coincidentally had a day out today on a selection of Eclipses and Streetdecks (plus a few ADLs) and decided to listen in (in the interests of research). Didn't hear any mutterings about the ride quality or anything about the journey itself.

People have much more important things to worry about and, in fact, those very comments that johnny chips mentioned WERE the very things that were mentioned. The five 13/14 year olds swearing on the top deck - check. The 1218 departure not turning up - check.

Yes! Opposite ends of the UK :p. People up here are far more vocal i guess.

AB93

On Twitter this week from a service that's just been changed to StreetLites...
"Good news! Passengers on services 11 & 12 are set to benefit this month with a bus upgrade providing improved travelling comfort together with lower engine emissions."

"Not yesterday we didn't, I've never been thrown around so much on a bus. Either the driver was terrible or the bus is."

And that's from a genuine passenger, not a spotter.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I wonder if in a few years' time we will be able to see a Streetlite/Deck preserved in a bus museum or at a rally? Anyone know if a B7L has been preserved?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I wonder if in a few years' time we will be able to see a Streetlite/Deck preserved in a bus museum or at a rally? Anyone know if a B7L has been preserved?

A number of B7Ls have been saved and i'm sure Streetlites/decks will be one day too o_O.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
On Twitter this week from a service that's just been changed to StreetLites...
"Good news! Passengers on services 11 & 12 are set to benefit this month with a bus upgrade providing improved travelling comfort together with lower engine emissions."

"Not yesterday we didn't, I've never been thrown around so much on a bus. Either the driver was terrible or the bus is."

And that's from a genuine passenger, not a spotter.

I don't doubt you but as I said, the people I heard today weren't talking about the build quality and braking over the Streetdeck. They were talking about the 5 swearing, scuffling kids at the back of the top deck and the fact the driver stopped, had a look, and then did nothing.

A number of B7Ls have been saved and i'm sure Streetlites/decks will be one day too o_O.

You're right. These are always part of someone's childhood or formative years. Remember how hated Leyland Nationals were.... plenty are now preserved. How about the van derived minibuses - surely they'd never been preserved but no, you can find Transits, Ivecos, Mercs. I mean, there's even Dodge S56s preserved and they were the most god awful machines ever turfed out onto bus operation. AEC Merlins, Guy Wulfrunians - they all get saved.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
You're right. These are always part of someone's childhood or formative years. Remember how hated Leyland Nationals were.... plenty are now preserved. How about the van derived minibuses - surely they'd never been preserved but no, you can find Transits, Ivecos, Mercs. I mean, there's even Dodge S56s preserved and they were the most god awful machines ever turfed out onto bus operation. AEC Merlins, Guy Wulfrunians - they all get saved.

Spot on, it's always good to have warnings from the past ;). Sarcasm aside it would be a shame if some of the buses on the road today weren't saved, at the end of the day they're just as relevant when it comes to the history of transport in the UK as any bus from 15 years ago and beyond was, just imagine what it would be like if no Nationals were saved (as hated as they were). Although i must confess the "this bus is too young to be preserved" brigade do make me chuckle, they seem to appear all over social media whenever a bus built post 1985 is saved!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Spot on, it's always good to have warnings from the past ;). Sarcasm aside it would be a shame if some of the buses on the road today weren't saved, at the end of the day they're just as relevant when it comes to the history of transport in the UK as any bus from 15 years ago and beyond was, just imagine what it would be like if no Nationals were saved (as hated as they were). Although i must confess the "this bus is too young to be preserved" brigade do make me chuckle, they seem to appear all over social media whenever a bus built post 1985 is saved!

Absolutely - they are a relevant part of transport history and, for pity's sake, there has to be more to bus preservation that just Routemasters and Western National VRs (good as they are).

harz99

How about the van derived minibuses - surely they'd never been preserved but no, you can find Transits, Ivecos, Mercs. I mean, there's even Dodge S56s preserved and they were the most god awful machines ever turfed out onto bus operation.

I'd have to disagree about the Renault/Dodge vehicles. I built a business around secondhand S56 and S75s, some of which were Wrightbus bodied. Perfectly okay as long as they had Allison auto boxes and not Torqflyte or manual boxes. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, as opposed to the equivalent Mercedes, and yes i did drive them as well...

SpeedbirdA350

Although i must confess the "this bus is too young to be preserved" brigade do make me chuckle, they seem to appear all over social media whenever a bus built post 1985 is saved!
To be fair, Lothian has a B7RLE "heritage" vehicle which is 112 (04 plate), yet still uses B7RLE 04 plates on some routes. I understand the need to preserve some but I think 04 is too new to be called historic, not to new to be preserved. However, when i asked what they classed as heritage, it's a bus type that has left active service.

I also think it's an age thing - as we get older, we see vehicles join the preserved fleet and cry because we're getting older. Note to self, never go to a museum lol.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'd have to disagree about the Renault/Dodge vehicles. I built a business around secondhand S56 and S75s, some of which were Wrightbus bodied. Perfectly okay as long as they had Allison auto boxes and not Torqflyte or manual boxes. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, as opposed to the equivalent Mercedes, and yes i did drive them as well...

United Auto had 45 of the wretched things with Alexander bodies. They were ponderous, had auto boxes, and there were sighs of relief when a substantial number were offloaded early to West Riding. The only thing they had going for them was that they were larger than the Mercs capacity.

The Merc 608s were a hardier machine though, at first, they got through brake linings and clutches esp in hillier spots. However, that was reduced by fitting retarders.

harz99

I would think they would have had Torqflyte 3 speed auto's, which were both serene in pace and the torque converters weak for that engine size and power output! Easily burnt out unless driven gently!

United Auto had 45 of the wretched things with Alexander bodies. They were ponderous, had auto boxes, and there were sighs of relief when a substantial number were offloaded early to West Riding. The only thing they had going for them was that they were larger than the Mercs capacity.

The Merc 608s were a hardier machine though, at first, they got through brake linings and clutches esp in hillier spots. However, that was reduced by fitting retarders.

Steamysandy

Lowland acquired one of the Renaults at least from Eastern Scottish and used it on the then 128 (now part of Prentice 111.)
On the climb up from Ballencrieff up to Garleton,you felt you should get off and give it a push from the back

Not looking good for the future of Wrightbbus. It seems Jo Bamford has been unable to reach a deal and the company is expected to enter liquidation tomorrow. Whilst all is not 100% clear yet, I would say that Jeff Wright has a lot to answer for surrounding the failure of this deal.

From BBC News:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49996934

"
The owner of the Wrightbus factory has said he has not been able to reach a deal to sell it to a new owner.

Jeff Wright said that the sticking point had been farmland he does not consider part of the factory site.

In a statement released on Thursday, bidder Jo Bamford said he had met the asking price for the Wrightbus factory and the land."

Last edited by a moderator:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Jeff Wright clearly wants to ensure that he still has some money coming in from the site, I'd assume that it's quite hard to replace the funding that has been going into the church.

Volvodart

Established Member
When it was initially put up for sale, surely the advisors would have mentioned the foreseeable problem with the land not being owned putting off buyers, and something should have been done about it then.

Swimbar

There is clearly a lot more to this than any of us know and presumably it will come out later in the wash. A prime example is the First Leeds order that has not been delivered. We have had various opinions as to what has happened regarding the order but no facts. Unfortunately the future looks very bleak

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Breaking News on the BBC News website: suggests a deal is back on.

The Jo Bamford referred to is a member of the 'JCB' Bamford family, so as an individual he is not short of a bob or two to pay the asking price. One of his other companies bought Woodford Airfield (British Aerospace) with the intention of redeveloping it.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Here it is https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50013959
A deal has been reached in principle for the sale of Wrightbus.

Bidder Jo Bamford said agreement had been reached with "the Wright family for the Wrightbus factory and land".

"We are still to conclude a deal with the administrators but are pleased to report this important step in the right direction.

"I would like to thank Ian Paisley for his hard work and diligence in helping to mediate what has at times been a tricky negotiation."

George Brash from the Unite union described it as a "momentous day".

He said it was a tribute to the workforce and the solidarity they have shown.

"There are a lot of smiling faces at the moment," he added.

"We just need everything confirmed."

Mr Bamford, an English industrialist, who is the son of JCB chairman Lord Bamford, wants to buy the Wrightbus business and the factory through his Ryse Hydrogen company.

Mr Paisley said he welcomed the announcement by Mr Bamford.

He said Mr Bamford is "concluding the final arrangements with the administrator to take over Wrightbus and get men and women back to work building buses".

On Thursday, the owner of the Wrightbus factory, Jeff Wright, said he had not been able to reach a deal to sell it to a new owner.

He said that the sticking point had been farmland he did not consider part of the factory site.

A statement from Jeff Wright on Friday confirmed that the farmland will be gifted to the local council as a tribute to his father Sir William Wright.

There are also plans for an innovation centre for start-ups.

"This legacy gift is a tribute not only to my father, his father before him, and the Wright family members, but most importantly is a tribute to the generations of workers who helped build a proud manufacturing tradition in Ballymena," he added.

"It is my true wish to see this legacy used for the purposes of expanding manufacturing and benefiting our local community."

Manufacturing NI tweeted that it was great news that a deal had been done which could lead to a deal being secured by the administrators, but added that "in saving some jobs at Wrightbus they don't kill jobs in the SME supply chain who are owed millions".

Wrightbus was started in 1946 from a tin shed in Ballymena by Robert Wright and his son, William - now Sir William Wright.

The Ballymena business was placed into administration and put up for sale last month.

The Wrightbus premises are owned separately from the manufacturing business and held in a company called Whirlwind Property Two, which is not part of the Wright group and is therefore not under the control of the administrator.

The property company is controlled by Jeff Wright, the former owner of Wrightbus.

ChrisPJ

Looks like good news!! I wonder what dirt they had on Jeff Wright in order for him to change his mind so much and so quickly.

PG

Established Member
I would think they would have had Torqflyte 3 speed auto's, which were both serene in pace and the torque converters weak for that engine size and power output! Easily burnt out unless driven gently!
I'd forgotten these dreadful things, worst of the era of van derived minibuses...couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding especially with a few onboard, damp and musty smell with mould growing in the window frames and worst of all (from a drivers perspective) the constant vibration through the steering wheel akin to holding onto a pneumatic drill!!

Status
Not open for further replies.