• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HST to aberdeen tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
It is. For whatever reason, it didn't go back yesterday on it's booked diagram, so did the 09:25 Plymouth - Aberdeen today.

Does anyone know if a HST has reached Aberdeen before in XC colours?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Loads of times,back in 2008 it was a very regular occurance.Did Aberdeen to Edinburgh on XC with 43285+357 in December 2008 just to do the Sub line!

Another XC HST set is running today, this time working this mornings 2A01 0640 dundee to aberdeen service then works 1V60 0820 aberdeen to penzance

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Another XC HST set is running today, this time working this mornings 2A01 0640 dundee to aberdeen service then works 1V60 0820 aberdeen to penzance

Hooray!

About time a HST worked the longest passenger service, a HST is loads more appropriate than a voyager on that route.

Butts

Veteran Member
Hooray!

About time a HST worked the longest passenger service, a HST is loads more appropriate than a voyager on that route.

Agreed even I may be tempted off the plane on an Aberdeen to Plymouth if I had First Class on an HST.

Will it make the journey faster ?

calc7

Established Member
Agreed even I may be tempted off the plane on an Aberdeen to Plymouth if I had First Class on an HST.

No way! Voyagers go like sh*t off a shovel

starrymarkb

Established Member
I'd rather take the plane.... Don't find the seats in the XC HSTs comfortable (in fact I prefer the voyager ones)

Also suspect the HST is out because the diagrams are up the spout with the line shut west of Exeter...

Suspect there are a few Voyagers trapped on the wrong side of Exeter

richw

Veteran Member
Obviously it won't be going any further south than Bristol TM

I was just thinking the same having seen pictures of the track between taunton and Exeter on twitter. @fgw have posted numerous photos of the track, shouldnt think we will see a through train for a few days now!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Theres another set working to aberdeen tonight in the form of 1S45 0925 plymouth to aberdeen (will start at bristol temple meads) before forming the 2130 aberdeen to edinburgh service

paul1609

Established Member

I hope you're not still flying to Plymouth, the airport closed in 2011. Apparently its going to be a huge Chav estate.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The 0820 Aberdeen-Bristol Temple Meads is currently 32 down nearing Chesterfield, having been 2 late off Aberdeen. What's more is that it seems to be a gradual loss, going up by 1-4 mins per station, and not just one chunk - I wonder how much of that loss is due to it being a HST in lieu of a Voyager?

calc7

Established Member
The 0820 Aberdeen-Bristol Temple Meads is currently 32 down nearing Chesterfield, having been 2 late off Aberdeen. What's more is that it seems to be a gradual loss, going up by 1-4 mins per station, and not just one chunk - I wonder how much of that loss is due to it being a HST in lieu of a Voyager?

If you compare it with the Voyager running an hour ahead I'd say "all of it".
Lovely trains for enthusiasts but not so good in the real world.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ahem, you mean Virgin's warped perception of the "real world" that has landed Crosscountry with the present Voyager-orientated regime. There is nought wrong with HSTs in coping with the demands of the "real world", as is proven daily with East Coast, FGW, EMT and Grand Central, as well as on Crosscountry in regards other than point to point timings - Such as capacity and luggage space!

I cannot fathom out why everything that isn't a unit is rapidly becoming termed as an "enthusiasts train" on this forum. The German's have got it right (Lots of entirely sensible, non-nostalgic loco-hauled operation over there), they know what they're doing - and not just in regards to their trains, either.

Established Member
If you compare it with the Voyager running an hour ahead I'd say "all of it".
The Voyager in front is fifteen late at Cheltenham. All 28 minutes which have been attributed for the HST have gone down to other factors, nothing down to TOC (ie station time) or Traction (ie running times)...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I cannot fathom out why everything that isn't a unit is rapidly becoming termed as an "enthusiasts train" on this forum. The German's have got it right (Lots of entirely sensible, non-nostalgic loco-hauled operation over there), they know what they're doing - and not just in regards to their trains, either.
Behave, a HST is a unit. A glorified one, but one all the same ;)

Another two XC HST sets are working to aberdeen AGAIN, forming of 2A01/1V60 this morning and tonights 1S45/1B61.

paul1609

Established Member
Exeter will have to do :lol:

Which airline flies from Aberdeen to Exeter?
I would suggest that the commercially based airlines have deemed that in the current financial situation no market exists.
Why the rail industry is still providing a through service is beyond me.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Like most of XC, I don't think it's solely for that purpose, the Aberdeen-Penzance etc routes are to provide for lots of local flows across the land, it's just that it so happens to connect the two places so far apart.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Which airline flies from Aberdeen to Exeter?
I would suggest that the commercially based airlines have deemed that in the current financial situation no market exists.
Why the rail industry is still providing a through service is beyond me.

Flybe with a connection in Manchester. So not enough demand to operate a direct Dash 8 400 (70 seat) profitably (and the Dash breaks even at about 50% full)

From Bristol you have Eastern Airlines but it operates with a stop in Leeds... Think EZY might do a daily A319 though

The Flights from the SW to the Central Belt (EDI and GLA) are busy though. Exeter is twice daily to Edinburgh and Bristol has 3 A319s per day to both EDI and GLA (timed to make a day trip possible) - the Bristol flights are very busy!

Butts

Veteran Member
Flybe with a connection in Manchester. So not enough demand to operate a direct Dash 8 400 (70 seat) profitably (and the Dash breaks even at about 50% full)

From Bristol you have Eastern Airlines but it operates with a stop in Leeds... Think EZY might do a daily A319 though

The Flights from the SW to the Central Belt (EDI and GLA) are busy though. Exeter is twice daily to Edinburgh and Bristol has 3 A319s per day to both EDI and GLA (timed to make a day trip possible) - the Bristol flights are very busy!

Flybe also fly to Newquay (indirectly) so thats another option .

With the break even figures for the Dash what is the assumption about the level of fare paid ?

starrymarkb

Established Member

With the break even figures for the Dash what is the assumption about the level of fare paid ?

Not sure I'm afraid, but those are the figures I've heard for the type in General...

paul1609

Established Member

Im a pretty frequent domestic flyer but the only time Ive ever used a connecting flight is to the Scottish Islands, whilst I realise that these bizarre connections are shown on Flybes website I'm sceptical that theres any more than a handful of people that ever use them.
Likewise Im extremely dubious that theres more than a handful of mostly trainspotters who use these trains long distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.