• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC to get 153's

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLoaf

Hi all,

I heard somewhere that XC are due to get class 153's to run their Birmingham - Leicester local stopper service.

Does anyone know which 153's they will be ?
When they will come into service ?

Also at present the XX.09 arrival from Leicester into Birmingham goes out as the XX.24 Stansted. The xx.47 in from Stansted goes out as the XX.54 to Leicester.

Will this pattern continue, if it does we will see 153's on the Stansted route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I really hope that these wont be used to stanstead, they're totally unsuitable! Will these be run on their own or just to strengthen services?

Phoenix

Established Member
I really hope that these wont be used to stansted, they're totally unsuitable! Will these be run on their own or just to strengthen services?

They won't do stansted runs that would be slightly silly as it's over 100 just one way but im sure that they will be used to either run as extras or to boost some 2 car sets to three car as these can sometimes be found on runs which need a lot more capacity but I could be wrong but I think it will be the first regular service for a 153 on this line.

AlexS

Established Member
There's always been 153s running up to Leicester and beyond from Birmingham. In this case however I would think if they do go to XC they'd be for strengthening only.

Phoenix

Established Member
There's always been 153s running up to Leicester and beyond from Birmingham. In this case however I would think if they do go to XC they'd be for strengthening only.

Since when I have been spotting at Water Orton for the last year and I havent seen one they only use 170's and the odd voyager so If there ever has been it was before the 170's came into action.

Established Member
Yes you'd hope for strengthening given the rather nasty overcrowding on the Leicester line!

A quick check of the logs shows they were working the route in 2001 as I had one Leicester-Nuneaton coming back from the GCR. In those days of Central Trains anything went anywhere!!

AlexS

Established Member
Since when I have been spotting at Water Orton for the last year and I havent seen one they only use 170's and the odd voyager so If there ever has been it was before the 170's came into action.

Then it would be because you are a newbie sir!

Central Trains dogboxes used to run absolutely anywhere and everywhere - there was even a summer Saturday Skegness to Aberystwyth booked for a 153!

I get almost nostalgic for the days when no matter what service you travelled on, you had absolutely no idea what would be appearing because it would be whatever Tyseley kicked off the depot first!

LilLoaf

I heard the 153's would possiably work in pairs all day not just to strenghening some services.

This is been done to make 170's available to do the runs to the Airport and back.

They have to re-think the timetable for the Leicester local stoppers. Surely they carn't have them stand at New Street from XX.09 when they come of one Leicester to XX.54 when they go back out again.

AlexS

Established Member
That's based on the old Central Trains timetable - arrivals from Stansted Airport would form a train to Shrewsbury having arrived at xx48 going out at xx57, and arrivals from Shrewsbury at xx48 would then form xx54 Leicester service.

Obviously making it self contained made things a bit harder.

me123

Established Member
I can just see an HST being replaced by a 153! :shock:

laseandre

Established Member
That would slow the services as 153s are 75 mph max, but Turbostars are 100 mph.

LilLoaf

That would slow the services as 153s are 75 mph max, but Turbostars are 100 mph.

I'm not sure but i think the Birmingham - Leicester services are timed to take around 75MPH as they are stop start

Personelly i think its a very good idea it will make more 170's available to do the Cardiff - Nottingham and other routes.

me123

Established Member
Personelly i think its a very good idea it will make more 170's available to do the Cardiff - Nottingham and other routes.

I agree with this, however I am slightly worried. Sure the 153 can couple to existing rolling stock and to each other to provide possibly the most flexible MUs around, but I bet it's not long until 153s are running in single car formation, whether they are diagrammed to or simply because of consequences and overcrowding results.

I hope XC prove me wrong!!!

The Planner

Veteran Member
I'm not sure but i think the Birmingham - Leicester services are timed to take around 75MPH as they are stop start

Nothing is ever timed to take around a certain speed. Running times are calculated on line speed and the capabilities of the unit, if its a 170 it'll be timed as a 170, a 153 is timed as a 153.

LilLoaf

The idea of attaching a 170 to a 153 is a bit daft in my opinion. It'll be a nice, new, clean, and referbished unit on the front and a old, dirty, tin rocket on the back. Doesn't really make much sence really. It would be better if a 170 was attached to another 170 and a 153 to another 153. Also London Midland had trouble coupling a 170 to a 153 before a few times. They don't connect very well. I'm not sure why.

As me123 correctly states i do hope they are paired up otherwise overcrowding will take place. The very reason they were brought in to stop.

djw1981

Established Member
I thoiught that teh 153's had been refurbed by EMT or was just a paint job.

LilLoaf

EMT i think they just pained them and slapped their name everwhere

Manchester - Plymouth on a 153 - that sounds fun.

Well FGW have helped Virgin out by putting a 150 on their 14.05 Paignton- Newcastle as far as Exeter before, same sort thing on a Plymouth - Scotland train but only as far as Bristol.

alex57601

I can just see an HST being replaced by a 153! :shock:

Or a 153 being kicked out on a BNS-Aberdeen or an Edinburgh-Bournemouth run :shock:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The idea of attaching a 170 to a 153 is a bit daft in my opinion. It'll be a nice, new, clean, and referbished unit on the front and a old, dirty, tin rocket on the back. Doesn't really make much sence really. It would be better if a 170 was attached to another 170 and a 153 to another 153. Also London Midland had trouble coupling a 170 to a 153 before a few times. They don't connect very well. I'm not sure why.

As me123 correctly states i do hope they are paired up otherwise overcrowding will take place. The very reason they were brought in to stop.

I can't understand the decision to make LM use 153 attached to 170s. Wouldn't it have been easier to swap some of the XC 153s for some LM 170s instead so that LM could run pairs of 153s and AXC get more suitable rolling stock.

Or how about LM placing an order for additional 172s to get rid of both 153s and 170s completely so that they get a standard DMU fleet, and the units released cascaded elsewhere for vital extra capacity?

Oh wait, it's too simple! :roll:

LilLoaf

I don't think London Midland want to loose any 170's. Seems like a good idea to me like, but like you said its too simple.

Coradia

Strage to think that an intercity TOC using sprinters, I think it would be daft for a combo with a 170, two very diferent classes of train and both suited to different operations.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Is there actually any evidence for this whatsoever ?

I only ask cos I read this on Wikipedia about a week ago, and then this flashed up. Having searched over the interweb, I can't find any evidence to support or disprove this.

P156KWJ

Established Member
EMT i think they just pained them and slapped their name everwhere

Incorrect - 153302 has been refurbished. Secondly, who gives two f***s what train it is, it's a train int it :???:
LilLoaf said:
Manchester - Plymouth on a 153 - that sounds fun.

That won't happen, the drivers don't have combined route / traction knowledge and the trains have absolutely no relation to the HST / Voyager pool.

LilLoaf said:
Well FGW have helped Virgin out by putting a 150 on their 14.05 Paignton- Newcastle as far as Exeter before, same sort thing on a Plymouth - Scotland train but only as far as Bristol.

froth. Sounds like duff gen to me!

TEW

Established Member
Incorrect - 153302 has been refurbished. Secondly, who gives two f***s what train it is, it's a train int it :???:

That won't happen, the drivers don't have combined route / traction knowledge and the trains have absolutely no relation to the HST / Voyager pool.

froth. Sounds like duff gen to me!
Was infact a 142 that worked Plymouth-Bristol Temple Medas, headcode 9 train as well.

BlueGrey

I'm a bit surprised at this daft comment. You wouldn't mind if all the GCN rolling stock was removed and replaced with 153s then?

P156KWJ

Established Member
that's preservation, where people come to ride behind certain traction. On the mainline, passengers don't know the difference between a 170 or a 153. They want extra room, they get extra room.

LilLoaf

Is there actually any evidence for this whatsoever ?

I only ask cos I read this on Wikipedia about a week ago, and then this flashed up. Having searched over the interweb, I can't find any evidence to support or disprove this.

I don't know about the internet but i read about it a Rail Mag. It was an artical on where all the DMU's and EMU's are going to cascaded to.

**Please Note - its not the artical in the Todays Railways mag a few month ago. Things have changed a little in the DMU who gets what debate. ***

I think it might be a rail one, i hunt out the issue and let you know which one its in.

Jim

Established Member
Was infact a 142 that worked Plymouth-Bristol Temple Medas, headcode 9 train as well.

142067 - 06.25 ex Plymouth IIRC. If my records are correct 4th August. Web Gemini could be your friend - if Mr. Sulzer thinks thats duff!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.