• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC: Turbostar covering for Voyager (and visa versa?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I'm currently on an XC service from Manchester Piccadilly to Southampton, which is formed of 170117 and '113 instead of a Voyager. This is due to a fatality at Fenny Compton, and we'll be turfed off at Birmingham New Street onto a connecting train to Southampton.

Have 170s worked to Manchester before on XC? Also, has a Voyager ever covered for a Turbostar on the Stansted / Cardiff services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There is a clip on YouTube of an XC 170 at Picadilly, covering for a Voyager, so it has happened before. I think a Voyager once covered for a 170 on a Birmingham to Leicester local, but I can't find any pics or videos online.

Established Member
I'm currently on an XC service from Manchester Piccadilly to Southampton, which is formed of 170117 and '113 instead of a Voyager. This is due to a fatality at Fenny Compton, and we'll be turfed off at Birmingham New Street onto a connecting train to Southampton.

Have 170s worked to Manchester before on XC? Also, has a Voyager ever covered for a Turbostar on the Stansted / Cardiff services?

It was covered a few months back on here, I think there have been two recorded workings of 170s to Manchester vice Voyagers, one of which was last year.

In answer to your last question, we very occasionally get 220s on Birmingham to Leicester local services, and I have seen a Voyager at Nottingham at about 16:30 before on one of the Nottingham services. It is rare though. They haven't worked to Stansted as far as I'm aware.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
[youtube]k7S9wDps1uI[/youtube]

August 2013.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that the 220s aren't cleared east of Manton, so sending one east of Leicester would be illogical. I'm not 100% sure though.

NSE

Established Member
People often ask this. The general opinion is that Turbostars will occasionally run from Brum to Manchester and Voyagers will fill in as far as Leicester. After this I believe that they aren't cleared. Other stuff can happen ad hoc I believe

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Via Leicester is the diversionary route from Birmingham to Derby, and Nottingham has a regular Voyager turn on the 0638ish to Bournemouth.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
And Lichfield City for XC. For a week in February Cardiff to Nottinghams will be running via Sutton Park due Engineering Work.

Crossover

Established Member
Up to Manchester seems to be a semi-regular occurrence for the 170's, and it has happened for years (I have a pic of one leaving Crewe towards Manchester in 2010/2011). Less often I think a HST could also end up at Picc too.

With the Turbos, as you suggest, they get set swapped at New St if the diagram is part of a longer distance service.

I don't believe Voyagers are cleared to go into Stansted at all

Manchester77

Established Member
When 170s work up to MAN doesn't it normally terminate at Birmingham with passengers transferred onto a voyager for the rest of the journey?

trolleyman

2nd time within a week. Before long the whole 170 fleet will reach Manchester covering for a voyager.

There were rumours 170s could be used fully MAN-BRI during off peak times

MCR247

Established Member
I somehow doubt that! What would the point be since it'd just mean running the voyagers on Nottingham - Birmingham/Cardiff

Mugby

Established Member
Presumably when it becomes necessary to substitute them to Manchester, one unit is better than nothing obviously, but two 170's are preferable. What are the crewing arrangements for two units?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Voyager at Leicester.

Attachments

• WP_000130.jpg
    WP_000130.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 81

dannypye9999

I think the last service from Birmingham to Nottingham is a voyager which will be the Bournemouth forming service next morning.

Tomnick

Established Member
I don't think XC stable anything at all at Nottingham or Derby overnight. The Planner's version of events sounds right to me!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think XC stable anything at all at Nottingham or Derby overnight. The Planner's version of events sounds right to me!

You are of course correct. :D The Turbos are stabled at Leicester overnight and ECS moves to Notts in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.