• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

cactustwirly

Established Member
Maybe try doing a 4 car set all the way from Birmngham to Plymouth before feeling too hard done by yes? That's 3 and a half hours stood by a toilet. At least on the south coast route, most people are not on board for quite so long. In my experience there are plenty of doubled up voyagers on the south coast route anyway. Yes, it appears a busy route, BUT, most of the journeys are around about an hour or so. The south west route has a lot more 2 or 3 hour journeys on it. But we still have not enough double sets and feel the poor relation out west.
There are no booked double sets on the south coast route, and the vast majority are only 4 cars

The sooner the voyagers are sent to Newport to be crushed the better. They are inefficient and have no redeeming features.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There are no booked double sets on the south coast route, and the vast majority are only 4 cars

The sooner the voyagers are sent to Newport to be crushed the better. They are inefficient and have no redeeming features.
I think we can take it from the plans that it won’t be anytime soon.

GoneSouth

To be left with 0 cars instead of 4 presumably?

They do have redeeming features, when you get a seat they’re comfortable, and more importantly they get me to where I want to go rather than having nothing to replace them with.

cactustwirly

Established Member
You’d sooner have no train then?

Well I'd rather have a 800 which has large overhead storage and has a decent layout so it has a lot more seats.
A 5 car 800 has almost double the capacity of a 221
Or even the 810s that EMR are getting

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Well I'd rather have a 800 which has large overhead storage and has a decent layout so it has a lot more seats.

As far as I’m aware fleet replacement for the XC Voyagers is not even under consideration so extra and refurbished voyagers seems the next best option no?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well you can’t have one as they’re being used elsewhere, and CrossCountry aren’t interested in ordering any :lol:

Carlisle

Established Member
Good luck trying to cut any extra window holes into a 24 year old Steel Monocoque body. Although the shop removal may have given XC some additional extra luggage and cycle space, there’s a lot not removed behind those panels including as mentioned above the Exhaust pipe, an Air Conditioning unit and various other bits of equipment - even the wall panels along the cycle side weren’t changed. I think modifying the Voyagers to that extent is a no-goer now.
So in hindsight the shop’s removal was a complete waste of time given most customers probably preferred its wider choice of stock compared to a trolley anyway.

AJDesiro

So in hindsight the shop’s removal was a complete waste of time given most customers probably preferred its wider choice of stock compared to a trolley anyway.
The vast majority of passengers aren’t going to use a buffet for fear of losing their seat or getting their belongings stolen, and that’s assuming they can even walk down the train to the buffet in the first place.

I myself would rather a buffet, but it’s unrealistic in this day and age when overcrowding and ASB levels are so high.

class397tpe

Would it be more valuable to split the 8 car 222s into the 4 car ones? So you have 21 5 car and 4 7 car which could be used on fixed formations?
I was thinking a single 8 car would have similar capacity to a 4+5, rather than a 7 car which has much less capacity than a 10 car. Narrowing the gap for consistency.

I doubt XC would be able to get all the 220, 221 and 222s
Agreed, it’ll never happen. But it does show just how many trains XC would need if it were to double up all services.

geoffk

Established Member
Any idea when the former Avanti Voyagers are coming into service with XC? (I think this is relevant to a thread about refurbishment).

class397tpe

I
Shop would be difficult but I'm curious how structural the toilets are. Cutting holes for windows is obviously a no go but you could potentially slot in a space saver toilet and luggage storage in the current disabled toilet inside space, then stick seats in the current luggage stacks.

Something like this could be interesting:

View attachment 152989
I like this idea - would increase standing space in the vestibule too. Could replace the existing luggage stacks with longitudinal seating to create a small standing area.

Having larger stacks like these in most coaches would ensure better utilisation.

Towers

Established Member

In fairness, I believe they’re considered very reliable and that’s certainly a redeeming feature in most people’s eyes!

Doubles do run on the S Coast, although I’ve no idea if/how they’re digrammed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any idea when the former Avanti Voyagers are coming into service with XC? (I think this is relevant to a thread about refurbishment).
From their track access application, phased in between June 2024 and June 2025:
“We are expanding the size of our fleet with the acquisition of additional Class 221 Voyagers with the first sets entering service from the commencement of the June 2024 timetable. These will improve our total passenger capacity provided by our timetable in phases, with the largest increase aligning with the May 2025 timetable change.”

sprinterguy

Established Member
There are two all day diagrams for double sets on the South Coast route. South of Birmingham, these cover:

1O08 07:25 Manchester - Bournemouth
1O24 15:25 Manchester - Bournemouth

1M34 08:40 Bournemouth - Manchester
1M50 12:45 Bournemouth - Manchester

fgwrich

Established Member
Maybe try doing a 4 car set all the way from Birmngham to Plymouth before feeling too hard done by yes? That's 3 and a half hours stood by a toilet. At least on the south coast route, most people are not on board for quite so long. In my experience there are plenty of doubled up voyagers on the south coast route anyway. Yes, it appears a busy route, BUT, most of the journeys are around about an hour or so. The south west route has a lot more 2 or 3 hour journeys on it. But we still have not enough double sets and feel the poor relation out west.
So us on the South coast should remain the poor relations on the XC network then? Cheers. I've had many trips where I and many other passengers have travelled standing up from Southampton / Winchester / Basingstoke / Reading to Birmingham. With only two booked double diagrams, the rest of our services are also single handedly ran by single Voyagers, with an hourly service to boot. At least until recently on your side you had the luxury of the HSTs to boost capacity, we didn't and have been further hard done by by the withdrawal of those and the reduction of doubled up Voyagers from our side to pay for that. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see in the linked document that the 220s are to be completed first. Presumably it'll be so the Avanti 221s could be done to match when they transfer over.

Trainman40083

From their track access application, phased in between June 2024 and June 2025:
“We are expanding the size of our fleet with the acquisition of additional Class 221 Voyagers with the first sets entering service from the commencement of the June 2024 timetable. These will improve our total passenger capacity provided by our timetable in phases, with the largest increase aligning with the May 2025 timetable change.”
I'm sure I have seen somewhere that 3 Voyagers will be refurbished at a time. Then one hopes at the time they start, they have more than 3 ex AWC Voyagers to cover, else it will be 2025/2026 before we see improvement...well assuming they have adequate train crew.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm sure I have seen somewhere that 3 Voyagers will be refurbished at a time. Then one hopes at the time they start, they have more than 3 ex AWC Voyagers to cover, else it will be 2025/2026 before we see improvement...well assuming they have adequate train crew.
Post #65. The screenshot therein says 2/3 units at a time.

irish_rail

Established Member
So us on the South coast should remain the poor relations on the XC network then? Cheers. I've had many trips where I and many other passengers have travelled standing up from Southampton / Winchester / Basingstoke / Reading to Birmingham. With only two booked double diagrams, the rest of our services are also single handedly ran by single Voyagers, with an hourly service to boot. At least until recently on your side you had the luxury of the HSTs to boost capacity, we didn't and have been further hard done by by the withdrawal of those and the reduction of doubled up Voyagers from our side to pay for that. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see in the linked document that the 220s are to be completed first. Presumably it'll be so the Avanti 221s could be done to match when they transfer over.
But my point is the journey times are generally going to be longer on the south west axis and this is the reason why if there are double sets , that's the route they should be on. Yes we did used to have the luxury of a couple of HSTs a day where you could more or less guarantee a seat, but that luxury is very much gone and not coming back. Of course its not an ideal situation, and it's not as if there are countless double sets on the SW route, we have loads of 4 car sets on our hourly service. If only XC had the kind of clout the London headed TOCs have we wouldn't be in this mess.

Carlisle

Established Member
The vast majority of passengers aren’t going to use a buffet for fear of losing their seat or getting their belongings stolen, and that’s assuming they can even walk down the train to the buffet in the first place.
Maybe your right, however LNER & Avanti for example who’ve retained Buffet counters that as far as I’m aware are still trading reasonably well doesn’t particularly endorse that view .

Last edited:

Russel

Maybe your right, but LNER & Avanti for example who’ve retained Buffet counters that are still trading reasonably well doesn’t really endorse that view .

XC Have a much more severe overcrowding problem.

I had to tell my 7 year old he couldn't have a drink today as I knew there would be no way of getting anywhere near the toilet when he inevitably needed it so you can forget about walking to the buffet.

AJDesiro

Maybe your right, however LNER & Avanti for example who’ve retained Buffet counters that as far as I’m aware are still trading reasonably well doesn’t really endorse that view .
I agree that LNER and Avanti have a successful buffet, I regularly use Avanti and enjoy using the shop. However, they don’t have as bad of an issue with overcrowding, which helps keep seats safe. The ideal solution could likely be an at seat order system and a buffet (or just a trolley and buffet), but it’s not like you can walk down a voyager half the time!

Mike Machin

Trying to travel with Cross Country simply became a real test of endurance and was more trouble than it was worth. Eventually every single journey I undertook between Birmingham International and Southampton Parkway involved standing, sometimes literally squashed so tightly it was impossible to move, all the way from Brum to Reading and sometimes Basingstoke.

I tried to persevere, I really did, but eventually I gave up.

Coincidentally, the only other route I regularly used was from Romsey to Bristol TM and that was just as bad!

I love the idea of travelling by train, but now I drive everywhere and other than heritage lines and miniature railways, I haven’t travelled by train for over five years. If I could still have the flexibility of ‘walk-up’ fares and a guaranteed seat I would be back without hesitation, but unless trains can routinely be provided with comfortably enough seats and a few to spare as a matter of course, then unfortunately it’s the car for me.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this is a Traction and Rolling Stock thread to discuss XC Voyager Refurbishment. If anyone wants to discuss anything else such as fleet deployment then they are welcome to start a new thread elsewhere.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
What short memories people have!

The single biggest problem from day one with the Voyagers themselves (as distinct from the timetable they were run on) was lack of luggage space. It proved in short order to be hopelessly inadequate for the leisure journeys that dominate XC. In the first summer of the Voyagers, Virgin XC laid on a road luggage service for selected routes because there wasn’t enough space for the suitcases people wanted to bring.

Removing the shops and replacing them with luggage storage was Arriva/First Class Partnerships’ direct response to that. It’s why Voyagers have stickers on the outside pointing to this area as a place for luggage.

The Arriva era at XC has been hopelessly unambitious and operationally not great, but in this case I think they got the right idea.

AndrewJM70

@Mike Machin. I don’t travel with them anymore for the same reason and another reason why I made my point that they should stop messing around and replace the entire fleet. 6 or 7 coach 800s would treble capacity over the 4 coach Voyagers so you would not actually need to double up.