• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Xplore Dundee

kez19

Established Member
Update on strikes (again)... posted on twitter at 1730.... bit later on site
update

Following further, constructive discussions between Xplore Dundee and Unite the Union this week, we are pleased to announce that strike action has been suspended.​

Full-frequency timetables will resume on our busiest routes with effect from Tuesday 27 June - and we also look forward to reopening the Travel Centre, and reinstating school buses in Dundee, along with services 2, 6 and 23.

Some journeys may be subject to cancellation whilst colleagues get back out on the road on their normal duties - but we'll work hard to keep any disruptions to a minimum. Our aim is to be fully back to normal timetables again by Tuesday afternoon or, at the latest, Wednesday morning. As usual, we'll keep you updated on all our channels (on our website, in the app and on digital screens in bus shelters).

We appreciate the patience and understanding you've shown us whilst we've dealt with these challenges this week. As ever, our commitment is to keeping you moving. We look forward to having all our buses out and about again soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roadierway77

Some small improvements have been announced:

The next steps of our journey in Dundee​

Today Thu 29th Jun 2023

making your buses better icon

We are excited to build a better Xplore Dundee - not just as an employer, but as your local service provider too. This isn’t about words, it’s about actions.​

Thanks for bearing with us over the last few weeks. It’s fair to say that it’s been difficult for us all but especially for you - our customers. We are sorry if you were caught up in any disruption. Now, we look forward to a better future as we focus on what we are here to do: the best possible job we can for the people of Dundee.
So here’s a summary of our plans and commitments going forward…
  • Six newer, dedicated double-deck buses introduced on the 1 to St Marys - which will mean higher, consistent standards and more seats on this busy route.
  • Lower emissions across the fleet. The newer buses on the 1 (along with a further two) will mean older vehicles can be withdrawn. These newer buses are to Euro VI standard, with 96% less NOx pollutants than the vehicles they replace.
  • A more consistent approach to how we plan and allocate our double-deck and single-deck buses, meaning we provide the right capacity at the right times.
  • We’ll begin to progress improvements to our shop at Commercial Street in the city centre to make buying tickets and getting information as easy as possible.
  • Improving our Fly coach connection to Edinburgh Airport – we know there is a need for an improved booking system and keeping you posted of any disruption.
  • A new commitment to enhanced information at busy stops and on buses, with paper maps and timetables more widely distributed.
  • We will progress through a network development plan as we consider step-by-step increases to frequencies to drive more people to use the bus.
  • A long-term wage deal that will pay up to £31,000 a year to drivers from 2024.
  • Continued improvements to our working environment and fresh commitments now made between ourselves and Unite, our trade union.
  • And, finally, a fresh new identity that will be gradually introduced across our fleet, which sums up the continual journey of improvement we are on in a city we love to serve.
We hope this illustrates our passion for making things better for you. As ever, we don’t always necessarily have all the best ideas, which is why we want to hear any of your views and suggestions too – email [email protected] to get in touch.

Looks like the ex-London E400s will be primarily taking up home on the 1. Paper timetables returning as well.

kez19

Established Member
Some small improvements have been announced:

Looks like the ex-London E400s will be primarily taking up home on the 1. Paper timetables returning as well.

Then give it time those buses will be spread across the other routes.

I noticed today what seems to be (at a guess) it looks like they have taken off the vinyls on the buses allocated what use to be the "5/9/10 Outer Circle" route as I have counted 2 today without those vinyls on them.

Regarding allocating double deckers, i've noticed especially on schooldays the 17 needs the double deckers on that route (I think the bus from Ninewells is 0748, Perth Road its meant to be there about 0812 sometimes does not turn up til 0815-0820), the times I have used the bus from Perth Road to Whitfield where its allocated a single and including school traffic it needs to be a double decker (well Mon-Fri), just to add plus that bus doesn't get into Whitfield terminus at one point til 0910 (timetable states 0859 at The Crescent but I have used this bus and it has happened a couple times).

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
The first 3 of the batch of 20 ex London (RATP) ADL E400s that the McGill’s Group purchased, have now entered service in the Xplore Dundee version of the new style livery. They are 8975/6/8 (YX62BJZ/BLZ/BBZ), and the normal allocation is expected to be service 1.
There are a further 5 to follow, which will complete the full batch of 20 for McGill’s - with the other 12 at Scotland East.

kez19

Established Member
The first 3 of the batch of 20 ex London (RATP) ADL E400s that the McGill’s Group purchased, have now entered service in the Xplore Dundee version of the new style livery. They are 8975/6/8 (YX62BJZ/BLZ/BBZ), and the normal allocation is expected to be service 1.
There are a further 5 to follow, which will complete the full batch of 20 for McGill’s - with the other 12 at Scotland East.

I seen one yesterday from afar parked at Courthouse Square about 1000-1010 and designated St Mary’s but I think they’ll eventually be moved onto other routes over time (or on Sundays), as the electric and the emerald buses are on different routes.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
It seems not much has been happening on the Dundee side of McGill's recently, apart from the Discover Dundee tour very quietly being dropped to operate hourly (vice half-hourly).

Stan Drews

Established Member
It seems not much has been happening on the Dundee side of McGill's recently, apart from the Discover Dundee tour very quietly being dropped to operate hourly (vice half-hourly).
A further 3 of the ex London E400s are now in service - 8965/77/80 (YX62BPZ/BPF/BGF). The vast majority of the older Volvo B7TLs are now parked up, with largely just the 7 that were upgraded to Euro6 emission levels remaining in use. Other than that …not much happening!

kez19

Established Member
A further 3 of the ex London E400s are now in service - 8965/77/80 (YX62BPZ/BPF/BGF). The vast majority of the older Volvo B7TLs are now parked up, with largely just the 7 that were upgraded to Euro6 emission levels remaining in use. Other than that …not much happening!

It didn’t take long for the new(ish) buses to now appear on other routes, I seen one of them on the 22 today.

In terms of buses I wonder why we never got the Gemini 2/3 let alone streetdecks up this way (the Dundee operation to me regardless who owns I feel more let down in the investment, it feels like Dundee falls behind, I’m saying this prior to the electric buses and the previous E400H buses.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
It didn’t take long for the new(ish) buses to now appear on other routes, I seen one of them on the 22 today.

In terms of buses I wonder why we never got the Gemini 2/3 let alone streetdecks up this way (the Dundee operation to me regardless who owns I feel more let down in the investment, it feels like Dundee falls behind, I’m saying this prior to the electric buses and the previous E400H buses.
Tbf National Express tended to prioritise the Birmingham depots when they owned Xplore. The B7RLEs that some of the Black Country depots and Dundee had were only becuase the B10s were getting to near the end of life.

kez19

Established Member
Tbf National Express tended to prioritise the Birmingham depots when they owned Xplore. The B7RLEs that some of the Black Country depots and Dundee had were only becuase the B10s were getting to near the end of life.

It was a pattern I did notice, but to me I was surprised to look at let's say Lothian buses having an updated fleet (or to an extent like Go North East) having an updated fleet but in Dundee it just looked more of stuck in the past.

I also remember when they had brought some of those up; even they too didn't last long in Dundee. They were to be either sold/scrapped, much like the Plaxton Presidents that also had a short life when brought up (yet if memory serves me rightly NX painted one of the presidents in the current colour scheme to then be scrapped/sold).

Last edited by a moderator:

Fundee on Tay

Does anyone have any photos of the ex-London E400s… Not seen any and wondering how much of an upgrade has been made (has the new livery been applied, do they still have roller blinds?)

Ancelljb

Does anyone have any photos of the ex-London E400s… Not seen any and wondering how much of an upgrade has been made (has the new livery been applied, do they still have roller blinds?)
Here's a link to the Flickr page for YX62 BLZ, one of the ex-London examples: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=YX62BLZ or "YX62 BLZ"&sort=date-taken-desc

The new vehicles do have the new livery and LED displays, not sure if the interiors have been updated since their London days but the page shows a couple of photos of what that looks like now too.

*note that these photos are not mine so I have linked to the relevant flickr pages rather than copying them into here.

Bus Lightyear

It was a pattern I did notice, but to me I was surprised to look at let's say Lothian buses having an updated fleet (or to an extent like Go North East) having an updated fleet but in Dundee it just looked more of stuck in the past.
Quite a substantial number of Dundee's fleet is from 68 to 71 reg. The newest bus was delivered around the same time as Lothian's newest bus except the demonstrator.

I cant comment on Go North East.

kez19

Established Member
Quite a substantial number of Dundee's fleet is from 68 to 71 reg. The newest bus was delivered around the same time as Lothian's newest bus except the demonstrator.

I cant comment on Go North East.

The reason I mentioned GNE was when I go to Newcastle they have various buses (ok some are second hand and ironically ex Lothian buses), it was mostly Newcastle I had seen the updated Geminis and I did wonder if we would see them in Dundee(obviously not), and the closest that Xplore DUndee got to an Gemini 2 was when they had them on the Dundee tour to then now be shafted to Edinburgh..

Last edited:

EMU303

Residents of a Dundee street had to leave their homes after a bus crashed into a block of flats and the building was evacuated.

Emergency services were called out to Blackness Avenue after receiving reports of the incident at around 11.25pm on Saturday.

Police said one man was taken to hospital.

The building was evacuated as a precaution and Blackness Avenue remains closed while an investigation is under way.

A Police Spokesperson said: “Around 11.25pm on Saturday police received a report a bus had crashed into a building in Blackness Avenue in Dundee.

“Emergency services attended and one man was taken to hospital.

“The building was evacuated as a precaution and Blackness Avenue remains closed as further enquiry is carried out.”

Last edited by a moderator:

kez19

Established Member

Reminds me of the other incident back in 2004!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3708506.stm

Three people had what was described as a miraculous escape after a bus ploughed into their Dundee home.
The driver and two passengers were taken to hospital after the accident in the north east of the city.

A couple and their 18-year-old son were in the house at the time, but were not injured in the crash.

Earlier, a passenger and a bus driver were injured after a vehicle crashed through a bus shelter and ended up in a garden in Aberdeen.

The single-decker had more than 20 people on board at the time of the accident in Bridge of Don at about 1145 BST on Friday.

Ricky Kane

Someone made a tiktok video about it and showed the damage. I would say it was a write-off.

MasterSpenny

kez19

Established Member
A Volvo BZL demo (BV23NNT) has turned up, for a trial by the looks of things

I wonder if (and its an if), they got more of these if successful to replace the Geminis?

It is getting round the operators, was recently at First South Yorkshire Olive Grove on 51

Didn't Lothian also have a loan of it too? (sure I have seen on Flickr), also see on Flickr been with Stagecoach too (with a green display)

kez19

Established Member
It's McGill's, they'll probably see this as what to get if the Yutong turns out to be underwhelming.

I know in Glasgow they have quite a lot of Yutong single deckers going around, I'm more surprised it ain't anything Mercedes!

Does anyone know if this bus thats been trialed here is going out on routes or will it just be confined to going on a run around? I remember they had the Optare double decker on the 23 circular awhile back prior to the electric buses coming in.

Stan Drews

Established Member
How long do bus trials last before any consideration?
Demonstrator buses, like this one, will usually stay with any one operator for a week, perhaps two. However, there aren’t any hard and fast rules, and much will depend on the level of demand that the manufacturers are receiving from operators.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
8974 is transferring from eastern Scottish xplore dundee according to bustimes.
It's also the bus used in the following graphic: https://twitter.com/alexhornbybus/status/1714888758602977743/photo/1
Our new recruitment campaign helps tell the stories of our people and how our company “did it for me”, showcasing our colleagues right across McGill’s Group and what working here means to them. We hope it inspires people to create their story with us and to join our team too.
F8yCPGbWEAA6Mn2
The same user has said all of the Eastern Scottish ones are going.