• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow sticker with X on train cab windows: what does it mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

crehld

Established Member
Every now and then I come across a train which has a yellow sticker in the cab window with a big cross or "X" marked on it. See the attached photo for an example. What does it mean? Is it some sort of sign to to the depot to say the train has a fault and needs looking into? Or perhaps an instruction to staff not to couple it to anything?

Attachments

• IMAG0804.jpg
    IMAG0804.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 443
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
NON-MULTI restriction. Not to be coupled to any other unit from this end. Probably a faulty coupler.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
NON-MULTI restriction. Not to be coupled to any other unit from this end. Probably a faulty coupler.

Or if found on a unit with jumpers, a defective multiple unit jumper cable or jumper receptacle. It'll probably be on there for weeks if it has jumpers!

Or in this case electrical connection box!

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Also possible is "Multi only" = this unit cannot work by itself and must only be used when part of a longer consist. Most commonly used in my experience for units that require a cab to be 'boxed in'. (And also most common on 153s!), although I'm not sure of the indicator in the window for that one.

dk1

Veteran Member
Also possible is "Multi only" = this unit cannot work by itself and must only be used when part of a longer consist. Most commonly used in my experience for units that require a cab to be 'boxed in'. (And also most common on 153s!), although I'm not sure of the indicator in the window for that one.

I have never heard of that for this question.

CatfordCat

This was fairly common on SWT's class 458 units before they got sent away to be turned in to 5 car units - not noticed it recently.

455driver

Veteran Member
I have never heard of that for this question.

We get multi only down here from time to time, it could be a faulty cab or more normally a faulty compressor so it can't maintain its own air pressure.

crehld

Established Member
Do the 333s do much work in multi?

Not in regular passenger service, no.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Our of interest, what does the multi only indicator / sign look like?

ExRes

Established Member

Absolutely, I simply cannot believe that anyone with a scintilla of common sense would use this symbol for more than one purpose, if they did it would be asking for nothing but trouble

HLE

Established Member

Doesn't happen to our dogboxes!

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Absolutely, I simply cannot believe that anyone with a scintilla of common sense would use this symbol for more than one purpose, if they did it would be asking for nothing but trouble
If TOC A uses it to mean non-multi and TOC B uses it to mean multi-only then it won't cause confusion.

TheManBehind

Normally will have the restriction written on it anyway to avoid said confusion. I recall seeing a white box with red cross when I had a "multiple only" 458 though.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If TOC A uses it to mean non-multi and TOC B uses it to mean multi-only then it won't cause confusion.

Quite. Only the drivers and shunters at the TOC actually need to understand its meaning; as long as it is only used for one thing at that TOC then there is no confusion. It doesn't matter if another TOC uses it for an opposite meaning; the only confusion may be with a driver that has transferred.

Also, there's an easy way for enthusiasts to tell what it means. If it's on the leading or trailing cab of a formation it almost certainly means "no multi". If it's on a boxed-in cab it means "multi only"

Last edited:

Loop & Link

We get multi only down here from time to time, it could be a faulty cab or more normally a faulty compressor so it can't maintain its own air pressure.

Similarly we use the term "Non-Split 6 car" two demic units coupled probably on half power, or the 'A' or 'B' car is dead, or defective cab buried (AWS fault etc). The majority of our 6 car services are usually two demics coupled :lol:

455driver

Veteran Member
Similarly we use the term "Non-Split 6 car" two demic units coupled probably on half power, or the 'A' or 'B' car is dead, or defective cab buried (AWS fault etc). The majority of our 6 car services are usually two demics coupled :lol:

I would need to use 3 units to make up six coaches, you posh buggers with your three coach units! ;) :lol:

Anecdote time-
When I were a guard I got on an 8 coach 455 with a non multi sign on one of the middle cabs, a quick call to control and I was given permission to remove it as it had been fixed but nobody had bothered to remove it.

I also had a 143 with non multi at both ends, when I asked what would happen if it broke down I was told not to break it! :lol:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Anecdote time-

I had a situation where I was preparing a unit and expecting to take an 8 car (4+4) into service but due to faults found one cab was MO and the other was NM

Went out 4 vice 8

Status
Not open for further replies.