• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yes you can !

Status
Not open for further replies.

letmedrive

:DThis is meant as a word of encouragement to everyone out there struggling through the recruitment process.

I applied for a job as a trainee depot driver in November last year. I probably didn't really realise what I was getting into if I'm honest. As time has passed I learnt that the job was far better and responsible than I had realised and MUCH better paid than I thought, the salary was not on the job 'ad'.

Anyway finally I am to start training in September.

My advice for anyone out there going through the same thing is research and work hard on this, its worth it. And don't give up even if it seems to take an age the TOC has to employ someone, why not you?

Good luck.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJDS

:DThis is meant as a word of encouragement to everyone out there struggling through the recruitment process.

I applied for a job as a trainee depot driver in November last year. I probably didn't really realise what I was getting into if I'm honest. As time has passed I learnt that the job was far better and responsible than I had realised and MUCH better paid than I thought, the salary was not on the job 'ad'.

Anyway finally I am to start training in September.

My advice for anyone out there going through the same thing is research and work hard on this, its worth it. And don't give up even if it seems to take an age the TOC has to employ someone, why not you?

Good luck.

please share with the group lol, depot? toc? experience of application?

letmedrive

FCC. Bedford Cauldwell.

The process is hard but I put in a ridiculous amount of time preparing, weather I could have done it with less I'll never know. To anyone who thinks they might wing it I say you won't.

The tests are difficult to sum up. They seem very well thought out and should identify a certain type of thinker, a logical mind and one who won't panic when something unpleasant hits the fan. If thats you and you have prepared well there is nothing to fear, you may even find some of them easy. For instance I think the bourdon test is a doddle, that doesn't make me clever its just the way my mind ticks. We are all different and weather someone with a mind that works differently could 'learn' to pass the tests I'm not educated enough to comment on. Does that make sense?

The main problem I found was the length of time it took. I usually don't do stress but for this I definately made an exception !

westcoaster

Established Member
FCC. Bedford Cauldwell.

The process is hard but I put in a ridiculous amount of time preparing, weather I could have done it with less I'll never know. To anyone who thinks they might wing it I say you won't.

The tests are difficult to sum up. They seem very well thought out and should identify a certain type of thinker, a logical mind and one who won't panic when something unpleasant hits the fan. If thats you and you have prepared well there is nothing to fear, you may even find some of them easy. For instance I think the bourdon test is a doddle, that doesn't make me clever its just the way my mind ticks. We are all different and weather someone with a mind that works differently could 'learn' to pass the tests I'm not educated enough to comment on. Does that make sense?

The main problem I found was the length of time it took. I usually don't do stress but for this I definately made an exception !

Well done and welcome to FCC, I'm sure I'll see you around soon.

387star

On Moderation
What test did you find hardest? most people say reactions or mechanical comp though the fault finding test is harder than people realise?

letmedrive

I felt the reaction test was by far the hardest. I am a little older than most that will do it and I felt that would be a disadvantage.

There are various reaction tests on the net that I practised and managed to get an 'average' result which was perhaps the most I could expect at my age (54). I also spent many happy hours on bopit and managed to get to the end a few times. But nothing I found was remotely similar to the actual test although anything that will sharpen you up must help. If you are a part of the playstation generation I can't imagine it would bother you much.

That is my advice really just work harder than the next applicant, thats all you can do.

Dano28

Congratulations! Am still waiting to hear after passing all stages, so this offers some reassurance...

When did you have your medical, remember reading a previous post of yours on it, how was it? Was it long after medical you got your offer of employment and start date?

Thanks

Dan

railman73

Well i would like to echo letmedrive. I also am now nearly at the end of what is a long and exhausting process!!

I have just completed all the tests and interviews and i am just waiting to be booked in for the medical...... the absolute final hurdle....!! :)

i cannot emphasize enough that preparation is everything - this is not a job you are going to waltz into.

There is plenty of information out there i suggest you make good use of it, make sure you know the company and i mean First group not just Scotrail, and get yourself round to a few stations.

Having said all that -- Best of luck to anyone going through the process!

Last edited:

newbie1000

Im gonna second this, i first applied back in december and finally i was given my start date, which is a while away but i think thats because theyre filling the numbers, im expecting my contract through the post anyday now, those who are applying, hang in there, itl be wirth it in the end

letmedrive

Dan,

The offer came about a week and a half after the medical, I think they have to wait a few days for the result of the drug test.

I don't suppose the medical is anything out of the ordinary but i've not done anything similar before so I have nothing to compare it with. From memory it was weight & height, hearing, eyesight, breathalyser for alcohol, ecg, blood pressure, urine for drugs and a fairly basic agility test.

AlexRostron

If you are a part of the playstation generation I can't imagine it would bother you much.

That is my advice really just work harder than the next applicant, thats all you can do.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree there, I am firmly a part of the playstation (xbox actually!) generation and my reactions are super fast but I still found the reaction test to be the hardest part of the assessment centre. You're right though everybody's mind work's differently.

I would say to work harder than the next applicant is great advice and I have been working hard for well over a year to get to the assessment centre (which I passed) and now have finally been called for interview with FGW this week.
Work hard, research everything, know the job and company you are applying for inside out and try to have patience. (believe me if I could do one thing differently it would be to have more patience because I got extremely stressed out waiting for a response from FGW!)

Still made it to the final stretch so I'll continue to plough on until I get to where I need to be. (at the controls of a HST!) :lol:

railman73

I think it's hard to say what tests are easier and which are harder...... I am also of the "playstation" generation (Not XBOX !! :D ) and I thought at the time the test was difficult, although when I got feedback after the test the assessor said "well I guess you found that easy...!"

I was told that the range of tests are specifically designed to find your strengths and weaknesses. No-one finds all the tests easy or difficult, and no-one does well in every test. They really are just pushing you to see your full range of abilities.

Make sure you practice the tests (although I must admit the practice materials that were sent out for the mechanical comprehension test were maybe not representative of the degree of difficulty of the actual test!)

And I will echo what I have said before and what everyone else has already said - make sure you know the First Group inside out! They want to see what kind of effort you have put in to research the role - so you need to make sure you have done more than the person sitting beside you !!

I have my medical confirmed for Monday so I’ll post back with (hopefully) the good news that I have an official start date!

Again, good luck to anyone going through this -- this is my second attempt after failing the interview 4 years ago (not doing enough research !!!!!)

387star

On Moderation
what sort of research did you do? obvious company statistics, values, objectives, aims, etc and routes, stations, geography?

railman73

ML - Know about First Group - where there operate, MD, awards etc. Know about Scotrail, about the franchise, how long operating, main routes, how many stations, awards won, services operated, how much of the rail they own, passenger numbers, reliability, punctuality, up and coming upgrades - just keep digging!! (And of course know who the MD is!) Get the info and learn it! What i did was make it all into a kind of marketing presentation - try to structure it into a kind of order -- imagine you have been asked to stand up and do a company presentation to new employees....... thats what i did -- the guy at the interview said he was really impressed with my knowledge - so the more you know the better!

I also went round a few stations - starting with my local, but also so of the bigger stations like Central and Waverly. Just ask at the barrier - they will show you where to go -- these guys are expecting it - they know the routine!

Here is where you'll get the insider knowledge, current campaigns for drivers, engineering works and maybe some tips for interviews!

Hope that helps

MacRae13

I also went round a few stations - starting with my local, but also so of the bigger stations like Central and Waverly. Just ask at the barrier - they will show you where to go -- these guys are expecting it - they know the routine!

Here is where you'll get the insider knowledge, current campaigns for drivers, engineering works and maybe some tips for interviews!

I'm a bit puzzled with this :oops: "Just ask at the barrier - they will show you where to go -- these guys are expecting it - they know the routine!"

I've read in other threads people saying to visit stations, and I wondered what was to be gained. And the above phrasing seems a bit cryptic?

MR_P

ML - What i did was make it all into a kind of marketing presentation - try to structure it into a kind of order -- imagine you have been asked to stand up and do a company presentation to new employees....... thats what i did -- the guy at the interview said he was really impressed with my knowledge - so the more you know the better!

Hope that helps

What an excellent tip! Must be a good way to help remember the information.
I'll certainly use this tip when the time comes.

railman73

Nerazzurri - I wasn't meant to be cryptic !! Just do exactly what i said -- if you go to the barriers at the main stations and simply explain that you have an interview for the position of train driver, they will usually take you to the offices where you will find a few drivers, maybe a DI or a DTM. These guys know the recruiting process and know that part of this is to go round stations a talk to drivers etc....

What you will gain will be the inside information which you won't find on any website -- for example the "yellow alert" or the "switched on to switched off" and also it shows that you are willing to put a bit of effort it and actually get off your ass and do the legwork! Remember you have to make yourself stand out more than the next person.......

Hope that clears it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.