• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yet Another Desktop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z12XE

Cockfosters said:
It is also impossible for me to do any schoolwork from home without using MS Windows and IE - something which I am most displeased about to say the least.

Ummm, why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
The remote access system is the default Windoze Server 2003 one - which, of course, will only let you use it with IE.

Z12XE

Not strictly true, Konquerer can pretend to be Internet Explorer (and i dont mean it'll happily accept all kind of trojans and infections within minutes of being opened!)

Chris

Myself, I use XP with no probs. As long as you don't mess around with the settings, registry, and don't use IE, then its fine.
I used to mess around with registry and got all sorts of trouble, then had to do a clean install of XP. Bonus of that though, was getting another year out of the anti-virus subscription.

Anyway since this is a desktop topic, here is mine with Richard Armstrong's excellent sunset pic, very soothing I find.

Sprog

Established Member
Wow, some nice wallpapers there!

Can i just ask why there has to be a little b**ch fight about Windows XP and a hatred of Microsoft on a Desktop Screen Shot thread!!? :? :roll:

Anyway, heres my current Desktop layout and wallpaper...

Im using 1280*1024 res, with my Dell 17" TFT and correct Drivers (such a crisp image! :D )

OS is XP with SP2 and it works fine for me! I dont use IE often (MSN defults to it for opening my Hotmail :x ). Firefox is my defult web browser otherwise. Its bloody brilliant, and for anyone who hasnt got it. I suggest it!! :)

As for my claggin' 66513 wallpaper - unfortunatly it isnt one of mine :cry: :cry: , though i wish it was!! hehe :lol:

Gareth Hale

tubechallenger said:
Good news chaps, a payware Linux program called cedega is fully compatible with BVE, played with it today! :D

Plus - if you install SwiftShader when it comes out (cedega addon) - MSTS will work.

What does the desktop look like? It maybe worth getting as a second OS (duel boot)

T

Tom

Linux can look like anything, it could be like MS-DOS, or exactly like Windows. cedega is just a program *for* it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Personally, I prefer KDE, though Gnome has to be a close second, only for usability reasons.

Tom B

Established Member
(OT) Has anyone sucessfully managed a dual-boot XP/Linux setup? I've heard that for some it works fine, for others it's a nightmare, with XP being a naughty child trying to cling on to prominance.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It works fine on my Desktop at home, yes. Mandrake 10.1 I have been using for over a year (I think) now, it came with a HD partitioner with it, and also the system that lets me select what OS I want to chose at boot-up (LILO) is very customisable and user-friendly

Z12XE

You have to install Windows on the HDD first, then move Linux in after it, that way the Linux boot loader, either Grub or Lilo will overwrite the Windows one in the MBR and give you the choice.

Windows doesn't like to share, but Linux will quite happily

evil_hippo

hv9k3o.jpg

VERY DIFFICULT: tell me where this is and what type of train it is.

devon_metro

Established Member
Not sure, i found it from the south west weather thread where a fotopic site is given. Very nice picture it is too!

Status
Not open for further replies.