• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

YORK NRM Great Gathering

Status
Not open for further replies.

StripeyNick

My girlfriend & I popped in on our way back from Scotland. We went in the other entrance (not the one by the station) and walked straight in.
Granted there were loads of people around when we arrived but managed to hang around 'til closing time and managed to get a couple of relatively people free shots.
When it came to closing time, the staff were doing their best to usher people onto the turntable to allow others a chance to get shots without people in but the requests generally fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, here's my effort....

The Great Gathering at the NRM. 15/7/13 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

The Great Gathering at the NRM. 15/7/13 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
From what I have read online, they only lost a fortune at Railfest because they allowed so many special guests in for free or at a reduced rate. While the weather didn't help, they weren't far off their target for attendance.

I can't see how they would loose a fortune if they charged a couple of pounds per person to get in?

Regardless of the reasons they lost 200k!!! - that isn't a small sum for a publicly funded museum. Perhaps once bitten twice shy sums up the position.

it also isn't cheap to put on such an exhibition and to sort out all of the logistics, legalities, insurances and the rest involved in moving all the exhibits to and from York.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I called in at the NRM yesterday, saw Mallard, Bittern, Dominion of Canada & Dwight Eisenhower which was great as apart from Mallard, I did not realise the others would still be here. I guess Union of South Africa and Sir Nigel are on mainline duties or in use on some of the preserved lines.

I also saw Flying Scotsman at the back, did not realise it was that loco at first as it had a funny number, 502 I think and was in a shabby black livery, I presume it is still being repaired.

Has anyone seen the model railway in one of the rooms at the back of the NRM, it was built I think by the LMS in around 1925 and was used infact for signal training until fairly recently.? It looked a fantastic layout, very well constructed and very solid looking. I think it still works and is demonstrated sometimes, I'd love to see it in action.

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Much quieter too I bet, so better for photos!

I also saw Flying Scotsman at the back, did not realise it was that loco at first as it had a funny number, 502 I think and was in a shabby black livery, I presume it is still being repaired.

It's in it's wartime black which it held. 502 was the number of it.

It is still being repaired and will no doubt be for a good while yet - that's for another topic though!

corin paul

Has anyone seen the model railway in one of the rooms at the back of the NRM, it was built I think by the LMS in around 1925 and was used infact for signal training until fairly recently.? It looked a fantastic layout, very well constructed and very solid looking. I think it still works and is demonstrated sometimes, I'd love to see it in action.

On the Saturday I went (13 July 2013) to see the Great Six, they where having a demonstrate of it at 11:00am with about 10-12 people to show how it worked. So yes it still works.

David10

Does anyone know the times for Mallard's journey to Grantham for display on the weekend of 7/8 September?

TheEdge

Established Member
Are they filling Mallard with lead just to make sure it doesn't get nicked?

Teaboy1

Hopefully Mallard will be back home for a few days.....
see your 'railway herald' if moderator dont mind the intrusion ...!

" The 1938-built world steam speed record holder will be on display to members of the public at Doncaster Railport on 14th/15th September, an even event that is open to all and has free entry.

Prior to this, a VIP viewing and gala dinner will take place within the 'Plant' at Doncaster on 11th September, which may possibly the last chance ever to see Mallard back in the historic Doncaster Plant Works where it was built.

Wabtec, which operates the works at Doncaster has allowed access to a lucky 100 ticketed guests and will host a special viewing of Mallard. Local dignitaries will be present, as will Tim Godfrey, grandson of Sir Nigel Gresley. During the VIP viewing, Mallard will emerge from the original Erecting Shop, the actual building where it was built 75 years ago, there will then be a coach transfer to Doncaster’s historic Georgian Mansion House for a four course dinner. Tickets for the viewing and dinner are £75 per person, to book call Doncaster Tourist Information Centre on 01302 734309.

Railport Weekend
Over the 14th/15th September, a free event at Freightliner Ltd’s Railport in Doncaster will allow members of the public to get up close to the locomotive between 10:00 and 17:00 on both days. There is no parking at Freightliner and visitors are strongly advised to travel by public transport, particularly on Leger day. A shuttle bus service will be operating approximately every 10 to 15 minutes from Doncaster Interchange to Mallard at Freightliner. The bus service number is 'Mallard 4468'. Those having no alternative but to travel by car should use Junction 3 of the M18 and follow the 'Park and Ride' signs. A regular shuttle bus service will also be operating from here direct to Mallard at Freightliner, approximately every 10 to 15 minutes. The bus service number is 'Mallard A4'.

In addition, a special exhibition 'MALLARD – A DONCASTER THOROUGHBRED', a celebration of A4 locomotives designed by Sir Nigel Gresley, is being held at Doncaster Museum & Art Gallery from 6th September until 2nd November. The museum is open from 10:30 until 16:15, Monday to Saturday. "

CU there.

High Dyke

Established Member
Slightly ironic that the 'big blue duck' is on display at Grantham 50 years to the day that the steam shed at Grantham closed...

For those asking about it's return journey north:

Monday 9th September
Code:
GTHMUPSDG       09:10
GRANTHAM  09:25 09:50
CLAYPOLE  10:06 10:20
NEWARKNGT 10:28 10:34
DONCASTER 12:07 12:12
DONWKSWAB 12:29

Status
Not open for further replies.