• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Dai Corner

Established Member
My hair used to be dark, but my stubble always had white and ginger patches, which is one reason I never grew a beard. I would have looked like a calico cat.
My beard and what's left of my head hair are grey but my eyebrows have stayed dark. It must be genetic as Mum's the same.

Think Alistair Darling

1699796595308.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thanks for this, certain I've never seen one but then I live in 'sticks'
The misuse of such items is not restricted to urban areas... indeed seeing them lying in the gutters on a morning round my way (fairly built up) is largely a thing of the past... they're still common near a relative's home in a mote rural setting.

My beard and what's left of my head hair are grey but my eyebrows have stayed dark. It must be genetic as Mum's the same.

Think Alistair Darling

View attachment 146423
Off-topic, but when he was in the cabinet, I hope Blackadder-style quips were something he had to face multiple times a day!

ian1944

You neither recognise nor know what is done by most "celebrities", even after who they are is explained. In the current run of Osman's House of Games, I never know more than one of the four "well-known faces" and usually none.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
You neither recognise nor know what is done by most "celebrities", even after who they are is explained. In the current run of Osman's House of Games, I never know more than one of the four "well-known faces" and usually none.
Many of these “celebrities “ are only famous for being “celebrities “in random quiz shows. I’ve never heard of most of them myself.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have found that for ages but then I tend to avoid fiction. There is enough fiction in reality !. Perhaps one knows one is getting older when one realises/believes that its all a load of fiction !.
Many of these “celebrities “ are only famous for being “celebrities “in random quiz shows. I’ve never heard of most of them myself.
So pointless in themselves !.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
When what would have been a 24 hour cold lasts over a week :'(
Dang. That is me right now. Wednesday 12 days ago the beginning of a sore throat became a lost voice and not much else for Wednesday and Thursday. Now it a coughing, sore throat+nosed grind of sleepless nights for a further 10 days. Originally thought I had got away with it lightly. First non-Covid infection since 2019 I guess.

johnnychips

Established Member
I was delighted today when I met one of my ex-students. I had taken a 19-year old out to play pool as part of his ‘accessing the community’ course, and she said ‘is that your son?’ Not grandson! Result!

Howardh

Established Member
Beginning to lose track of all the injections I've been asked to have since turning 65.
Covid, flu, pneumonia and last week shingles.
Also can't remember how many blood tests I've had, diabetes, prostrate, allergy are three and I bet there's more!

Stan63

When you're the one that people in the supermarket queue are complaining about for being too slow. The tables have turned.

Stan

dangie

Established Member
You know you’re getting older when while drinking your morning cuppa you see an advert on F*cebook for a ‘Smart Kettle‘ with Alexa, Google & Siri voice control, plus temperature settings between 40-100degC, can also be operated remotely by a phone app…. etc etc….

I always thought a kettle was simply to boil water. At least that’s what my £10 Argos kettle does.

Howardh

Established Member
...when my generation is probably the last generation that knows how to read and use a paper map, especially O/S ones.

Using sat nav and/or google maps (others are available as the BBC would say) following the blue dot is probably the equivalent now of when I was a kid and calculators replaced slide rules. :frown:

Typhoon

Established Member
...when my generation is probably the last generation that knows how to read and use a paper map, especially O/S ones.

Using sat nav and/or google maps (others are available as the BBC would say) following the blue dot is probably the equivalent now of when I was a kid and calculators replaced slide rules. :frown:
I used a grid reference to identify a burst water main. They wanted a postcode, it is a byway, the residents spend most of their time on four legs and don't receive post, consequently it was ignored for weeks because others used a nearby postcode, which is where the contractors went.

Advantage of paper maps - don't need a signal!

Howardh

Established Member
I used a grid reference to identify a burst water main. They wanted a postcode, it is a byway, the residents spend most of their time on four legs and don't receive post, consequently it was ignored for weeks because others used a nearby postcode, which is where the contractors went.

Well done!

Welshman

Established Member
When the various nurses at my medical practice see more of me than my wife.

When you hear references to "King Charles" and desperately try to remember your 17th Century school history.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member

You won't need a battery either.

PeterY

Established Member
Youngsters find it amazing that I can find my way, roads and footpaths using a map :D I still have and use a road atlas .

My lady friend read a text on my Doro phone (not a smart phone) and was trying to use her finger to move the text. I had to tell her to use the up and down buttons:D:D

ChrisC

Established Member
Youngsters find it amazing that I can find my way, roads and footpaths using a map :D I still have and use a road atlas .
When I got my last new car just over 2 years ago, the car salesman was amazed to see a road atlas on the back seat of the car I was selling. He asked me if I actually still used it. I never use a Satnav except occasionally for if I am trying to find a specific location in a large complicated urban area. Even if I’m doing a long journey of a few hundred miles, I study the map before I set off, and then can usually memorise the route without getting lost.

Dai Corner

Established Member
When I got my last new car just over 2 years ago, the car salesman was amazed to see a road atlas on the back seat of the car I was selling. He asked me if I actually still used it. I never use a Satnav except occasionally for if I am trying to find a specific location in a large complicated urban area. Even if I’m doing a long journey of a few hundred miles, I study the map before I set off, and then can usually memorise the route without getting lost.
Ditto. I tend to write down a list of road numbers and, if possible, get directions for the last few miles from whoever I'm visiting. Local knowledge usually trumps satnav calculations.

Forty29

Always refer to my atlas to plan long journeys usually for holidays. Easier than faffing about with a satnav where you might miss out on interesting stops.

Lost property

Reminds me of a especially smarmy, patronising BBC reporter (not seen every much anymore) a few years ago during inclement weather telling us all about the precautions we should take when driving in such...basically stating the obvious !...who said, if your sat nav fails, you'll need one of these old fashioned things....smirky smile as he held up... road atlas !

Like others on here, I check a route on a map first, and rarely use sat nav...my late lady's friend was amazed for example when on our last holiday, I drove to Seton Sands holiday park (very nice place) without using sat nav...there again, when I first acquired one a few years ago, when testing it, I was amused when it told me to leave the M60 at the A56..and rejoin after the Carrington spur !

I do wonder at times about the abilities of recent generations, now heavily reliant on technology, and their ability to cope when it crashes....map reading being one obvious example.