• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your railway in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Here in East Sussex....

Stagecoach won the mega Thameslink/Southern/GN contract from incumbents Govia and First.

The 313s have recently been retired from Coastway duties, displaced by refurbished 377s or 455s moved down from the London area following a new build of (3rd rail) suburban EMUs.

Gross overcrowding on the Marshlink and Uckfield lines has forced the hand of the DfT, who agreed a quick programme of 3rd rail electrification to fill in the gaps. Both lines are now in the hands of 377s. The Uckfield line is in the process of being re-doubled, after funding to re-open Uckfield-Lewes was finally granted.

The Bluebell Railway has collected enough donations to proceed with their Ardingly branch extension, but is riven with strife after controversial proposals were tabled to electrify the branch (3rd rail) for the use of preserved EMUs.

New-build stock has replaced the 442s on the Gatwick Express, and with no further interest in the 'Pigs', they have been cut-up.

The North Downs Line - now electrified (3rd rail) - serves Gatwick half-hourly, with the Redhill terminators extended.

The enhanced Thameslink service suffered a period of chronic unreliability after 2018, leading to near-revolt amongst commuters, but is now settling down.

First Class has been withdrawn from a number of routes across Surrey/Sussex: notably East Grinstead, all Coastway local services, and Reigate/Tonbridge/Horsham to London semi-fasts. Elsewhere, Stagecoach have made efforts to better differentiate and market the First Class service.

The railway re-opening campaigners have moved on from Uckfield-Lewes, and are now eyeing-up Guildford-Cranleigh.

Island Line is in the process of conversion to tram operation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oliMw

In Norfolk...

- The Great Eastern Main Line is likely to have a 110MPH intercity EMU or refurbished MK3 + 90? There is likely to be some improvements to infrastructure e.g another passing loop but nothing major like a 3rd line to Chelmsford

- Rural Services are likely to be pretty much the same with refurbished 153,156,170 but again no seriously major infrastructure projects e.g Breckland line electrification

- East West Rail link maybe direct services to Bristol from Norwich via Cambridge, Bedford, Milton Keynes, Oxford, Swindon, Chippenham and Bath (Well I can dream)

anthony263

Established Member
Bristol to East Anglia is not actually a very bad idea and I wouldnt be too surprised if it is looked at especially if it helps reduce some overcrowding on Bristol - London trains

Whistler40145

Established Member
I hope in 10 years time, Blackpool North would eventually have direct electric service to London, EMU service via Manchester Victoria to Leeds or York.

Also, current Leeds to Skipton EMU extended to start from York.

London Midland Crewe to London Euston starting at Manchester Piccadilly & routed via Macclesfield & Stoke on Trent.

Blackpool South to Kirkham electrified, Liverpool to Preston via Ornskirk as a through route using dual voltage EMUs.

WelshZ

Porth in ten years time?

Some brightening up of the station with a new footbridge, benches and ticket office. Services consisting of class 315's in three car formation refurbished to have a toilet installed, I expect much hemming and hawing by the assembly over wether to get new units or not but my cynicism tells me they will go for the cheaper option of refurbishing old units. s for the TOC operating them it will probably be "Rheilfyrdd/fordd Cymru" a not for profit TOC set up by the Assembly. Similar service level to a current with two trains an hour as there is no talk of an improved service level for the Rhondda line.

With the rest of the Valley lines I expect them to be run as a Valleys metro with the Beddau branch re-opened and maybe the line through Treharris to enable a circle service to be run. Pontypridd, Caerphilly, Central and Queen Street will have additional platforms and if there is any sense a new bridge over Newport Road to remove the junction between the Taff and Rhymney lines. As for the rest of the fleet Classes 142, 143 will sadly be sent to the breakers. The class 150's present an interesting case as it depends on wether or not the sag problems with the Class 153's turn out to be fatal, if not I expect the 150's will be cascaded north to help with eliminating pacers.

anthony263

Established Member
Well for the class 153's I have noticed one of ATW's 153's does seem to be sagging at all so perhaps there may still be hope for the class.

I dont think any of the main valley lines network will be getting additional services except for the core sections bounded by Pontypridd, Caerphilly, Penarth, Barry etc.

SEWTA stated it could be possible to path a 2tph Beddau - Cardiff service via Pontyclun using emu's even with the additional proposed stations at Miskin and St Fagans. Peronally I think the Beddau line will be re-opened via Pontyclun due to be being far cheaper than the route to Fairwater.

A circular service via Treharris I think wil happen as well as 4tph between Coryton and Cardiff Bay with a new station at Crwys Road.

Hopefully the Bridge over Newport road will get replaced as that is really the major bottleneck at Cardiff Queen Street. 2 seperate platforms for each of the routes north would also be good as it gives more flexibility

tsr

Established Member
I'm looking forward to seeing the possible Solum regeneration and an extra platform at Redhill Station (although two islands would be better for flexiblity, in my opinion), as well as possible reinstatements to platforms along the North Downs Line for fast services to overtake stoppers.

TSGN franchise services from stations such as Three Bridges towards the Great Northern stations, as well as from Horsham, Reigate, Tonbridge & Brighton, will be interesting to watch - eventual calling patterns, service frequencies and onboard facilities will be crucial to gain support after what may not be a seamless transition to the new network map!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
What's "aircon"? :? Don't think Northern Rail have such a thing! :roll:

Up north it does seem that we're stuck in Medieval times with knackered and old rolling stock. No wonder the KLF/The Jamms said its Grim Up North, now I know what they mean. I wouldn't be too suprised if we're saddled with the 313's being used on a possible Adwick - Scunthorpe local service or on the Barton Line.

---

I'm guessing that Finningley railway station would have reopened on the quite possibly enhanced (read hourly) Doncaster - Lincoln via Finningley line. The city of Ripon would once again be connected by rail by having a 'parkway' station built to the south east of the city with services to Leeds, York and London via Sheffield, as by which time the ECML would be at full capacity. Elland Lowfields, Hipperholme and Burton Agness railway stations are reopened.

Old Hill Bank

Not sure about the Worcester - Marylebone service but consider 2tph Worcester - Kidderminster - Dudley - Walsall - Lichfield and your 3tph Worcester - Snow Hill to be two from Foregate Street and one from Worcester Parkway connnecting out of XC and Paddington services.
Of course Class 172 what we need for any of this to happen is is a major re-signalling job from Abbotswood Junction through Droitwich on both routes to link up with what was done towards Kiddderminster and what needs to be done to enable the Bromsgrove project before this comes to fruition. Unless we can have three minute headways throughout the job will never get the buisness case through the investment system, which is dependant on getting freight off the Lickey and up through Dudley.

Grimsby town

For Grimsby I'd hope that the service frequency on a number of lines will have improved.

The Manchester service will hopefully be the same as now prehaps being run by 4 coach trains.

I'd hope the Lincoln service will be hourly to provide a decent service for Market Rasen and the service to be run by 2 coach trains prehaps reformed 155's

The Barton line will have be rationalised and hopefully be increased to hourly using new light tram train style trains based at Cleethorpes. Brigg will hopefully have a weekday service run by the same trains.

I could also see a daily London service operated by the IEP

trainplan1

So London-Amersham-Aylesbury....

I would like

1) Electrified throughout. Ideally OHLE all the way.
2) 4 Track to Rickmansworth, MET line to terminate there. Rickmansworth station rebuilt alongside Waitrose on straight track.
3) All platforms extended to at least 8 Car. (to accomodate 2x 4 Car Electrostar/Desiros etc). If possible to extend to 12 car for future proofing then great :D)
4) Grade seperate the Chesham branch junction.
5) Rebuild Marylebone to acommodate the above and the main line. Pockets reached into for anyone/businesses affected.
6) Through services to Milton Keynes/Bedford etc via the East-West link.
7) The hysterical local anti HS2 lot will then quieten down when they see a mass of investment to benefit them...

Ah to dream.

Oh sorry, what will actually happen?

Probably not much :|

anti-pacer

Established Member
In 10 years time I hope to WORKING on the railway!

Well, long before that would actually be preferable! ;)

SS4

Established Member
Gateway Plus will have been completed and HS2 phase 1 done,

I would like to see

Electrification of the snow hill lines (to the boundary of the WMPTE zone at least)

Coleshill Parkway and Water Orton to be in the WMPTE area for trains as they are for buses. This may have to be done when the XC franchise is tendered though as I cannot imagine them giving up their cash cow (a CEH-BHM monthly is £96.80 whereas a n-network 1-5 is £85 monthly by direct debit or £96 for 4 weeks)

PR1Berske

Established Member
I'm no expert (pause.....) but from what I understand, Preston in 2023 will have

*Greater number/size/frequency of services to/from BPN into (one hopes) a wider array of destinations
*Ditto to/from Chorley-Bolton-Manchester
*Success in improving times on the Ormskirk branch (and dare I dream the opening of Midge Hall/"Leyland West" ?)
*Platforms 1/2 at Preston station finally made to suit the reality of passenger numbers (cos they sure as heck haven't done for a while now)

PR1Berske

Established Member
In 10 years time would you honestly want 36 year old stock trundling around the North?

We deserve NEW trains, not old.

But the North never gets new trains, remember. I don't want to break this to you, but the North only ever gets hand-me-downs, a deliberate decision by the London-elite that runs the railway industry. Northern Rail are unable to (and I suspect unwilling to) order anything remotely new onto the system, whilst the south gets brand new lines, brand new stations, brand new stock.

We've got stock approaching its 30th birthday on northern lines now, don't act surprised when the same is true in 2020 or 2030....

PR1Berske

Established Member
You have got the new TPE 350s right?

All nine of them, and not until next year do we get all of them

But hey. NorthernRail are applying to temporarily lease units built between 1982 and 1990, I think it is, so we must be ever so 'umble.

D365

Veteran Member
All nine of them, and not until next year do we get all of them

But hey. NorthernRail are applying to temporarily lease units built between 1982 and 1990, I think it is, so we must be ever so 'umble.

*10 350/4s. In the future, Manchester-Scotland has been slated for transfer to WC when the 'Baby-Pendolinos' come around. With the Midland/WCML franchise receiving your 'cast-offs'. And once TPE North is electrified you will receive new EMUs. And that's only one part of the story. How I could go on...

Wow, nobody else wants those shoddy old 80s Mk3 EMUs... GN and GA franchises have taken on the most of the 317s and 321s over time, and we're still using a large number of 70s PEPs for the forseeable future. Some of them are in a pretty poor condition here. Because it's black-and-white either side of the north-south divide. Oh, how my heart goes out to you. Humble my backside.

anti-pacer

Established Member
*10 350/4s. In the future, Manchester-Scotland has been slated for transfer to WC when the 'Baby-Pendolinos' come around. With the Midland/WCML franchise receiving your 'cast-offs'. And once TPE North is electrified you will receive new EMUs. And that's only one part of the story. How I could go on...

Please do! Tell us what else we should be grateful for!

ed1971

Really? I'd been told the doorframes were unsuitable and made it impossible (or maybe that was just uneconomical?).

I find this a bit of a farce as the 156s have narrower doorways and I find it awkward when carrying shopping to pass other passengers to get on and off them. I don't know how someone in a wheelchair manages, yet these units will be able to stay in service post 2019.

The Pacers on the other hand have wide doorways and with the foldaway ramp provided it is easy for a wheelchair bound person to board. There is also plenty space for the wheelchair when they are on board, unlike the 156s.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
It depends which pacers, 143/4s are not too bad and look to be refurbished by Porterbrook and re-let, as they will be DDA compliant. As for the 142s...

KaPOWitsCHRIS

More than one train an hour between Coventry and Leamington. A station to actually be built at the Ricoh Arena. I know it's on it's way, but actually finished y'know. Electrification of that line also. Electrification from Moor Street to Marylebone as well. And perhaps some new trains from Coventry down to Euston, even faster than the 390s? Y'know, to compete with HS2. One can dream.

Established Member
*10 350/4s. In the future, Manchester-Scotland has been slated for transfer to WC if the 'Baby-Pendolinos' come around. With the Midland/WCML franchise receiving your 'cast-offs'. And once TPE North is electrified you will receive new EMUs. And that's only one part of the story. How I could go on...

Just changed that slightly for you...

I think the irritation in the North is actually over the local services, buying new rolling stock for which is very difficult to justify because they are not as profitable as routes like Manchester to Scotland or the North East. If new trains for local lines come into service, they will not be without considerable fare increases, so people will still complain.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member

I think the irritation in the North is actually over the local services, buying new rolling stock for which is very difficult to justify because they are not as profitable as routes like Manchester to Scotland or the North East. If new trains for local lines come into service, they will not be without considerable fare increases, so people will still complain.

Fair enough I suppose...

anti-pacer

Established Member

I'd happily pay more for decent trains.

Look at the 333's on the Leeds/Bradford-Ilkley/Skipton, and Leeds-Bradford FS routes. As soon as they were introduced, passenger numbers went up and they had to add a 4th carriage.

It can be done, and we are a big metropolitan area with decent patronage, not some backwater line in Mid Wales or somewhere equally rural.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I disagree. Twenty pounds day return between Bingley and Lancaster for example, and no doubt similar fares for routes such as Newcastle - Carlisle and the Yorkshire coast are quite enough already, thank you very much. They are also equivalent to similar distances in many areas in the South and more than justify appropriate rolling stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.