• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Youths sought after attack on train

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-15991147

It goes without saying that I hope these scumbags are caught. My point of note here is that perhaps naively I was surprised at the time of the incident - early morning rather than late night. I would have assumed this was a rather calmer time of day.

Also, are people so incredibly stupid not to realise they are on CCTV in so many areas of life nowadays? Fingers crossed they will be recognised.

:-x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

branchline

I was assaulted at 5am on the way to rugby from bletchley back in August.

Just me, the driver and the nutter on the train at the time.

Robinson

Never seen anything like that at that time of day...
I've only been on a train that got stopped for an incident like that once, and that was on a Saturday evening...

the sniper

Established Member
I wouldn't say it's common, but it certainly happens. I've found that it's generally lads who aren't able to get cabs home, either through lack of cash or just because cab drivers won't take them, so they end up waiting at the local station for the first train of the day.

I've only dealt with two pre-0700hrs incidents though during my time on the railway, one was just a ticketless girl who had to be removed from the train, the other a group of 3 lads who'd got a bit sweary in a debate with the Guard and other passengers. Unpleasant for the passengers and member of staff, but luckily there was no violence involved. Enough for arrest under S5 POA though.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I expect they'd been waiting/ were still bladdered from the night before.
Personally I couldn't just stand and let that happen to me, and would've lost it totally, but that's why I'm not dealing with these fu**wits as my job.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
And sadly CCTV didnt seem to deter these two.

But at least it should make identification easier.

The question is though, are they that bothered about being caught on CCTV? Probably nothing much will come of it anyway and they will get a slap on the wrist from the police and be let off lightly.

Maybe we can learn a thing or two from Singapore and bring in the cane. :lol:

bAzTNM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-15991147

It goes without saying that I hope these scumbags are caught. My point of note here is that perhaps naively I was surprised at the time of the incident - early morning rather than late night. I would have assumed this was a rather calmer time of day.
I'm sure I've mentioned this before. I always find early morning (5am to 9am) to be, normally, the worst times for trouble when I'm out and about. The place is normally filled with the ones that have been drunk and drugged all night coming home, and they are looking for someone to annoy.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I'm sure I've mentioned this before. I always find early morning (5am to 9am) to be, normally, the worst times for trouble when I'm out and about. The place is normally filled with the ones that have been drunk and drugged all night coming home, and they are looking for someone to annoy.

Aren't they mostly commuters that travel during that time?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Depends on the direction of travel. At 5am, trains into King's Cross may have shift workers coming in to town - or those with early flights/meetings. Going OUT of King's Cross will be full of people going back after a night out, sleeping across the seats!

I know, I've been one of them and the train is like a sleeper train! Plenty of people who have had rather too many, but usually quite passive. I guess there will be the odd time that you'll get people who are still quite awake and potentially aggressive.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thats right, I was the guard.

D'oh!

Actually I have taken a few "red eye" trains from Milton Keynes to London before. Like the 0435. Some real nutcases on board. Always feel nervous in case anything kicks off, as I'm staff travelling on Priv tickets and would feel obliged to help. Sleep with one eye open etc.

tsr

Established Member
Sadly, I am not surprised, living near Redhill station and frequently using it. The local police, who seem a pretty good lot, are having crackdowns now all the time on drink and drugs, on the plus side, so hopefully this will form part of one of them.

At least the substance involved wasn't something worse than whisky - however humiliating that was. I'm sorry to hear about this nonetheless. It's clear if they wanted to dispose of a bottle of whisky, it might well have been part of their large drinking stash for the night before and I imagine they might not even remember this incident.

6.30am wouldn't exactly be the earliest train through Redhill. I did actually see it mentioned on Southern's website that this train was delayed due to disruptive passengers, although I wasn't affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.