• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Youtube video advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crompton Karl

Hello everyone,

I am new to video's as i have just taken the plunge and got a Sony HDD Handy cam and have some videos i'd like to load to youtube. I have a few questions and wonder if you guys/girls might have the answers.

The files are between 180-250mb, are these too big to load to youtube because i tried to load one last night and it was taking ages (over an hour), i know my connection can be slow sometimes but not that bad.

If they are too large can i compress them in some way?

Any suggestions?

I am a total novice at video so any advice would be helpfull.

Many thanks

Karl :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Hi Karl

What software/method (eg USB) are you using to transfer the videos? Also how long are they (approx), the files appear rather large but if the videos are long then they are as expected.

I use WMM to transfer videos from my camcorder, there are a variety of quality settings you can use, DV quality would produce very large file sizes for example!

Will be able to help more once you give us some more info

Cheers

Jordy

Crompton Karl

Well i think my main problem is i took the video at the highest settings for quality on the camera, therefore a 2-4 min clip is between 140 - 250 mb and when i try to compress the file via windows movie maker it just really makes the video unwatchable. Far too grainy. So if i try to upload the large file to youtube it takes forever, so much so that my computer times out and goes into power saving mode, which i have now disabled so i will re-try it again later.

I use the Sony software that came with the camera to transfer the video from the camera, and to chop it up into managable lumps. Have got movie maker but really haven't used it much yet.

What is the biggest size video you have uploaded to youtube and how long did it take?

Established Member
Well i think my main problem is i took the video at the highest settings for quality on the camera, therefore a 2-4 min clip is between 140 - 250 mb and when i try to compress the file via windows movie maker it just really makes the video unwatchable. Far too grainy. So if i try to upload the large file to youtube it takes forever, so much so that my computer times out and goes into power saving mode, which i have now disabled so i will re-try it again later.

I use the Sony software that came with the camera to transfer the video from the camera, and to chop it up into managable lumps. Have got movie maker but really haven't used it much yet.

What is the biggest size video you have uploaded to youtube and how long did it take?

Biggest Ive done was 373.5MB and took about 4 hours on my system :shock:

RJ

Established Member
Crompton Karl said:
The files are between 180-250mb, are these too big to load to youtube because i tried to load one last night and it was taking ages (over an hour), i know my connection can be slow sometimes but not that bad.

Karl, uploads speed rates are typically a fraction of download speed rates. I have up to 8MB download speed, but upload is up to a mere ≈ 512kb. This is compounded by the fact that the actual upload/download speeds are a fraction of those figures.

I'm the wally you need for youtube:lol:.

Pointless gibber...

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's our job to decide what is pointless RJ. Keep it nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.