• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 88 UKDual & EuroDual

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosherB

Established Member
A class 88 made its first revenue freight journey today hauling the Tesco intermodal from Daventry to Mossend.

I was most impressed to see a full load (bar one container) and no backup 68 attached.

If this carries on, especially through inclement weather, I will have to eat my words!

And partly operated on diesel! :shock:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
I thought the big advantage of the 88 is that it can switch to diesel and run into the container load/unload area. An electric-only engine requires a reception siding from which a shunter can move the train under the cranes.

Sunbird24

The 88 can operate in both modes, either singly or together and changing on the move. It's limit load is 1800 tons I understand, whether for that route or all routes I don't yet know.

TimboM

Established Member
The 88 can operate in both modes, either singly or together and changing on the move. It's limit load is 1800 tons I understand, whether for that route or all routes I don't yet know.

I'm assuming the 1800 ton(nes?) limit load is for when it's running on A/C - certainly for main line running?

furnessvale

Established Member
I'm assuming the 1800 ton(nes?) limit load is for when it's running on A/C - certainly for main line running?

I think it has the same tractive effort in diesel as well as electric mode so in theory it can shift the same load. However it may top Shap at 2mph! and only then if the rails stay dry!

TimboM

Established Member
I think it has the same tractive effort in diesel as well as electric mode so in theory it can shift the same load. However it may top Shap at 2mph! and only then if the rails stay dry!

Ah ok - but in reality the diesel tractive effort would be adequate/suitable for shunting/moving a big load like the Tesco train in/out of an un-electrified yard and then the electric is suited to hauling it up Shap/Beattock etc.

furnessvale

Established Member
Ah ok - but in reality the diesel tractive effort would be adequate/suitable for shunting/moving a big load like the Tesco train in/out of an un-electrified yard and then the electric is suited to hauling it up Shap/Beattock etc.

Correct, although I still think the diesel side is being oversold as MORE than a last mile unit.

It will be handy when the wires come down and it can take a diversion, albeit at a reduced speed.

TimboM

Established Member
Correct, although I still think the diesel side is being oversold as MORE than a last mile unit.

It will be handy when the wires come down and it can take a diversion, albeit at a reduced speed.

The fuel capacity/consumption will be interesting too. No doubt its diesel engine will be very efficient, but I'm assuming it doesn't have huge fuel tanks given what else needs to fit in the loco and the fact its diesel capability is designed for that "last mile(ish)".

If it was trying to shift the Tesco train, for example, I expect the mpg would be pretty high (even with a modern efficient engine) - so would be interested to know what the range would be. I'm guessing a reasonable diversion as you suggest wouldn't be a problem, but possibly could go on for hundreds of miles?

furnessvale

Established Member
The fuel capacity/consumption will be interesting too. No doubt its diesel engine will be very efficient, but I'm assuming it doesn't have huge fuel tanks given what else needs to fit in the loco and the fact its diesel capability is designed for that "last mile(ish)".

If it was trying to shift the Tesco train, for example, I expect the mpg would be pretty high (even with a modern efficient engine) - so would be interested to know what the range would be. I'm guessing a reasonable diversion as you suggest wouldn't be a problem, but possibly could go on for hundreds of miles?

I think Vossloh are insisting it is more than last mile.

At least in a wires down situation it can drag the train to a place of safety, either back under working OHLE or somewhere a full size diesel can join it.

TimboM

Established Member
I think Vossloh are insisting it is more than last mile.

At least in a wires down situation it can drag the train to a place of safety, either back under working OHLE or somewhere a full size diesel can join it.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough given the propensity for overhead wires to come down!

Sunbird24

It has an 1800 litre fuel tank so way more than the norm of c250 litres of most last mile designs. I would not be surprised to see them on some nuclear workings in the future. TPE expressed an interest in them but they would not be able to provide train services and maintain most schedules away from the wires.

apk55

The maximum load that a loco can haul depends on the maximum up gradient and the locos maximum tractive effort. If a loco can not restart a train on the steepest gradient then there is a possibility of being stalled and stuck requiring assistance. Lesser loads may be specified where there is a timing requirement. As the tractive effort is the same for the both diesel and electric modes then the load would be the same.

1650ton load on the train. Operated in electric mode for most of it. Performed within the timings for the train on Shap and Beattock.

Euroterminal at Mossend isn't completely wired AFAIK and seeing as the point of the loco was to overcome such eventualities, it worked the last leg on diesel as it is able to transition on the move.

TimboM

Established Member
It has an 1800 litre fuel tank so way more than the norm of c250 litres of most last mile designs. I would not be surprised to see them on some nuclear workings in the future. TPE expressed an interest in them but they would not be able to provide train services and maintain most schedules away from the wires.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, you'd think the nuclear trains would be an obvious option - the light load and a mix of electrified lines and non-electrified would cause the 88 no issues whatsoever. Also added redundancy in the event of any issue under the wires.

I have it on very good authority they won't be on TPE as you say. Never say never though (e.g. in an "emergency")...!

CosherB

Established Member
Thanks for the info.

Yes, you'd think the nuclear trains would be an obvious option - the light load and a mix of electrified lines and non-electrified would cause the 88 no issues whatsoever. Also added redundancy in the event of any issue under the wires.

I have it on very good authority they won't be on TPE as you say. Never say never though (e.g. in an "emergency")...!

Indeed, however, I doubt that DRS originally envisaged their pride of the fleet being used in pairs on such a duty! ;)

TimboM

Established Member
Indeed, however, I doubt that DRS originally envisaged their pride of the fleet being used in pairs on such a duty! ;)

It's what DRS was originally set up to do - surely the crown jewel of their operations!? ;)

I did read somewhere the (new?) DRS boss had asked for the flasks to be 68 hauled wherever possible (i.e. instead of "classic" traction) and indeed these days it is more often than not a pair of 68s, so joking aside, DRS are clearly not averse to using their newer, more efficient/reliable locos on the flasks.

CosherB

Established Member
Reported elsewhere that the 88 'failed' it's poor railhead conditions test over Beattock yesterday; a 34 minute climb with speed down to 5mph at one point. It may only have been the first indication of wet weather performance, but it doesn't sound great.

TimboM

Established Member
Reported elsewhere that the 88 'failed' it's poor railhead conditions test over Beattock yesterday; a 34 minute climb with speed down to 5mph at one point. It may only have been the first indication of wet weather performance, but it doesn't sound great.

Any idea what load it was hauling?

And did it make the top (eventually)?

Any idea what load it was hauling?

And did it make the top (eventually)?

38 IKAs from memory. Train length was 710m.

Yes eventually, sanding problems like 68s have so ran out almost immediately

No wires in the Stobart Mossend Terminal. Switches to bi-mode whilst approaching the terminal.

TimboM

Established Member
Diesel mode, hence the pantograph is down.

May have been asked before, but whilst it was diesel only on this occasion, are the 88s able to have both modes providing power at once? Or is it once or the other?

gsnedders

Established Member
May have been asked before, but whilst it was diesel only on this occasion, are the 88s able to have both modes providing power at once? Or is it once or the other?

I should've been more explicit: I believe it's one or the other, though wherever I read that probably isn't totally trustworthy (given the amount of technical misinformation that gets about!).

TimboM

Established Member
I should've been more explicit: I believe it's one or the other, though wherever I read that probably isn't totally trustworthy (given the amount of technical misinformation that gets about!).

Indeed - that's why I was asking to see if someone can give a definitive answer on here...! You'd think it would be one or the other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.